Home

Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!!

Posted By: jk

Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/17/23 10:47 PM

First check day for me today, one Possum and a pickerel!!!! Oh well, my buddy has about 6 set locations and I have about a dozen and a half. We are in good location for both. Lets hear how the rest of Pa is doing.......jk
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/17/23 10:51 PM

I wanna try for fisher but I’m ashamed to say I honestly haven’t scouted!!! I hope we get a little snow!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/17/23 11:38 PM

How do you catch a Pickerel in a fisher/cat set? Pickerel AKA Northern Pike AKA Snot Rocket?
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/17/23 11:44 PM

I was wondering the same thing,good luck PA trappers.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
How do you catch a Pickerel in a fisher/cat set? Pickerel AKA Northern Pike AKA Snot Rocket?

I think he probably means a chain pickerel. Beaver trapping also opened yesterday in PA, I’m guessing that’s how he caught the pickerel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:29 AM

Got 26 sets working tonight. I've caught 12 or 15 fishers over the years but I'm still looking for my first cat. Had one pull out on the last day I could trap last year. Mb 550 and it was raining. Must not have hooked up good. Good fortune to everybody this year.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:31 AM

When I hear pickerel I think walleye. That's what my Canadian friends call them.
I've caught bass, steelhead and salmon in conibears trapping muskrats

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
When I hear pickerel I think walleye. That's what my Canadian friends call them.

You need to get a higher class of friends. smile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPDOC57
Got 26 sets working tonight. I've caught 12 or 15 fishers over the years but I'm still looking for my first cat. Had one pull out on the last day I could trap last year. Mb 550 and it was raining. Must not have hooked up good. Good fortune to everybody this year.

Good fortune to You also!!!

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:16 PM

I have some muskrats sets out as we still have three weeks to go rat trapping also. And 330 trapper we have more cats than fisher and without snow it is hard to pattern anything. I just set where I set last year for them. those sets are for both, I see no difference in set location so far here in Pa.......jk

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 12:38 PM

More cats than fisher

Sounds Awesome
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 01:23 PM

Nothing at yesterday's check, had high winds in the area. Hoping to connect with a fisher.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 02:21 PM

Got a half dozen sets out yesterday I had set out those big natural log cubbies early this year in some good locations an pre baited twice before I set traps yesterday 3 out of the 6 were cleaned out so I'm guessing I'll have a few possums today haha ...went back to a cat kill I found last week to set it up an the birds got to it pretty much nothing left so I abandoned that plan was a real far walk anyway good luck guys hope to see some pics here soon
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 03:21 PM

Can't set until Thursday. We're supposed to get some snow tonight but expect it to be melted off by the weekend.

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 10:41 PM

Well I officially joined the 330 club tonight right on the thumb oh yeah....an as predicted caught XXL possum today see what tmrw brings

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/18/23 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Keystonekiller
Well I officially joined the 330 club tonight right on the thumb

Did you learn any new 4 letter words when you did it?

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 02:45 PM

No ,,no new words I'm sure the beaver heard me from in there hut tho

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 08:24 PM

[Linked Image]
Well yesterday I did not put anything on here as I did not fall, but did a perfect PLF on a creek bank that was not there-washed out by the flood waters. Got a 23 pound Mrs B. Cat this morning. Almost let it go, but the bird in the hand thing said keep it. It is not as big as the big males but now I need my fisher, 10 days to go. Let's see your photos guys.....jk

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jk
[Linked Image]
Well yesterday I did not put anything on here as I did not fall, but did a perfect PLF on a creek bank that was not there-washed out by the flood waters. Got a 23 pound Mrs B. Cat this morning. Almost let it go, but the bird in the hand thing said keep it. It is not as big as the big males but now I need my fisher, 10 days to go. Let's see your photos guys.....jk

In the old "Head Board Set" I see. I am too lazy to lug those old steel bed frames around in the woods. Nice work!

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 09:47 PM

You notice that, good eye!!! They are to far gone to use as a drag. that is funny.......jk

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 10:26 PM

Congrats,what type of set,rub set,dirt hole,or a walk through?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 10:27 PM

I think I could have made those head rails work for a drag to prevent my set from being torn up too much. I have used lots of old furniture, box springs and an old toilet at times for a drag. In Kansas around those old homesteads there is usually plenty of scraped materials lying around or still in the house or cabin.

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 11:17 PM

Nice cat I wouldn't have let it go idk about you guys but with a limited window an one permit a cats a cat ....I came up empty on the fisher/cat line today did catch a kit beav 1st of the year for me ...have a good feeling they are gna move tonight havnt seen any tracks since I set so there do back around nice calm snowy night up early tmrw to get half the line checked before work
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/19/23 11:24 PM

Congrats, jk!

just a handful of nest-robbers for me, so far.

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/20/23 01:34 AM

Of course you mean the elusive silver fox I am sure. My set was muskrat in that old chimney you see lying there.....jk

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/20/23 02:11 PM

Got through half the Line before work an caught a porcupine just what I wanted to play with this morning

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/20/23 11:54 PM

We got 3 fishers in 3 checks. Had to release one this morning. We are tagged out on fisher. No action on bobcats.

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/20/23 11:58 PM

Bob J those head rails were so rusted that they were falling apart. today in the same trap another and much bigger one(of course, since I tagged the first one) and a 43 pound beaver [Linked Image]

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/21/23 01:33 AM

Wow that's awesome back to back Cats in the same set ...an 3 fishers in 3 checks thats really cool too what part of the state are you in?....came up empty on the back half of the line see what tmrw brings

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/21/23 01:41 AM

Nothing again here

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/21/23 03:15 PM

ttt

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/21/23 10:10 PM

Had a fisher all over one of my sets pretty disappointed the trap didn't fire wet packed down snow on it got it cleaned up so hope he comes back tonight he found the bait so fingers crossed..ima have to check it first thing before work bc judging by a set of tracks in the snow I got somebody else checking my sets
Posted By: Grinner

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/21/23 10:28 PM

had this one Tuesday then had another one from the same area this morning... the one this morning was very cooperative and was very easy to release.
[Linked Image]
this mornings release
[Linked Image]

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 12:49 AM

Released another fisher this evening. That's 4 in 5 checks and I had one steal the bait from a bobcat set. Trapping in Forest County.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 01:19 AM

Got one on the first check. 12.25 # male.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 01:40 AM

3 possum and a small red fox, and a setoff.. boy some sections of the state have a lot of fisher, not here we have cats. NIce photos, lets see more......jk

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 02:08 AM

Good Job Guys^^^
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 02:10 AM

I retired in 2013, started trapping again in 2014. I’ve caught 24 fisher in those 10 seasons. There’s a lot of them here, and they are no smarter than a possum. And with that big mitt for a foot, they don’t pull out easily. I’ve found Gusto lure to be indispensable when it comes to catching them.

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 10:28 PM

Filled my tag this afternoon had 6 sets out since Sunday all natural log cubbies.... little female

Attached picture croc_1703283945214.jpg

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/22/23 10:35 PM

Another cat and a big mink and a beaver set off 33 = maybe muskrat????

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/23/23 01:07 AM

Haven't seen the fisher on cam the last few days, hoping it's still around.....

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/25/23 11:28 PM

Had all my traps pulled for three days will reset tomorrow. NORE PHOTOS and info for us Fisher deprived folks.......jk
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Pa fisher/bobcat thread!!! - 12/25/23 11:45 PM

John I can get you a fisher. Take 3 days off work, we will get you one.:)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums