Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 11:35 AM

Some traps?
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 11:43 AM

I will this evening after work
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 12:31 PM

I have a few to check this afternoon in the rain....................................on a ATV

Has been raining the past 24+ hours and I doubt anything was moving much but if they are set you gotta check
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 03:43 PM

In order to be a successful trapper you must be an optimist. And it helps if you believe in Santa Claus No matter what the weather may be how many traps you are checking how many critters you already caught at you current sets trapping is more enjoyable when you have a chance of catching some thing For many years I was checking my lines before going to work So time constrictions sometimes forced me to not remake sets But if the trap was not set I was certainly not going to make a catch And as far as believing in Santa some days the first sets I checked had a catch and my reaction was maybe today is going to be a very good catch day Only to not having any more luck that morning On many trips on the line I was driving by sets that where empty and as I was getting close to being finish for that day and after I suspected I might get skunked I would have something in one of the last sets for that morning But even after checking 40 or 50 empty sets I would already be thinking how it would be a better day on the next trip just checking traps . So yes I would like to go
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 04:02 PM

I do predator control trapping on my place in early spring. A couple years ago, after a couple weeks of trapping, I didnt catch anything two days in a row and was complaining about my lack of success. My wife said “I thought that was your goal, catch them until there were no more to catch”
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 04:36 PM

Once while talking to a trapper that made his living trapping and was also in the trap supply business He said they call me a professional trapper But the truth is I check a lot of empty traps every season .When I was pushing hard some seasons trying to catch what for me was a high number of furs I would be checking 50 to 60 sets per day before and after work And some days I caught nothing And it was to my advantage to not catch more than 4 or 5 animals In that way I could keep up putting up the fur I caught each day .
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Anybody Want to Check - 01/23/24 05:49 PM

Walked through 3" of fresh snow to check mine this morning. I only have a few sets out to hopefully pickup some transient coyotes. I will probably pull them in the next couple of days.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums