Home

Shrimp Jambalaya

Posted By: Bigbuck

Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/20/24 11:59 PM

Who has a great recipe for shrimp jambalaya? I use to have a great recipe that I got from a member I met at the Missouri Trappers Rendezvous in Chillicothe, MO. about 7 years ago, but seem to have lost it.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 12:47 AM

1lb shrimp peeled, save shells for stock

Season with a couple teaspoons cajun seasoning and set aside. I prefer small to medium in jambalaya and gumbo. Save the large and jumbo for frying or boiling.

1lb smoked sausage or andouille sliced 1/4" rounds, I use conecuh
1 large onion diced, save skins and trimmings for stock
2 stalks celery diced
1 large bell pepper diced, save seeds and trimming for stock
2 tsp thyme
4-6 cloves garlic minced
2-3 bay leaves

1 can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cup rice uncooked
3 cups stock
1 T worchestershire
1-2 tsp Tabasco

Stock, melt a teaspoon or two of butter in a stockpot. Toss in shells, onion, garlic, vegetable trimmings, thyme scraps a bay leaf, salt pepper to taste. Saute until fragrant and softened. Add 4 cups water, you want to end up with 3 cups, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for half an hour.

Jambalaya, heat some oil in a pot and brown sausage. Set sausage aside, quickly sear shrimp but don't cook through, set aside. Add more oil if needed and saute the trinity scraping up the fond. Once softened Add garlic thyme and bay until aromatic. Add tomatoes, worchestershire, rice and sausage. Tabasco to taste and 3 cups stock.

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for twenty minutes. Add shrimp and cook five more minutes to finish rice and shrimp.

Garnish with chopped green onions.

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 03:21 AM

Hey thanks Warrior. Does anybody else have another recipe that's a little different from warrior's?
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 03:24 AM

Look up stale kracker. on YouTube. I think he's funny as heck. Does a lot of cajun cooking.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 03:26 AM

I'm waiting for wolfdog to weigh in.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbuck
Hey thanks Warrior. Does anybody else have another recipe that's a little different from warrior's?

You don't need another recipe...if you don't like this one, adjust it a little to your taste!

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
I'm waiting for wolfdog to weigh in.

Yeah I bet he's got a great one! Where are you wolfdog? Your needed
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/21/24 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by Bigbuck

You don't need another recipe...if you don't like this one, adjust it a little to your taste!

That’s what I was thinking. Actually my first thought was, who doesn’t have a Paul Prudhome and Justin Wilson cookbooks in their home? “Talk about Good”, and “Cajun Cooking”, (older and probably hard to find), are also some I’ve about wore out.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Shrimp Jambalaya - 01/22/24 12:44 AM

Here’s a couple I have yet to have a bad recipe from Emeril.

https://www.emerils.com/122720/shrimp-and-ham-jambalaya

https://www.emerils.com/121423/cajun-jambalaya
© 2024 Trapperman Forums