Home

weasel box trick

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

weasel box trick - 01/03/24 11:10 PM

thought I what pass this on to you guys, for anyone who uses rat traps in weasel boxes, a old guy showed us this and it real helps putting the trap down inside the box, maybe some of you [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
guy already new this hope it can help
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: weasel box trick - 01/03/24 11:24 PM

Good Tip

Re: weasel box trick - 01/03/24 11:27 PM

saves the fingers.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: weasel box trick - 01/03/24 11:59 PM

That would work!

Chris
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 12:07 AM

Smart! Your bait looks like what I use to double my weasel boxes for ground squirrels.

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 12:10 AM

red squirrels, right now.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 01:45 AM

No floor in that box ....just a top lid ...?

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 10:58 AM

yes, there's a floor, there's was a mouse nest in it, just dirty
Posted By: Mac

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 11:51 AM

Thank you for sharing. Great tip.

Mac
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:15 PM

I have used rat traps inside boxes for red squirrels with some success but only about a 50 PERCENT catch rate without sprung traps-but could be mice setting them off as well-kinda hard to adjust the pan tension on rat traps LOL
Posted By: micheal

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:25 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:28 PM

Great idea. Weasel trapping has been difficult here with no snow yet. I've caught 15 ermine and easily over 100 mice. I set in what should be a good location but with all the mice it's difficult to keep traps open. When you set the trap, which side do you set the dog for the most tension? One side of the pan says F and the other S. Not sure which gives you the most resistance.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:29 PM

Do you have good luck with those Jaws traps? I tried them last year and they are junk. They springs kept popping off the kill bar.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:46 PM

I put some electrical tape on the springs to hold them in place. I also tape the kill area to keep the ermine clean.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 03:56 PM

Yeah I made them work but ended up buying victors from MTP as you cant hardly find the big pan victors in stores anymore.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Do you have good luck with those Jaws traps? I tried them last year and they are junk. They springs kept popping off the kill bar.

I had a problem with the staples that hold the kill onto the trap coming off. Victor is a better trap, although the plastic pan pops off sometimes. I don't know where you can get a replacement.
Posted By: BeLiSlE330

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
thought I what pass this on to you guys, for anyone who uses rat traps in weasel boxes, a old guy showed us this and it real helps putting the trap down inside the box, maybe some of you [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
guy already new this hope it can help

Wow! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: weasel box trick - 01/04/24 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

I always add another staple to the center of the springs. Even the new Victors come apart on occasion.
Another trick is to put a stick under the back side of the box to make it easier to break the box loose after a thaw-freeze cycle.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: weasel box trick - 01/06/24 12:51 PM

Buddy has about a .1% catch rate for a season and a half. That’s one weasel…..lol. Always snapped off. Then there’s Boco who’s crushing them in his waxed 120 marten sets..hahaha
I bought him a weasel trapping vid for Christmas, we’ll see if it pays off later this morning.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums