Home

Extended warranty for vehicle ?

Posted By: Dillrod

Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 05:37 PM

My lack of good fortune has forced me to purchase one more vehicle in my life
I'm going to be financing this.
I'm leaning towards a late model year of the 2nd generation of Tacoma's.
I want to protect myself from disaster if it comes.

Anyone have a good or bad experience with these types of warranties?

I'm seeking any advice.

Just hate the thought of not being covered as well as possible.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 05:44 PM

Most extended vehicle warranties are a scam!!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 05:45 PM

A waste of $ in my mind. Whatever goes wrong isn't covered.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:01 PM

Check the insurance costs on a Tacoma the coverage is not cheap, some of the fancy models have a crazy amounts of electronics and add-ons. I bought a 2018 off road to get the crawl control and it came with a lot of unneeded bling that I could live without. The guy tried to sell me several individual policies (electronics, drive train, i cant remember the rest once the scam alarms went off i stopped paying attention.

Instead of just one policy to cover the truck they listed several options so was it that complexed or are they over selling the warranty options? Plus it was covered under the warranty I cut that off quickly. Dealerships play a lot of games with how they cover warranties you can bet the goal is to pay little to nothing out of their pockets on the repairs. They used to pull the 50/50 warranty con thats where they charge you double then split the costs with the buyer.

My neighbor has extended warranty and he likes it but that's not through a dealership its 3rd party at least you have more accountability if the dealer is not in total control of the billing.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:01 PM

Sounds like my worst fears
I understand that insurance is a numbers game.
But how do you protect your loan?
Posted By: midlander

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:11 PM

If youre that worried, just take the extra amount youd be paying for the scam warranty and set it aside into an emergency fund each month. If something happens a couple years down the road youll have the funds. If nothing ever happens, youll be money ahead. The dealerships and third parties push those warranty products hard because its a huge money maker for them...the actuarial numbers are never in your favor.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:15 PM

Law Dog
I did see something about that on a dealership website
While browsing their certified 3rd generation and I am trying to avoid anything from that build platform.
But maybe I will have to succumb to them.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:29 PM

Waste of money.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:32 PM

Can anyone tell me about their experience or maybe a freinds ?
I want to hear about the failures
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:33 PM

I purchased a used pickup a couple years ago. I also purchased an extended warranty. Best money I ever spent. First thing the heater did not put out enough heat when it got really cold. Had the heater core replaced and the cost was as much as the policy. Then the truck had been abused and there many 1000$'s after that and not one problem getting things fixed.

The adjuster is a local guy but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again and I am going to renew the policy when it's time. The company is Custom Edge Plus.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:52 PM

Thanks Oh Snap
I'll look into them.

Glad you are happy with the choice.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 06:58 PM

I’m a pretty good DIY guy these newer trucks took that away from me that’s why I like my older mini trucks those that I can do about anything with myself. Heres the options I consider if I can’t fix it myself.

New under warranty it’s covered and the loan is protected that way and so am I then I risk keeping it a few years past that then trade it in on another new one.

Buy an older truck or 2 or 3 and rebuild them into one total rebuilt truck invest a lot do the job right but with no payments, lower insurance then but less protection if lost or damaged. The initial cost is recouped quickly in no payments and insurance saving you will never recoup on buying a new one.

If you can’t do the repairs you’re stuck buying a new one or known good used vehicle from family or friends if they don’t screw you on the deal. LOL

There’s always the buy a new vehicle save it for out of town travel trips, then drive a daily driver local if the goes belly up you still have a way to get around until the other vehicle is repaired or replaced.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 07:09 PM

When I bought my 2914 Ram, I bought the lifetime warranty with it. As long as I owened the truck it was covered except for wear items. Tjis past summer with 218,000 miles on it. they put a new mopar hemi in it for 100 dollars. I drove it 5000 miles to break it in and took it back and got a new transmission for 100 dollars, not used ar jumkyard parts. They dont sell that warranty anymore. I now have a new truck running gear wise.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 07:14 PM

I never buy any warranty on anything it's a scam.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 07:23 PM

I bought a coffee grinder at Menards to grind silver vine chunks (rock hard Chinese catnip type attractor) the lady at the register asked if I wanted to buy a warranty for it?

Me being me I just laughed and said, “Lady I’m going to destroy this thing”! She must of thought that was crazy it still makes me chuckle to myself.
Posted By: David Morse

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 07:27 PM

total waste of money and always a scam. If you are nervous just set aside money for repairs when shes new. it will be there if needed.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dillrod
Thanks Oh Snap
I'll look into them.

Glad you are happy with the choice.

I was anti insurance when I was young and........! That was very long ago. Insurance is the best thing that I ever spent my money on being in business. Not only vehicle extended warranties but liability, workman comp, vehicle insurance. They have all paid for themselves over and over again.

I am glad I could stay on subject for Dillrod and hope he finds it will work for him!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 09:51 PM

If you buy new not really any need for an extended warranty,If it is a lemon you will find out before the factory warranty expires.
New vehicles are pretty dependable and the only warranty work I have had done was when new vehicles had a defect from the factory and it showed up in the first couple years. It is a good idea to keep a slush fund for maintenance stuff as the vehicle gets older if you are keeping it long term and not trading it in or selling.Things wear out and need replaces like batterys,tires ball joints etd,that is basically mtc on older vehicles.
I would spend money on a good rustproofing than extended warranty where I am.

if you buy a vehicle from a used car dealership an extended warranty is a good idea.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 10:33 PM

If it has electronics like all the other newer models then if something goes wrong with any of the electronics it will be very costly to fix and only dealers will have the parts.
Warranty work gets parts first so you may be waiting for a while to get running again.

Just bought a 2020 truck with 1 yr comprehensive left on it and will probably buy some kind of extended from the dealer to cover electronics for a while. Not going the long term route though.
Not all are scams but look closely at the verbiage.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/18/24 10:48 PM

I have an extended warranty and it is great. But first lets talk about my brothers warranty on his Toyota Tacoma. He is the guy that pays cash ( but he drives it until it is shot also). The truck is a 2018 or so. It has a life time power train or something warranty. witch I thought was good. Except that he has to get all the service work done at the dealership. He says that he cannot go over a 5000 mile oil change or X many mile transmission service.... or the warranty is void. Also he mentions that every time it is in for service they find something that is not covered and it costs him $200 to $600 extra. One more thing they get him on is that it usually takes 2 weeks to get in for a service. so he has to plan how much he is going to drive.

Now for my extended 3rd party warranty . 2 years ago I bought a 2014 GMC Yukon XL. At the time of purchase I had some extra money so I bought a 3rd party insurance policy for $1200 more (first time ever). The policy states that there is $100 deductible for each repair and that they will only pay up to $70 per hr. labor. The dealer said that if I bring it to them to get fixed that they will do the work for the $70 per hr and the $100 deductible. A few weeks after purchasing the Yukon the air system for air ride shocks goes out. A year later the transfer case and front drive axles were replaced, the filter system on the fuel tank was replaced. Plus other miner repairs, until last week when the transmission went out. I get a call yesterday from the dealer. He tells me that the insurance co. will not cover a new transmission but will pay up to $3500 for a rebuilt one and that the total bill will cost me $600 and change. All being said the insurance policy has way more than paid for itself. I will definitely purchase from this dealer again and make sure I buy a policy.
The only caveat is that I have not found another repair shop that will do work on my vehicle and work with the insurance co. for the payment of repairs. I'm fine with it as long as I can still work with the dealership.
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by midlander
If youre that worried, just take the extra amount youd be paying for the scam warranty and set it aside into an emergency fund each month. If something happens a couple years down the road youll have the funds. If nothing ever happens, youll be money ahead. The dealerships and third parties push those warranty products hard because its a huge money maker for them...the actuarial numbers are never in your favor.

This.
Posted By: 2bit

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 05:40 AM

I bought a truck years ago, no warranty. Truck was a pile of garbage that was a 10k mistake. Years later I did the same. Another 10k mistake. Now I have another truck that I did buy the warranty and the truck has never given me an ounce of grief. A warranty through a reputable dealership is different than a used car dealership. As are the vehicles for sale
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 05:53 AM

Number one its a toyota!
I bought a used Altima from the local toyota dealer used lot. This lot gives you a lifetime powertrain for a used car with under 84K miles. I had to have a valve body put on the transmission. Was going to be over $1300 but cost me $135. If you but a used car with under 64K its bumper to bumper. It is through a 3rd party. I ont have to have it serviced there or oil changed there. But they did say it would be a good idea to keep track of where?when you get the oil changed. I paid $2500 for lifetime bump to bump on my 2019 tacoma??? I don't know if its worth it. Besides its a toyota. But I'll drive one until the wheels fall off.
Posted By: James

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 09:42 AM

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports recommends against buying such warranties.

Jim
Posted By: super cub

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 01:10 PM

Several years ago my son bought a dodge diesel pickup, it had 70k miles on it. He bought the extended warranty for it. Shortly after the transmission went out. He took it to the dealer and they wouldn't work on it because the warranty said they had to tear the transmission apart and just replace what was wrong inside. He took it to a different dealership and they fixed it ( warranty required it had to be a dealership)
Next the turbo went out. The warranty said they had to put in a used one. The first used one failed. Put in a second used one. It was in the shop for a month
So he'd he traded it off
I think those extended warranty are a scam, I would never buy one
Posted By: Mando

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by James
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports recommends against buying such warranties.

Jim

Every financial person I've listened to says not to buy them.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by super cub
Several years ago my son bought a dodge diesel pickup, it had 70k miles on it. He bought the extended warranty for it. Shortly after the transmission went out. He took it to the dealer and they wouldn't work on it because the warranty said they had to tear the transmission apart and just replace what was wrong inside. He took it to a different dealership and they fixed it ( warranty required it had to be a dealership)
Next the turbo went out. The warranty said they had to put in a used one. The first used one failed. Put in a second used one. It was in the shop for a month
So he'd he traded it off
I think those extended warranty are a scam, I would never buy one

Dodge pickups are a scam. Any warranty company would go broke paying for repairs on them. It was so bad that they had to rebrand and start over as RAM trucks. I don't know if they are much better or not.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 01:50 PM

If you purchase a well maintained Tacoma, with very little frame rust you should not have to worry about a 3rd party extended warranty.

Routine standard maintenance is the key.

Especially no more than 5000 miles between oil and filter changes. If you drive mostly shorter distances change more frequently.

Here's a link to an independent Toyota certified master technician that has a lot of videos on his You tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCarCareNut

There is even a video in the bunch where he discusses every used Toyota model and which ones to buy and what years,
Posted By: DWC

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 02:01 PM

The second I type this, someone will tell me how many miles are on their Toyota, as if Im lying. I bought a Tundra with 100k because according to the fanboys on the internet, thats just getting broke in. I did get the extended warranty. Electrically, this things been a nightmare. I no longer have a back up camera among other things with radio, lights, speakers. Im glad I bought the warranty because a head gasket went at 110k and the repair was 5500 or so. It didnt cover the entire repair, but I came out about 1500 or so ahead of the warranty company. They were horrible to deal with, took 2 days for them to return a call to the repair shop and when I called numerous times to dispute them not covering more of the bill, they wouldnt answer and never returned my call. The front desk dude at the repair shop said all of these extended warranty companies are crooked with terrible service and they rarely cover the entire bill on anything.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 02:53 PM

if you have to buy new buy the bare bones plain jane models.
The more electronic gadgets the more can go wrong.

New vehicles are not as good as they were just a couple of years ago. They are getting cheaper quality and build wise.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 03:28 PM

They push it because of a good deal for themselves not you , the law of averages of something catastrophic happening during the life of the vehicle is way in their favor. I never have purchased one but as I always say it’s your life and business and if it suits your needs then it’s worth it to you
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 03:42 PM

I have a 2021 GMC Sierra. Within a year, I get and still do, Extended warranty on my 2 year old truck.

GM gives you a 36/3 year on everything. 5 year 50,000 on drivetrain.

Its a scam and usually on older folks that don't know better.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
if you have to buy new buy the bare bones plain jane models.
The more electronic gadgets the more can go wrong.

New vehicles are not as good as they were just a couple of years ago. They are getting cheaper quality and build wise.

Problem is you can't find plain jane models of anything unless you want to order and wait forever.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 06:47 PM

I bought one warranty in my life. They lost big time and paid out WAY more than that warranty cost me. Glad I did it with that particular truck.

Now this last truck I also bought the warranty (The computer screens cost 5k now). Had it not been a write off, I probably would have taken my chances, but ball joints were covered in the warranty and I always go through a set of those before I trade it back in.

I would come out a few bucks ahead had I got the warranty on my last truck but I didn't have one. It's a gamble, like everything in life.
Posted By: charles

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 06:55 PM

Only bought it once. Bought a GM Diesel Olds in 1988. Glad I bought the warranty. Cracked both heads and had to replace a fuel pump. Kept it about three years. Big mistake.
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 07:01 PM

a friend of mine bought the ext. warranty on his chrysler van,well the oil cooler started leaking so he called the warranty dept.they said not covered,yep i looked through his warranty papers,on page 7 paragraph f line 10 or something like that said oil cooler not covered.these places dont make money helping you out.thats just one example.and if your the mechanic youll lose your butt cause they will only pay you what they say it takes to fix said problem.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Only bought it once. Bought a GM Diesel Olds in 1988. Glad I bought the warranty. Cracked both heads and had to replace a fuel pump. Kept it about three years. Big mistake.

Your regular warranty would have covered first 3 years back then...you wasted your money.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/19/24 09:52 PM

THIS x 2

Those extended warranties are all a scam for the average consumer, maybe a cost savings if you buy a lemon. Pisses the dealer off when you don't buy them as that is how they make a good portion of their income on new vehicle sales.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by NEYotetrapper

THIS x 2

Those extended warranties are all a scam for the average consumer, maybe a cost savings if you buy a lemon. Pisses the dealer off when you don't buy them as that is how they make a good portion of their income on new vehicle sales.

THIS x 3 , 4 & 5
FYI for all reading this . - . if you ever hear a salesman claim you will get better financing deal on buying the car with a service contract sold through the dealership , RUN!!

This is illegal for a dealership to claim this. Also banks do not give preferred rates to those with a service contract. It is a lie.
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 02:52 AM

Yep! they will ask you if you want an extended warranty while you are doing the paperwork. Say NO. They'll offer it again at a lower price VERY shortly. Thats what happened to me
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 03:44 AM

We always buy used vehicles and buy the warranty from the dealership. Has come in handy a few times over the years. Every one of them has at least paid for itself. The ones advertised on TV are a scam but we have had good luck with the warranty the dealerships offer. This has been the case for son and daughters families as well
Posted By: charles

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 03:49 AM

Last two Ford trucks were low miles pre-certified. I think they came with 75,000 mile warranty.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 04:12 AM

We bought a new Silverado and GMC Yukon in 2022. Purchased a 8 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extension on the factory warranty. 1400 bucks and it’s thru the dealer. Not Elise on the robo call. With all the electrical gizmos on a new vehicle it was a no brainer for us. That 14 In screen on the dash that controls everything electrical is 12,000 if it goes poof.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Extended warranty for vehicle ? - 01/20/24 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
We bought a new Silverado and GMC Yukon in 2022. Purchased a 8 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extension on the factory warranty. 1400 bucks and it’s thru the dealer. Not Elise on the robo call. With all the electrical gizmos on a new vehicle it was a no brainer for us. That 14 In screen on the dash that controls everything electrical is 12,000 if it goes poof.

Dealer one is legit I would say backed by GM am I right on this ?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums