Home

Got schooled on canning soups.....

Posted By: Gary Benson

Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 12:30 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 12:40 AM

Then how do they make Campbells chicken noodle soup or Campbells chicken and rice soup.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sullivan K
Then how do they make Campbells chicken noodle soup or Campbells chicken and rice soup.

I'm guessing alot of preservatives!

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by Sullivan K

I'm guessing alot of preservatives!

I believe they can them at a much higher temperature therefore a much higher pressure.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:14 AM

And alot of ingredients that begin with Sodium. smile
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:14 AM

I've canned soups with pretty much all of those ingredients at one time or the other. Still eating tomato soup I canned 2 years ago that had flour and milk in it. That said, the items in that list have not been tested by the USDA for home canning methods and are therefore "not recommended".

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:16 AM

They certainly are salty.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:19 AM

This says you can, I never tried it myself.

https://practicalselfreliance.com/canning-soup/#SnippetTab
Posted By: hippie

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 01:22 AM

Oh, yea it says the ingredients you mentioned are a no-no.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 02:23 AM

Summa these were fermenting and under pressure. I may never eat soup again!
Posted By: charles

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 02:27 AM

Did you use a hot water bath or a pressure canner? We only pressure can now. Lots of tuna over the years. Maybe 500 lbs. never lost a can to spoilage when pressure canning.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 02:40 AM

Both waterbathed and canned failed.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 03:41 AM

you can , can potatoes , it has to be some combination of things that is the issue.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 10:51 AM

I've can soup with no problems, but potatoes are hard to can, and any potatoes has to be pressure can. I can chowder and never had a problem.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 11:14 AM

I've canned a few things, potatoes can very well for me.
Only soup I've canned is bean soup. And I've seen and read of people saying you can't can beans in a soup.
I have no idea what went wrong with your soups.
Might be under processing, or siphoning and food getting stuck under the lids.
I belong to a few canning sites, and soups are canned all the time.
Granted , pasta isn't recommended as canned, too mushy , flour isn't a thickener that I ever used.
I use CLEAR GEL or THERM FLO for thickeners.

Like said in this post above, if you can buy it in a can at the store, you can, can it.
I know commercial canning is a different process , in bulk numbers and batch sizes.
IMHO it's not much different than home canning.
Look around on Face Book for the different canning sites.
There's people on them that have canned many different things, even mac and cheese.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 11:46 AM

I’d recommend getting a ball book and following the directions. The internet is a bad place to get canning advice. IMO. This talk of canning flour, noodles, water bathing etc. has me really nervous. I might experiment a little if it was just me, but three families rotate through our canned goods and sometimes a few friends snag a jar or two. No way would I try a non proven recipe on them.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 04:42 PM

You can can soup. If the soup you canned was fermenting then you canned it incorrectly. Plenty of canning soup recipes out there. Use an approved one, not a rebel one. Say anything from a recent Ball Recipe Book.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 06:09 PM

There are items that interfer with the process, many of which are starchy type things like corn startch etc. I make a lot of salsa, say 75 pints per year, but I never put starchy type things like some do or recipies call for. Learned that from the home economics eduactor decades ago.
when I make my chili and soups I freeze all of those. I make hash brown and lefse etc. and freeze those as well.

Bryce
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/26/24 06:57 PM

I can soups with those ingredients.
Posted By: charles

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 12:58 AM

Was this a one time failure this year? Have you always had success with your soups? Scratching my head here.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 01:54 AM

I’ve eaten hundreds of jars of soup from our pantry, bean, pea, vegetable, also canned potatoes. Your missing something.I just discussed this with my wife, she said maybe you got a bad batch of lids.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 01:48 PM

We can 100's of jars annually. Soup, meat, veggies, fruit, etc. Each one calls for different processing times. We enjoy canning potatoes because they last longer than the fresh ones. Never had an issue. New Ball lids have a smaller rubber seal than they did a few years ago. I believe the quality of the canning equipment is the reason many folks the last few years have had issues. Even the quart jars weigh less than they did a few years ago. Although I do not can with flour, I use clear-gel as a thickener.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Was this a one time failure this year? Have you always had success with your soups? Scratching my head here.

Three different soups failed....ham and bean was okay
All done within a couple weeks of each other. I learned a valuable lesson.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 02:48 PM

What’s the lesson you learned, are you going to freeze rather than can?

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 04:33 PM

Freeze, and pay closer attention to what goes in stuff I want to can!

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 04:45 PM

Freeze, and pay closer attention to what goes in stuff I want to can!

Got ya. Good luck on the next batch!

I stick to the book and have never had a problem with soup, or anything else for that matter. I like saving the freezer space and the speed in food prep canning has over freezing. For most stuff anyway. Id way rather have frozen sweet corn than canned for example.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 05:04 PM

We just had a mishap canning butternut squash soup base for the first time. Recipe said cube squash and potatoes along with celery and onions and bring to a boil for 2 mins and drain immediately so the squash stays whole and doesn’t mash……well, following the recipe exactly the squash fell apart as we tried to jar it. Ended up freezing as I know you’re not supposed to can mashed squash, which the recipe very explicitly also pointed out. Next time gonna try adding boiling water to the stuff for two mins and drain, or just can it all from raw.

Does anyone know why you boil potatoes before canning?

Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 05:16 PM

I've had good luck canning potatoes but don't like the consistency.
I think I've also got bad information on the internet. For example I read that you don't need to boil your lids in hot water anymore before putting them on a jar. I will continue to get them hot.
And as mentioned, lids are probly made cheaper than they used to be.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW
Does anyone know why you boil potatoes before canning?
Because they said so. In other words that is the only way they have officially tested them. Raw pack may be ok for pressure canning, but, because they are so dense it is difficult to ensure they get heated up enough in the center, without becoming mush. Again because it is not a published recipe; so, you are on your own
I've had good luck canning potatoes but don't like the consistency.
The type of potato, makes a huge difference in the final texture. Some are great, others, not so much.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 07:01 PM

So when you guys put the lids and bands on, do you finger- tighten them, crank them down, or finger-tight them while they process and then crank them after you take them out?

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 07:41 PM

So when you guys put the lids and bands on, do you finger- tighten them, crank them down, or finger-tight them while they process and then crank them after you take them out?

Many on here have said what they do or don't do.
I like to follow USDA standards , but on some things they really haven't tested them.
I used to believe water bath canning or oven canning meat was a NO, NO!
After more studying examples , find that they work, have been done long before pressure canning became a method.
My thoughts are if they failed , something was forgotten , or a step was missed.
Someone brought up jars aren't as heavy as before, same as lids aren't as thick or have a rubber seal as thick or as large as before.
All of that is true.
I saw a deal over 20 years ago , on E BAY , for lids around 4 cents each.
They came out of Cincinnati area , bought thousands of them.
Never have had a buckled or failed seal unless siphoning accrued .
Then only the seal failed once the material under the lid decomposed and caused a leak between the lid and jar.
Ran out of pint jars and bought some new ones , lids and rings.
Made a batch of green beans , used the new lids and as mentioned above finger tight with the rings.
Finger tight is different for everyone.
I tighten as tight as I can with just my fingers , and a little more.
Never had a lid buckle until I used the new lids on the new pint jars.
Doesn't take much to see the difference between the newer lids and my stash of older lids.
And I reuse them, something you might not want to try with the newer lids.
Same with canners.
I have a bunch of old National canners , and those canners are heavy .
Close to a half inch thick.
The canners today are lighter and from what I've read , have more problems than canning with the older canners.
I never liked the idea of " JUST SET IT AND FORGET IT " as the newer canners have so many gadgets and stops and pop ups and dials and just set it and forget it ideas.
I maybe old fashion , but those old canners I have will out last the newer ones by another 100 years.
I also use propane turkey fryer burners for canning outside!
Why heat up the house when most of the canning is being done in the summer?
To me it's just what you want to believe in.
I'll stick with the old ways and older canners.

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/27/24 07:48 PM

One more thing , I take the rings off once the jars are cooled.
A good seal doesn't need a ring.
So why tighten the rings when you take the jars out of the canner?
The ring isn't going to make it seal, the air pressure outside of the jar and the vacuum inside the jar is what causes the seal.
I've never run out of rings.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 01/31/24 04:52 PM

Lids go on finger tight. Some peoples finger tight isn't very tight and they wonder why that have issues. I'd say I go snug which I would consider to be just passed finger tight but not cinched down as hard as I can if that makes sense.

Jars aren't stored with rings, just the lid. Leaving the ring on can cause problems. If the lid fails you want it to fail and you don't want a ring on there helping hide or reseal the failure.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 02/01/24 10:21 AM

what ohioboy said just make sure you don't over tighten them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Got schooled on canning soups..... - 02/01/24 12:16 PM

We canned veggies soup again. They all sealed and we'll monitor them closely.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums