Home

How much salt should put in urine?

Posted By: Pofarmer10

How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 02:35 AM

How much salt should put in urine? It keeps freezing and I usually bring it in every night but I wish I didn't have too. What amount should I put in?
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 02:50 AM

I add glycerin to mine. About 1- 1 1/4 oz per pint. Trapping supply stores have it or in a pinch I get the 95% pure stuff from the pharmacy. I don't add salt because of deer even though urine has some salt content on its own. If you use a trigger spray bottle the salt will rust the metal parts of the sprayer.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 03:04 AM

If one is using pure urine, preservative is not needed, neither is salt. Pure urine won’t freeze!
Posted By: corky

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 03:12 AM

Adding salt to urine will just create problems with more deer and rabbits.

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kelly
If one is using pure urine, preservative is not needed, neither is salt. Pure urine won’t freeze!

This is the urine I am using and it froze.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172564706972?var=471407378455
Posted By: Kelly

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 03:43 AM

The label says a preservative has been added so it’s not 100% pure.

Pure urine collective during winter from red meat fed animals doesn’t need a preservative nor a d-icer. It won’t spoil nor freeze. That said any urine collected at any other time of the year is garbage, imho!
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 03:53 AM

All 3 of these froze solid this week. I consider a couple of the pretty good stuff. Maybe I’m missing out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 04:26 AM

I collect my own coyote urine during winter from meat fed coyotes and it positively will turn into an icy slush. My estimate is about 65% ice 35% liquid. When I've added salt to urine I add salt until the urine wont dissolve any more salt. So in other words I add salt until there's a small amount of salt un-dissolved in bottom of container. I haven't found a good coyote lure or bait that doesn't get every deer that smells it to come jump all over a set so a little extra salt in my urine doesn't concern me. Nowadays I just let my urine freeze and pour off the unfrozen liquid for my use as I have plenty of urine. The unfrozen urine has a much stronger odor. A good test to see how pure your urine is, is to see what happens when it freezes. But that alone isn't proof if you got the good stuff or not but it's a good starting point. I've seen store bought urine freeze solid and I've seen ones the weren't suppose to have anything added to them not freeze at all.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by coyote 1
I add glycerin to mine. About 1- 1 1/4 oz per pint. Trapping supply stores have it or in a pinch I get the 95% pure stuff from the pharmacy. I don't add salt because of deer even though urine has some salt content on its own. If you use a trigger spray bottle the salt will rust the metal parts of the sprayer.

Coyote 1 nailed it; no salt, just a bit of glycerin.

This is incorrect. I use pure urine collected from the bladders of fox I catch. It will definitely freeze. Temps in the teens it will get slushy, temps in the single digits or lower it will freeze solid.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 11:59 AM

Yes pure urine will freeze. Not at the same temperature as water, but it will freeze. Maybe where you trap it doesn't usually get cold enough but around here every urine I've tried (admittedly not a lot of different brands) will freeze when it gets cold, and the urine out of the animals will freeze where they pee. Take the bladders out of your caught critters and put them in the freezer (I do when I collect glands) check them the next day. The urine in them will be frozen. Can't get much more pure than that.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 12:07 PM

Glycerin. Urine already has salt in it. Below 10 degrees it's going to freeze. Even magnum pee.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 12:16 PM

let my urine freeze and pour off the unfrozen liquid

Yes Sir, good advice again.

P.S. A LOT (most) of commercially available urine is junk.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 12:21 PM

None here, unless you don’t mind deer and rabbit visits at the sets.
Jim

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by coyote 1

Fluid oz? What is that in tsp and tbsp? 1 fluid oz is 6 tsp.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: How much salt should put in urine? - 01/18/24 02:21 PM

None
© 2024 Trapperman Forums