Home

Weird addiction

Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Weird addiction - 12/21/23 06:39 AM

Does anyone else have a weird addiction? Mine is picking up buckets off the side of the road or in the ditch. Matter of fact, I just picked up 2 very nice 5 gallon buckets off the side of the road today. What's your weird addiction?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 06:44 AM

That's harmless as long as you don't impede traffic. I grabbed a bucket earlier this year.

I collect axes, hatchets and cleavers.

Keith
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 06:45 AM

My brother in Christ gave you not seen my gun or trap mod posts ? Must you even ask ? laugh
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 10:02 AM

I went to a guys house to look at an old Johnson outboard motor he had advertised. Instead, it was my family sitting in a circle when I walked in, “Shawn, we love you but you have a problem “. I’m like “hey, what is this, where’s the motor guy!” Lmao
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 10:09 AM

my addiction, is trying do safe trapping for my grandkids,
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset
I went to a guys house to look at an old Johnson outboard motor he had advertised. Instead, it was my family sitting in a circle when I walked in, “Shawn, we love you but you have a problem “. I’m like “hey, what is this, where’s the motor guy!” Lmao

That is funny stuff right there.

That was a joke….right
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheYouthTrapper
Does anyone else have a weird addiction? Mine is picking up buckets off the side of the road or in the ditch. Matter of fact, I just picked up 2 very nice 5 gallon buckets off the side of the road today. What's your weird addiction?

I stop and pick up gas cans on the side of the road. The holy grail is one without the new spout.

I also keep an eye out for chains.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 11:38 AM

The unfortunate part of today's world is you don't know what the buckets were used for previously- just be cautious.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 11:44 AM

Just don't pick up the buckets out back of construction sites. grin
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 11:44 AM

It’s not an addiction but probably a compulsive issue. I can’t drive by a pivot without counting towers and I can’t look at deer or elk real or pictures and not count points. I’m not a hard core big game hunter so I’m not sure where it comes from.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 11:48 AM

Buckets and tarp straps, l will turn around for a two hooker!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 12:32 PM

Anything along a town ship road that looks interesting. Best find was a full gallon of Warrior Insecticide that fell off a spray truck worth 400 at the time .
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 12:38 PM

Buckets, tarps that have blown off of pickups, lick tubs, coolers.

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crappiekiller
Originally Posted by Trapset

That is funny stuff right there.

That was a joke….right

Might just be my first step to recovery, admitting I have a problem. grin
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 01:24 PM

I’ll stop for anything interesting or that I can use. Lots of buckets, bungees, ratchet straps, tools, even a nice come a long once. Lost week I was going done Hwy 34 and a big shiny piece of brass lying on the shoulder caught my eye, turned around and picked up 338 Lapua mag empty.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 01:27 PM

Most days over lunch I go for a walk on the gravel road heading west out of town. I started a few years ago picking up all the beer and soda cans and other trash. Now I can't stand to walk by one without picking it up - especially those by the cemetery - just to carry home and throw in the trash bin. Getting compulsive.
I always think it interesting the Michelob Ultra drinkers who are presumably trying to "drink healthy", but are too lazy to put their empties in the trash.

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 01:35 PM

I stopped for a gun case in the ditch one morning . It had a OU Benelli inside. Alcohol was involved. It got back to the owner...a firefighter from Aurora CO.

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I stopped for a gun case in the ditch one morning . It had a OU Benelli inside. Alcohol was involved. It got back to the owner...a firefighter from Aurora CO.

HA!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:32 PM

It isn't an addiction if you can drive past one and leave it , because the weather is bad ,no good place to pull over , ect..

if you have to pull over even in fog or bad conditions then you have a problem.

I pulled over just after an intersection of two county highways last Sunday it sort of looked like a tool in the intersection
I have picked up lots of tools over the years from the road.
it wasn't it was a piece of scrap steel
I picked it up anyway and brought it back to the truck.

I was asked why didn't I leave it

well if I left it it was likely to be a tire puncture for someone , and if I tossed it in the ditch when they mow the ditch it is going to make a mess of the mower blade , it only takes a minute to toss it in the recycle bin at home.

I know I don't pick up every shotgun hull I ever shot you look down and don't see it or you have to chase after a runner , but I always seem to come home with more empties from hunting than I fired , see it , pick it up.
Posted By: Philip Stancel

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:33 PM

Wool. I'm a thrift store junkie. If I find nice wool clothing, even if it's not my size, and don't buy it, it causes physical pain. I'm about to head out today to my usual route.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye

The unfortunate part of today's world is you don't know what the buckets were used for previously- just be cautious.

you are very correct , we have had a few "one-pots" found in the area this is a single container methamphetamine production

they typically look like an over pressurized bottle , don't touch them.

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:40 PM

I see a use for about everything of quality material but when I use that stuff on a project then the sky opens up and the angles start to sing loudly. LOL Nothing I can’t fix or build if needed it’s a gift and a curse at the same time but my brain never shuts off if I work things out in my head long enough I’ll find a way to get the job done.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:41 PM

Garage Sales
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 02:47 PM

I stopped for a gun case in the ditch one morning . It had a OU Benelli inside. Alcohol was involved.

Im gonna start drinking more. smile
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Weird addiction - 12/21/23 11:50 PM

I'm a pathological re-cycler. If it has a number on it, I will try to recycle it. Also, whenever I go hunting or fishing or anything doing with the outdoors, I will leave the place cleaner than I found it, and of course recycle what I can!
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:00 AM

Google maps
Posted By: run

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:21 AM

Picking up aluminum cans and hand tools on the side of the road.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:33 AM

Is this the Hoarding Thread ?
Posted By: Cheever

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:34 AM

A few years ago, ago a 18 wheeler pointed down at a stop sign at 63 and 64 to a 5 pound hamer and i picked it up.Still in use.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 02:18 AM

My uncle had hundreds of tarp straps in his barn. He lived close to I80 and travelled it a lot. He’d see one, remember the mile maker ( they have mile and 2/10 of miles ) and pick it up on his next trip. They eventually dry rotted hanging there.
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 02:47 AM

I spend WAY too much $$$ on knives that I dont use. Same with trapping supplies.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 02:59 AM

Lumber, I am a lumber hoarder.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 03:19 AM

Keeping track of certain critters from trail cameras. I don’t care if it’s deer, turkeys, or predators. I save pics and try and pick out features to ID them and keep up with them throughout the years if I don’t kill them.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Lumber, I am a lumber hoarder.

Same here , just can't stand to see a usable board in the scrape pile
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
My brother in Christ gave you not seen my gun or trap mod posts ? Must you even ask ? laugh

I match your statement and add collecting pocketknives and many many other types of knives M77 TANG SAFETY rifles have a way of removing my wallet from my pocket and causing pictures of dead presidents to freely find a new place to resideThis addiction is not limited to just the M77 models Rugers I have had similar issues with other models that have the Ruger name on them For example the Ruger number #1in assorted caliber ave uttered my name from time to time I enjoy finding old bottles So that means I take a few small tools out in to woods find some ones trash heap from 1 00 years ago Then I root through it trying not to cut myself with a rusty piece of metal Some times I find an old medicine bottle or beer bottle I am so pleased with my new found junk that I take it home and add it to y own personal trash pile .I do not know if my strain of this illness has a name but it sure has a lot f control over me .And I hope they don't find a cure for it in my lifetime

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I stopped for a gun case in the ditch one morning . It had a OU Benelli inside. Alcohol was involved.

Im gonna start drinking more. smile

I wasn't drinking...the guys that lost it were..they lost 2 guns and apparently one landed on the road and someone else got it.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 04:00 PM

Not sure it's an addiction, but I seldom walk out of a Walmart without at least a few boxes of .22 shells.
Posted By: Starbits

Re: Weird addiction - 12/22/23 07:06 PM

Tin, mostly in the form of pewter. It started because adding a bit of tin to lead will improve the quality of the casting. Now I have hundreds of pounds of pewter, more than I could ever use. Some pipe organs have pipes made of 100% tin and I picked up 200lbs of pipes from an old calliope once for $45. I certainly don't need any more, but if I see a piece of pewter for less than $5/lb it is going home with me.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Weird addiction - 12/23/23 02:10 PM

My shop is crowed with stuff that I might heed or use some day. and the time I want I can't find it. Last night I wanted a
10" C clamp used a hammer in stead LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums