Home

NTA Bylaw change

Posted By: Jim Curran

NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:34 AM

According to the Director's report that just came out, the Bylaw change was defeated
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:36 AM

There is some good news
Posted By: Drifter

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 02:18 AM

Great news. Hope this discourages them from trying again.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 02:21 AM

The vote totals weren't mentioned in the President's report, but word on the street is that it was defeated 235-39.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 02:29 AM

Who's idea was this?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 03:23 AM

Thanks Jim.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 03:33 AM

Wow 8- 10,000 members and struggle to get 275 votes. That is some real apathy for sure. A 3% voter turnout is not good. The antis learn more about our united strength looking at vote totals then they do reading our articles. Also if you are a politician working to promote our ideas and principles knowing that most members are not really commited does not help us at all.

Bryce
Posted By: Maddog47

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 04:16 AM

Only 275 votes? That is a shame. Thank God there was enough folks to lobby to defeat it. Lesson learned I hope.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 09:06 AM

I would have figured more members from here were NTA members and would have voted than 275.
I'm glad it was defeated
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 10:06 AM

yes, terrible turn out, just like always, look at the last president election, only about a third voted, the guy who brought this up in Escanaba is running for office. He is the director from Indiana, a new guy, so do you think he thought of this on his own,
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
yes, terrible turn out, just like always, look at the last president election, only about a third voted, the guy who brought this up in Escanaba is running for office. He is the director from Indiana, a new guy, so do you think he thought of this on his own,

Running for office as what?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:29 PM

Careful Roy, you'll be getting another letter! As a director for ALOT of years it finally dawned on me the membership could care less what's going on. Can rant and rave all you want and a bunch will make some noise about something they don't like but when it comes time for them to do the bare minimum they're no where to be found. The Executive Council basically came to be for that reason, director's show up once a year hob nob around and go home never thinking of the NTA again or care what's going on, they don't view it as their job, the smart people at the front of the room can run things.

Whether this got defeated or not your still going to pretty much only have current officer's running for office. Most years those already in office run unopposed! For whatever reason this bylaw change was brought out because Roy was running, he wasn't wanted on the EC for whatever reason! Message was sent and I doubt anyone is crazy enough to attempt to run for President again after they watched what happened to him last go around.

Now you can all go back to sleep till the next flare up.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:34 PM

Do they not have the members email address? A simple email to vote, click here to vote, or to choose the mail in ballot, click here. I don’t get any of their emails because I think it costs too much to send across the boarder.
Posted By: Seek

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:48 PM

I am a Lifetime member of the NTA and received nothing about a vote on anything. No clue what this is about.

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Seek
I am a Lifetime member of the NTA and received nothing about a vote on anything. No clue what this is about.

It was in the magazine. I believe if you didn't opt for the magazine you should have been informed by mail, but not positive

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 02:39 PM

With all the ruckus that went on here I don't see how it could of been missed.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 03:40 PM

I voted against it.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter

With all the ruckus that went on here I don't see how it could of been missed.

i didn't see anywhere where it was actually explained what was going on.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 05:50 PM

People can't be forced to do what they don't choose to do. The same apathy that exists in the NTA is the same that exists all around us.

8,137 magazines were mailed from the company that prints the magazines.

65 magazines were mailed from the NTA office. (Mainly foreign memberships)

249 ballots were mailed from the NTA office. (These were members who do not receive the magazine, like family members) if you didn't get a ballot, check with the NTA office to make sure your address matches with what they have on record.

Total possible ballots 8,451

274 ballots were mailed back in. 39 yes, 235 no. So...even though some of us have differing views and opinions of the NTA, in this case the majority ruled.

I voted against the measure too.

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 05:52 PM

There was a thread going on and on about it for a long time. Maybe someone can post a link for you

There was also a an explanation of the wanted change and a ballot in their magazine
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 06:13 PM

Here's the post Chris McAllister wrote on the proposed bylaw change.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7986833/attention-nta-member#Post7986833
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Here's the post Chris McAllister wrote on the proposed bylaw change.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7986833/attention-nta-member#Post7986833

Thank you Paul. That helps a lot. Still don't know who Roy is though! LOL

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 10:50 PM

Roy was John's opposition.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/17/24 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
I would have figured more members from here were NTA members and would have voted than 275.
I'm glad it was defeated

Even more telling is allegedly only 8 to 10,000 NTA members
nationwide out of all the trappers in our country.

Must be a lot more trappers who are FTA members, instead.

w
Posted By: bblwi

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/18/24 02:34 AM

FTA membership ( I am one) is considerably fewer than the NTA currently. I am a life member of neither of the two nationals but a life member of th WTA.

Bryce
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: NTA Bylaw change - 01/18/24 11:26 AM

conservation director, I believe
© 2024 Trapperman Forums