Home

Garmin Etrex 10 question

Posted By: kytrapper

Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 05:37 PM

I’ve had a simple yellow Etrex 10 for years that has served me fine. It died. My buddy loaned me a newer Etrex 10 that has a thumb stick to get me through the season. It’s completely different. I looked online at the manual but I can’t deduce how to mark a waypoint and go to it. Any just quick simple tip to help me from someone that uses one? Or is there a quick guide online somewhere? Thanks

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 05:44 PM

Looks like YouTube might provide my answers.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 05:51 PM

One of my sons bought an old yellow one at a yard sale for $1.
Pulled out bad batteries, cleaned contacts, fresh Batts and good to go!
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 05:57 PM

I have a new Etrex 10 that i never used if your interested

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 06:03 PM

I’m going to try to get through rest of season with this one and get a much more detailed replacement.
Posted By: mully

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 06:26 PM

I think you push in on the joystick to mark a waypoint if I remember correctly.
Posted By: jk

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 09:40 PM

Mine is over 20 years old. I did not know that they would go bad. I would hate to loose all the waypoints I have in that thing.......jk
Posted By: Clark

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 10:49 PM

Push and hold the joystick to create a new waypoint. Press and hold the upper right button to find waypoints. At least, that is on the newer ones. They are good little units that do way more than most trappers will ever need.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jk
Mine is over 20 years old. I did not know that they would go bad. I would hate to loose all the waypoints I have in that thing.......jk

Mine is twenty years old and still ticking. Keep the battery compartment clean

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 11:02 PM

I’ll get the old one out and clean it. It just goes to some sort of “version screen” when I turn it on and won’t do anything else.

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/19/24 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Clark
Push and hold the joystick to create a new waypoint. Press and hold the upper right button to find waypoints. At least, that is on the newer ones. They are good little units that do way more than most trappers will ever need.

Thank you
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/20/24 03:00 PM

I bought a Garmin Striker for my boat. The directions were complicated, IMO. So, I went to You Tube and watched a tutorial on how to use it marking waypoints, etc. I would think you could do the same thing in You Tube by typing in Etrex 10. Good luck.

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/20/24 04:24 PM

I cleaned the contacts per someone’s suggestion and I’m getting a normal screen now. No battery acid issue and they didn’t look dirty but I’m hoping for the best.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Garmin Etrex 10 question - 01/20/24 04:38 PM

Like some say...I don't care which north is, I want to know where I left my truck. The basic eTrex does that for me. This thing is still functioning fine after all these years. It loses signal under dense canopy and the directional arrow lags as you're walking about.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums