Home

Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ?

Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 03:55 PM

Last Wednesday, my wife was on a call with a supervisor and former manager. By the time it was over, she had received a job offer in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Over the next few days , we prayed and talked about it . A lot ! And neither of us could find a good reason to not go. Stephanie was very close to her grandparents , she lost them both over the past year . That would've been a hold up. The kids said they were good to go. And to be honest ? I've grown kinda weary of the climate that SW Oklahoma offers. Between the scorching summers and winters where the winds seem to be trying to peel the hide off ya., I've had enough .

Her job offer was a good incentive to put things in motion. We had been planning it, anyway. She's going next month , I 'll be going with her to get her settled, then back to OK to get our house ready to sell and get the kids through the school year. Prayers and thoughts, folks. I'm pretty intimidated by the process. But that's not a good reason to "not". I
If any folks from the Lynchburg area has anything to add , we'd appreciate it. We're looking at Bedford . Seems to be more our pace.

PS- we haven't said anything on big social media until after she tenders her resignation with her company and things start moving forward.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 04:16 PM

Aaron, Congrats on the move and the wife’s new job. If you get down in SWVA give a shout we can chase crappie and stripers in the spring and summer. Eric

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper
Aaron, Congrats on the move and the wife’s new job. If you get down in SWVA give a shout we can chase crappie and stripers in the spring and summer. Eric

Looking forward to it,Eric !
Posted By: EdP

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 05:05 PM

We moved to Va 8 years ago. I like everything about our area (southwest Va) but the liberal state politics. The local area is conservative but the state has been taken over by liberals.

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
We moved to Va 8 years ago. I like everything about our area (southwest Va) but the liberal state politics. The local area is conservative but the state has been taken over by liberals.

What I've been hearing , too. That said , if her position had taken us up by the Beltway, probably would've been a hard no.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 06:33 PM

My sister and brother-in-law live between Lynchburg and Bedford. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away. A pretty decent area for outdoor interests.
Posted By: GUNNLEG

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 07:39 PM

Pretty new to the site and don't post much.

You will appreciate the area. Very scenic compared to SE Virginia where I live. You'll find that most areas outside of the big cities are fairly conservative. Hunting opportunities are spotty unless you get into a club or lease throughout much of the state.

Best of luck and welcome to the Commonwealth.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 08:13 PM

That all talk funny down there....
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 09:03 PM

For 20 years I kept coming back to Virginia. Desert storm to Virginia. Virginia to Alaska, Alaska to Virginia, Virginia to Kansas, Kansas to Virginia. I finally gave up and bought some land, retired and stayed. You'll like it!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 09:20 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4fur

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 11:24 PM

Bedford and west, lots of public land.
Posted By: Vatrapper63

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/11/23 11:43 PM

Bedford area is a good choice.... Don't think you will regret it. Plenty of game too.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 12:56 AM

Spent a few years in Blacksburg, real nice area. Pace is much slower than I was used to.

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 02:20 AM

Thank you all for the response. All duly noted.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 02:27 AM

I have relation that lives in stafford they’ve been there since the late 70’s it’s really grown up around them and you hear the rolling thunder all day and night, they don’t notice it but I can it’s amazing that even up there they still take a lot of two lane roads.

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I have relation that lives in stafford they’ve been there since the late 70’s it’s really grown up around them and you hear the rolling thunder all day and night, they don’t notice it but I can it’s amazing that even up there they still take a lot of two lane roads.

Funny you mention that. We were just discussing not living close to Ft Sill (/an artillery base ) , if we'd miss the noise. Thunder would help.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 02:47 AM

Just a steady sound of tires.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 07:11 PM

Welcome to the state. Weather here might prove to be not as nice as ya think lol.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 08:37 PM

I live in Stafford county. If you mean rolling thunder from artillery and mortar fire on base it is not an issue except for days with low clouds. If you mean traffic I’m 4 miles west of 95 and never hear it.
Posted By: Dewey S

Re: Adventure awaits ! Any Va folks ? - 12/12/23 08:40 PM

Once you get settled in, visit the D Day memorial first chance you get. Welcome to VA, you'll like it here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums