Home

replacing springs?

Posted By: white marlin

replacing springs? - 01/07/24 09:17 PM

on Bridger # 2's (dog-on)...

instead of factory replacement # 2 springs, what's better?
Posted By: wheelers

Re: replacing springs? - 01/07/24 09:37 PM

#2 music wire
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: replacing springs? - 01/07/24 09:40 PM

×2
Posted By: Calvin

Re: replacing springs? - 01/07/24 11:58 PM

I "think" that trap is set up to 4 coil. The 4 coil springs aren't super strong and slide right on. Much easier and cheaper to just buy them. The result is nice and an equal force.

And all music wire springs aren't created equal. I've had some that were so strong they just twisted the levers. I've done it both ways and much prefer the 4 coil route.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: replacing springs? - 01/08/24 12:03 AM

Friend of mine keeps all of his old weakened used springs and like to four coil some his #3 Bridgers with 4 old weakened Victor #1 1/2 coils. He says they are pretty balanced and don't twist the levers.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: replacing springs? - 01/08/24 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
I "think" that trap is set up to 4 coil. The 4 coil springs aren't super strong and slide right on. Much easier and cheaper to just buy them. The result is nice and an equal force.

And all music wire springs aren't created equal. I've had some that were so strong they just twisted the levers. I've done it both ways and much prefer the 4 coil route.

This^^^^
Posted By: white marlin

Re: replacing springs? - 01/08/24 12:06 AM

appreciate the replies. I should have added that these are not laminated jaws. they are offset, but not laminated. I did have someone baseplate and center swivel them.
Posted By: trappinia

Re: replacing springs? - 01/08/24 02:46 AM

What Calvin said.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: replacing springs? - 01/08/24 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Friend of mine keeps all of his old weakened used springs and like to four coil some his #3 Bridgers with 4 old weakened Victor #1 1/2 coils. He says they are pretty balanced and don't twist the levers.

This
Posted By: Oakey

Re: replacing springs? - 04/08/24 07:49 PM

Music wire hands down just replaced springs on 4 dozen #2 Montgomery doggless and 2 dozen #3 of same. The number 3 music wire were so strong I’m not putting the Tahos lightning springs on them I just bought
Posted By: canebrake

Re: replacing springs? - 04/08/24 09:11 PM

On the last bunch of Bridgers I bought, the factory springs were stronger than music wire I had on other traps. Borderline too strong. Bridger used to have a reputation for soft springs but not anymore.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: replacing springs? - 04/09/24 08:20 PM

Music wire is just a catchy name for one grade of spring steel.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums