Home

Mole/Vole Traps what is the best

Posted By: snowy

Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 07:15 PM

Can someone give me a name or picture of the best mole trap to buy.

Thanks
Posted By: warrior

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 07:18 PM

Trapline Mole trap for firm soils.
Old style victor OSS for loose sandy soils.

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 08:27 PM

Will these traps work for moles/voles. I live in a very small rural town I can get these.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 08:44 PM

mole and vole 2 different critters.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 08:50 PM

The trapline is functionally the same concept but gophers being larger than moles a gopher trap won't fit a typical mole tunnel.

That style of mole trap goes into the tunnel and needs to fit smoothly as a mole will refuse or dig around any unnatural blockage.

The ADC archives has plenty of threads on mole trapping and trap usage.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 09:27 PM

Try this

Attached picture 10293~2.jpeg
Attached picture 8490-1~2.jpeg
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 09:39 PM

Step on mole traps are the best. Use your heal and push down the mole tunnel where the trap plunger will go first. Push the points of the trap into the tunnel on each side of the spot you just compressed. Step on the trap to expand the trap and make sure the plunger goes straight down and contacts the ground. Continue to press down on the trap until it locks in place. If the ground is dry, wet it first. Voles can be killed with a solid bait used to kill mice.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 09:45 PM

A lot of it depends on your soil/terrain. Some traps work better in different environments.

Next thing is what you are comfortable with , can make a good set. Some traps are better for different people.

I use No-Mols. Some people have a difficult time setting them , I don't. Works good in soil conditions in my area. Plus they are much lighter than Victor Out-Of-Sights.

You may have to 'Try before you buy' before figuring out what works the best for you.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 10:08 PM

My mole trapping rig -
[Linked Image]

25-30? No-Mol's , sharpened wood dowels for staking , orange locator flags , probing tool and gloves. The supermarket basket is much better than a 5gal bucket. Buckets like to tip over , baskets don't. Plus with the mesh sides and bottom it's sorta self cleaning compared to a bucket.
Not pictured - small trapper's trowel.

Enough to service 2-3 customers. Weight - 5 pounds.

I have an additional supply for more work , but this my standard go-to.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 10:47 PM

I caught 162 voles in the Victor mice traps during one summer. Baited with peanut butter and placed in their runways and/or holes in small section of my yard. I am not even sure they need baited but I still did it.

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/28/23 11:01 PM

Some great advice. I just order two plunger spike mole traps. I have a small alfalfa field at the main place at the ranch and I need to get their attention soon.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/29/23 03:38 AM

Victoria oss
Posted By: Marty

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/29/23 05:08 AM

My terrier
Posted By: swamp

Re: Mole/Vole Traps what is the best - 12/29/23 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
Step on mole traps are the best. Use your heal and push down the mole tunnel where the trap plunger will go first. Push the points of the trap into the tunnel on each side of the spot you just compressed. Step on the trap to expand the trap and make sure the plunger goes straight down and contacts the ground. Continue to press down on the trap until it locks in place. If the ground is dry, wet it first. Voles can be killed with a solid bait used to kill mice.
This ^^^ Mole eliminator trap made in Indiana.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums