Home

this weather

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

this weather - 12/17/23 12:23 PM

SUCKS!!!, rain and 40 degrees, I hate rain in the wintertime, can't trap, can't get in the woods no frost. 30s-40s and wet, seem colder than 10 degrees and dry [jmo]
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:25 PM

I was just drafting a thread with the same theme- it's a sloppy mess. I'm sure the laws of average will kick our butt later on.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:45 PM

Sounds like normal weather in my neck of the woods. Been dry here so far but I figure it will start raining regular in about a week when I put out bobcat sets. Lol.

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:45 PM

we went almost 60 days with no rain this spring and now it seems like it's raining every other day,
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:47 PM

Yes very wet and sloppy here also no ice on lakes or ponds and nothing cold in two week forecast very unusual this time of year
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:52 PM

After last wInter I'm good with 36 to 40 And no snow
Posted By: corky

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 12:53 PM

Easy on the deer so far. If it was snow it would be up to their bellies. I don't miss shoveling.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 01:34 PM

Yes it has sure slowed things up for trapping. But saves on other things.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 04:11 PM

You're getting the sloppy leftovers from our "pineapple express". You're welcome! Kept me off the waterways for nearly 2 weeks...
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Exactly! Last winter was too long. This is making for a shorter winter, hopefully.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 04:53 PM

To warm to hunt for me, so it looks like I am not going to get venison in the freezer this year
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Same here. Although our winter wasn't too bad last year as far as now goes. We don't get hammered like we used to in the 60's ,70's or 80's.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 04:59 PM

This is why I LOVE trapping in West Texas !!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
SUCKS!!!, rain and 40 degrees, I hate rain in the wintertime, can't trap, can't get in the woods no frost. 30s-40s and wet, seem colder than 10 degrees and dry [jmo]

Yall getting a taste of what a deep South winter is like......^^^^^^

Same temps, same rainy mess.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 05:07 PM

No rain but I mess the frost the ground gets soft later in the day I hope it stays nice until Mid January so I can chase some cats. Snow no problem ice is the worst.
Posted By: AJE

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Yes it has sure slowed things up for trapping. But saves on other things.

The rain is probably helping the trees that were stressed from this years dry weather.

It's wierd, we don't have snow but the ground is not froze.

Maybe the deer will start hitting my water hole again

I actually had a nursery send me trees last week.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 05:15 PM

Once the moss starts going on you back, then you can complain.
Please turn in your man card until then.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 05:39 PM

Pretty easy on the woodshed, beaver traps are being set as we speak.
Posted By: billy

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 08:29 PM

i will agree with trapper this is not how we like it,but i think ones gotta adjust to this down south weather its over 40 degrees again today and snow is gone no snowmobile use ,i can drive all back rds yet extended fall season for sure and ya its easey on the woodpile wife says iits to warm in house gotta open window. we will see when it changes..who knows.. take care merry xmas.

Re: this weather - 12/17/23 09:11 PM

here the ice isn't safe to go on. The roads are too soft to drive on. I live here because I love winter the cold, the snow, and not many people in the woods.
Posted By: sjc

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 01:36 AM

I'm normally on the ice now. We had ice but not enough to walk on. At least I was able to get on the big lake this weekend and open water trap. Can't trap out of the boat in December very often here. Had fun and even got my first true albino rat. I've caught thousands of muskrats, but never a totally white, pink eyed one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 03:57 AM

Looking at temps in the low 50's here for next four days. Usually we have a foot or two or snow on the ground now. I have not had to feed my cows yet Crazy year for sure.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 11:55 AM

Thanks for sending it my way! LOL

Been in the fifties and raining here in southeast PA since yesterday afternoon. Almost four inches so far and it's still raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 12:17 PM

20 degrees and 30 mph winds right now with lake effect snow. Winter is back. Careful what you wish for.
Posted By: swamp

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 12:35 PM

Took the coon dog out for little while Saturday night and there were night crawlers partially out of the ground in a chopped corn field.

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by MT bowhunter
Looking at temps in the low 50's here for next four days. Usually we have a foot or two or snow on the ground now. I have not had to feed my cows yet Crazy year for sure.

Easy on the hay stash
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 01:03 PM

Our shallow wells have been struggling so we have been praying for rain and lots of it, thank you Jesus!

You are right though, no fun for trapping.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: this weather - 12/18/23 03:31 PM

That type of weather is where the Pipe Dream Set is king. If nothing else, just his method of bedding is what use during the WET times. Deep bed held by the jaws and covered with a screen will keep that set working regardless of how much rain you get.

Re: this weather - 12/19/23 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
That type of weather is where the Pipe Dream Set is king. If nothing else, just his method of bedding is what use during the WET times. Deep bed held by the jaws and covered with a screen will keep that set working regardless of how much rain you get.

True

Re: this weather - 12/19/23 11:13 AM

how its 12 degrees and going to be in the mid 40s Sunday with an all-day rain again
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: this weather - 12/19/23 12:25 PM

That’s a pile of rats SJC. I’m lucky if I see one a year, and yes I know water helps but it’s in short supply out here grin love the white rat. Congrats
Posted By: micheal

Re: this weather - 12/19/23 01:48 PM

Congratulations

Re: this weather - 02/28/24 03:54 AM

here the ice isn't safe to go on. The roads are too soft to drive on. I live here because I love winter the cold, the snow, and not many people in the woods.

Bad year for ice fishing. Last week my neighbors pond opened up & a turtle was sunning itself. The previous 1st turtle sighting was April 3rd. A co-worker had moles working already. Golf courses are already open. It's probably good for deer. I'm not sure if it will impact trees. Last winter we twice had such severe snow storms it knocked trees down. Strange how things can change. It's been nice on the heat bill but not good for firewood sales.

Re: this weather - 03/02/24 04:12 AM

With this dry winter weather, are some of you watering trees?

Re: this weather - 03/02/24 10:55 AM

7 degrees yesterday morning 34 degrees this morning high in the 50s today
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: this weather - 03/02/24 11:29 AM

Rivers around Green Bay are very low. Lots of worry about wild fires.
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: this weather - 03/02/24 01:35 PM

NW Missouri is dry as heck. Were under no burn orders. It's like walking on Corn Flakes in the woods. We need rain bad.

Re: this weather - 03/03/24 05:13 AM

I saw a lot of motorcycles today, and a convertible. There is still a lot of salt on the road though.

Re: this weather - 03/03/24 12:54 PM

yes, we need rain bad, we are in a drought!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: this weather - 03/03/24 02:32 PM

Yes on rain Roy, thunderstorms tonight here in north central Wi

Re: this weather - 03/03/24 02:45 PM

I think we can count on some rain. The frost is coming out of the ground and my part time neighbor is coming up today. He has an uncanny knack at finding conditions where he can mess up our joint driveway. LOL
Posted By: MJM

Re: this weather - 03/03/24 02:51 PM

21 degrees here this morning and about an hour of rain. Then turned to snow and shows snow until about 0700PM. Everything has a good layer of ice. I show -6 for a low tomorrow night. Nothing above freezing until the 9th and 33 then.

Re: this weather - 03/08/24 02:49 AM

I wonder how this winter will be for those that tried frost seeding
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: this weather - 03/08/24 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

My result frost seeding clovers for 15 years is..., they will be fine.

Re: this weather - 03/09/24 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Originally Posted by AJE

My result frost seeding clovers for 15 years is..., they will be fine.

Thanks. I frost seeded come grass seed this year, as well as winter rye. I probably should try it with clover.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: this weather - 03/10/24 01:30 AM

Aje, I should mention, there may be some clovers that Don't respond well to frost seeding?
Whites/ reds/ annuals/ perennials. May wanna check on the variety you are planning on.

Re: this weather - 03/14/24 02:10 AM

Thanks
© 2024 Trapperman Forums