Home

Fully retired now.

Posted By: Law Dog

Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 05:53 PM

Turned my stuff in today after being on call for 35 years I can’t be trapping all day and be called in at anytime they need me just it’s time. Don’t want to give up my certification but I can’t expect to keep it and not be willing to work. The certification was nice when traveling through other states for carrying my firearms.

One less thing to worry about now I should be able to sleep a little better maybe not will see. LOL
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 05:59 PM

Congratulations, now start enjoying.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:03 PM

Congratulations! I bet you will never regret your decision.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:04 PM

Congrats LD!

I let my cert expire too. When I'm done with something...I'm done. No regrets.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:09 PM

It takes a brave man to retire in the current condition of our once Great Nation!
Posted By: corky

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:13 PM

Congrats and enjoy

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
It takes a brave man to retire in the current condition of our once Great Nation!

I said retired not neutered. LOL
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:21 PM

Congratulations Jerry. You've put in your time and now it's time for you to relax and let someone else deal with it. You'll soon wonder how you ever found time to get anything done at home when you had a job!
Posted By: Mac

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:22 PM

Congratulations.

Mac
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Turned my stuff in today after being on call for 35 years I can’t be trapping all day and be called in at anytime they need me just it’s time. Don’t want to give up my certification but I can’t expect to keep it and not be willing to work. The certification was nice when traveling through other states for carrying my firearms.

One less thing to worry about now I should be able to sleep a little better maybe not will see. LOL

not sure how SD is , in WI you can still carry on your Department ID if they certify you each year.
you have to have a department photo id and pass your annual firearms test.
of course you don't need to the state CCL requires no additions to carry in state

just when you get out of state and you hand them your department ID rather than an available to everyone CCL they may look at it different.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:04 PM

Congrats Jerry.
Trap On.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:06 PM

Congratulations been retired since 11/30/23 highly recommended lol it’s great
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:19 PM

You can still carry. HR218 for you. I assume you're agency will file the paperwork for you yearly? Mine does. Toss everything that reminds you of that job out is my recommendation. Too many guys stuck in the past. You can't move foreward if you've got even one toe stuck in the past.

The biggest help that aided me in moving forward is a daily devotional or bible reading and heading off to church come Sunday. You're retired now, you have no excuse not to. Well that was my moto anyhow. Good luck.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:38 PM

Congratulations ..Happy for You!
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:43 PM

. The certification was nice when traveling through other states for carrying my firearms.

LEOSA doesn't apply?

And CONGRATS!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:48 PM

Congrats Jerry, I hope you transition quickly. Routine change can be a bit of a challenge physically and mentally for everyone. I bet you can roll right into something productive to do every day.

The best to you. Bob J.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 07:59 PM

I’ve been reserve for several years now I was just on call 24/7 during that time. Some weeks I worked several days sometimes no calls for weeks. Court duty or hospital duty sitting with high risk inmates not as bad as it sounds thanks to modern medicine. The short trips were not worth what they paid for taking up half a day.

Technically I’m certified for the next 2 years before it runs out if I don’t work in that period so it’s not any instant loss of certification.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 08:00 PM

LEOSA should apply and must be renewed each year upon application via your dept. :-)
Posted By: Guss

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 09:04 PM

I have about 11 months or so.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 09:31 PM

Well, first thank you for your service in law. Secondly, retirement isn't the end but just the start to a new life, challenges, ventures and journeys. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do but was one of the best things I could have done for me. So, many benefits to be free and just live life.

I wish you the best in your new journey.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 10:30 PM

well enjoy, now you can come to the family reunion,

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 10:43 PM

I’d be surprised if anything is done about a retirement ID from the county it’s a pretty much a “what can you do for them” mentality. Workers are expendable drones pretty much part time has not got a pay increase in the last 10 years certified or not.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 10:48 PM

Did you have a federal firearms license so you could carry concealed in other states.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

Did you have a federal firearms license so you could carry concealed in other states.

An FFL is not an automatic permit to carry concealed.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:15 PM

Congratulations Jerry.

I used to have a lot of police officers, who worked as guards for me, who would take a police shift in a small town, at little to no pay, just to keep their certification going. It may be a possibility for you to do some very limited, part time work on a small department, to keep your certification.

Keith
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:15 PM

Congrats on the retirement and a profound THANK YOU for the years of service.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:18 PM

Congrats, pulled the trigger back in Nov. 21, and it's a blast so far.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:22 PM

If an LEO has been vested at least 10 or more years, and retired in "good standing", there is no longer a need to do any further LE work other than qualify on a yearly basis by an approved LEOSA firearms dept. :-)
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:29 PM

I agree with snowy, Thank You for your time spent serving! Enjoy each day forward. You more then earned it.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by SJA
If an LEO has been vested at least 10 or more years, and retired in "good standing", there is no longer a need to do any further LE work other than qualify on a yearly basis by an approved LEOSA firearms dept. :-)

I know that.
And you know that.
But nobody else is paying attention!

LEOSA!
Do I need to spell it out?
Oh, wait...
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:31 PM

Congrats my friend.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:34 PM

You would be surprised at how many LEOs didn't know about it :-)

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:44 PM

I think everyone in LE knows about the National carry rule it’s taught at the academy even. I put in a request with the boss I’ll see if I get a response I have a retired HP buddy I have a call into him. I qualify every year just did that last month.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/11/24 11:53 PM

Congratulations. Now you have more time for trapping.
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 12:28 AM

Congratulations Jerry!
Posted By: hipp2412

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 12:59 AM

I retired 4 years ago with 28 years of service. The transition to civilian life can be a little difficult at first but it gets better over time. Good luck to you and congratulations.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by hipp2412
I retired 4 years ago with 28 years of service. The transition to civilian life can be a little difficult at first but it gets better over time. Good luck to you and congratulations.

Was the military or police? If military please disregard.

It drive me nuts when cops refer to people as civilians. Cops are civilians not military.

Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy it.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 02:51 AM

Good for you Jerry, now go and enjoy it. Only live once.

I can't wait, my motto will be
"Nothing to do and all day to do it" laugh

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 03:01 AM

HP buddy got back to me I have some options I can look into. I’ll give the Boss a few days to see if he comes up with anything.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 03:04 AM

Congratulations!! Have fun and enjoy yourself!
Posted By: micheal

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 12:46 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: flash

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 12:51 PM

smiling!!
Posted By: jk

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 01:25 PM

You earned it the hard way---enjoy it!! Don't look back......jk
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 01:28 PM

Congratulations Law Dog. Thank you for your service !
Posted By: swamp

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 02:24 PM

Congrats Law Dog !!

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 02:26 PM

Thanks guys I have some folks to connect with to get the ID card requirements from. I have a State ID that’s good until 3/2025 I’ll see if I need anything else.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 03:07 PM

Congrats on your retirement. I love being retired. More time to do the things I never had time for while I was working.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Congrats on your retirement. I love being retired. More time to do the things I never had time for while I was working.

I’ve been retired from full time for 11 years now I enjoy it but it’s like a workweek with no weekend but I like work so it’s no big deal there. This move just frees me up 100% from being on call.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 04:25 PM

Congrats...it beats retiring and then becoming certifiable!
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 07:40 PM

Congratulations, enjoy your retirement. Now you can stop and smell the roses.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/12/24 09:15 PM

I called the Law Enforcement Center in Pierre talked to a lady in certification and explained the situation and asked about the steps to do the retirement part to be legal. She asked if I qualified with my firearm, I said yes for the last 22 years every year. She asked for my address and said I’d receive a letter from the State but they don’t issue IDs for retirement.

The state does issue a certification ID card that looks like a drivers license mine expires in 2025 I’ll see about renewing that then. Easier to carry around a plastic card than a piece of paper everyday. LOL

I thought the County would be some part of the process but it looks like since the state handles the certification so they call the shots. So far only a yearly shooting qualification is required as the federal law states. Will see what comes with the letter.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 12:59 AM

I had my sit down meeting with Social Security last Wednesday. My first check is 3rd Wed of Feb and every month after. I turned 65 last September. My plan is to work till I make 22000.00 and pull the pin. I have 5 wks of vacation to burn up before I quit.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 01:43 AM

Someone else will have to be the indispensable man.
I know how that goes.
Shed the stress.
Someone else can do it.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 02:18 AM

Great, I'm finished on July 4 this year already counting down the days !! 45 years of steel detailing and welding is enough !!
Posted By: hipp2412

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 04:06 AM

Hey Pfarm, tell us how you really feel.. Police departments are quasi-military organizations. Thanks for your service Law dog
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 05:11 AM

Congrats Lawdog.
Posted By: James

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 12:39 PM

No more free donuts.

Jim
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by James
No more free donuts.

Jim

Why did you even post on LDs thread. That's a crappy comment ..even for a turd.

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
No more free donuts.

Jim

Can’t eat them anyway LOL

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
No more free donuts.

Jim

I thought it was funny.
Heck, a kid I know did a ride along when he was considering LE as a career.
Next time I saw him he said, " THE FREE COFFEE AND DONUTS THING IS REAL!!!"

He's a game warden now.

Congrats again OP!
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 01:04 PM

Atta boy! I’m happy for you!
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 04:22 PM

Congradulations!! Enjoy Retirement. Take your Pension and SSI and enjoy life.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 05:07 PM

Congratulations am looking forward to it myself, waiting for my call next month.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Fully retired now. - 01/13/24 10:19 PM

Congratulations! I can only imagine the feeling of nothing to do and all day to do it!! I’ve always said a person should be retired for the first half of their life and work the last half.

Life seems to have phases…as a kid, you have all the time in the world and no money and you’re busy wishing your life away to get grown up. Once you start working, you have money but no time to spend it…still wishing your life away wanting to old enough to retire. Hopefully retirement finds you able to retreat to your childhood with all the money you need to make your dreams happen!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums