Home

Podcast vs. radio

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 12:45 AM

I’ve been looking at getting into podcast, as there is a couple that have come out this fall I maybe interested in, I was wondering do any of you guys listen to them while working instead of the FM radio or is it to distracting?
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 12:55 AM

I listen to my Apple Music account or podcasts. I enjoy mixing up the 2 forms of entertainment. Hard to listen to podcasts though sometimes as the equipment is too loud and I can't make out what they are saying.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:01 AM

I honestly don't see the difference between a podcast and a radio show . I hear a lot of people say stuff along the lines of " I'd listen to it if it was actually on the radio". Honestly I think a pod cast is better just plain due to the fact you can skip over boring part with a quick swipe. I know with the TPH pod cast they'll just jab her on about whatever for the first 10-20min before getting into the show, honestly I like it but if you don't just slide the time mark over and start listening.
Imo I say don't buy a cheese burger once a month use that $10 and get YouTube premium so some you can download ones for when you don't have service , listen without commercials, and listen to videos when you screen off. Seriously, way better way to spend you money
If you can work or drive while losing to the normal radio podcasts arnt any different at all.

Best thing is there's a pod cast for about anything you wanna know about with multiple different people doing it. Wanna listen to something about how great the .358 win is from some boomer ? They got that . All about tacticool black guns from some millennials who man meme references all the time they got a few. Fly fishing ? Which kind ? Trapping ? About 10 different once , so on and so forth

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:08 AM

The ones I saw were on audible, or is that not a podcast, I think we’re talking the same basic things, I really didn’t think about YouTube being a podcast provider but it does make sense.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:19 AM

Podcasts

Radio died for me when Brother Rush passed.

Only issue has been finding the best way to listen while working without A) distraction from surroundings and B) without killing battery resulting in search for charge. Just bought a Shokz opencomm bluetooth and it seems to run forever on a charge and the bone conduction leaves my ears open.

Other thing for me is my diverse interests has me queuing up political commentary, beekeeping, historical content, trapping, hunting. Music is of zero interest to me other than the latest stupid comment making the rounds from some talentless "star".

Heck, I've even heard some interesting stuff from a black kid in Mississippi, lol.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:24 AM

Audible would be podcasts. Podcasts properly are aural recordings not video but much of the video content today is done in the talk format so doesn't require viewing to fully grasp. The Joe Rogan Experience is a prime example as is all of Tim Pool's stuff.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:26 AM

That’s right we have some YouTube stars here don’t we, with a black kid from Mississippi and a kraut that’s run aground in Tennessee, and I think there maybe some more that I can’t remember.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:32 AM

Some good ones you can find on YouTube I don't watch any jua turn them on and toss my phone in the corner or something

Posted By: Posco

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:33 AM

Podcasts. Shawn Ryan and Ben Shapiro mostly.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:49 AM

I got into podcasts several years ago. I play them on my phone and have bluetooth speakers in my vehicles. I have one in my shop too. I don't listen to radio much anymore.

I don't listen at work much. I doubt my customers share my interests.

Woodworking, trapping, history, hunting, Rover's Morning Glory, etc.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 05:42 AM

Luckily my current job allows me to wear headphones while working. I guess you can call it radio most of the time because the broadcasts are live(pat gray unleashed, glenn beck, steve deace, occassionaly Mojo50 or crowder). Once those are off air I listen to other podcasts.

As for distracting, not really depending on whats going on. Some of the shows respond to tweets/emails live so I'll occasionally send stuff in.

I wear bone-conduction headphones because I do need to hear what is going on around me. Not that I really care for in ear headphones. I was turned on to the bone-conductions after the late Doc Thompson got hit by the amtrak a few years ago.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 11:08 AM

I've never listened to a podcast, I do a radio show once in a while, use to do it every week, but have the kids now. I was the top guy at the station for public comment. they tell me whenever I can come in, we talk trapping and outdoors stuff,
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 11:37 AM

I listen to podcasts everyday in my truck and shop at the house. Science, philosophy, political, firearms, survival and history mostly.

If it's political, don't just listen to what you want to hear. Challenge yourself by listening to opposing views from different people.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:16 PM

My radio in my work truck quit and Ford doesn’t have a fix so Spotify it is, lol. I generally have a lot of windshield time going from job to job and podcast are perfect. I have a wide variety of podcast I listen to, everything from military to wildlife habitat.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:39 PM

There are podcasts for almost any interest anymore. I like them when I am driving or working indoors. Before I go to sleep, a chapter or 2 from ans audio book helps me wind down.
Posted By: Ed Patrick

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 01:58 PM

I haven't listened to radio in years. It's either podcasts or Amazon music. Cut the chord on TV too.
Posted By: CJonesFTA

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 02:18 PM

I listen to podcasts a lot. When I'm driving, especially long trips, while I'm working, or just generally doing things around the house. I don't have a local radio station that comes in at the house, and when doing long drives, I don't have the patience to switch channels.

Most of what I listen to are true crime, but I do listen to some hunting, outdoors and business related ones as well. I listen through the Apple Podcast platform mostly, since I can pull that up anywhere from my phone. I do watch some on YouTube like Hoosier Outdoors.
Posted By: jht

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 05:08 PM

I listen to several podcasts, but generally only when I can devote my mental attention to the content. If I'm going to take time to listen, I want to listen. If I want background noise, music is good (not much good music on the radio though, so it'll be from my own collection). If the task at hand requires mental presence, silence is great.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 06:46 PM

I have never understood the attraction to listening to self proclaimed experts tell us what is what..all they are doing is selling themselves to make $.
Posted By: J.C.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 07:13 PM

If I have a medium-distance drive I will turn on a history Podcast. For the most part, I turn the radio. When I'm with my son he wants to hear classical or Christmas music. Go figure. Podcasts are different and I think you get more personal content.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
I have never understood the attraction to listening to self proclaimed experts tell us what is what..all they are doing is selling themselves to make $.

Honestly now days very few people say or act like their experts. Most of the guys I listen to point black say " yeah where just a bunch of hicks with a microphone" that's why so many are popular,just average dude who might be good at something just chatting. Now if of course you have a lot of guys who are experts but very rarely will they say it. They let their credentials speak for themselves. When you have someone like Eric Cortina say "I'm the world champion in FClass " or Clay Ried say he's killed 365 coyote in one year and it's all easily found and documented...well

It's like the believe the target pod cast .when it's an interview with someone who is literally a hall of fame because rest champ well.... Would be kinda retarded to no think you as a reloader might not wanna listen to him. Or with the farmer podcast ,you not gonna sit here and tell me there could be nothing to gain from listing to an interview with a guy who started from nothing and is now a successful farmer. Or you have the literal guy who built something come on to talk about it well.

And let's be honest if you have that much information or on that high of a level where you are an expert, or you you can make a podcast that people enjoy listing to, what's wrong making money off of it ? Not gonna tell me you could just sit around with some cool people or friends and just talk about something you like and get paid for it most people won't do that
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 07:24 PM

vortex nation has some interesting podcasts

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/11/23 08:42 PM

I've found that most everyone of any intellect is a subject matter expert in something, even if it's just their job or family or community or hobby.

Sometimes that is of interest to others. Why not get reimbursed for sharing? And if not profitable it is at least preserved for posterity.

Even Marty might know more than me on some things.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 01:55 AM

Some good advice and looks like some good podcasts, while working I wouldn’t be listening to something political but I do understand the purpose of listening to both sides, the rock stations I listen to have been replaying songs and it’s getting boring and I need something to drown out ringing in my ears and it seems to help me focus better as I’m not hearing things that can distract me.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

Even Marty might know more than me on some things.

laugh

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 02:02 AM

If these are just normal folks shooting the bull why should I spend my time on them?

You folks can listen to my share of this also, I pass.

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 02:05 AM

I’m looking for something different than radio and maybe some type of audio book not sure just looking, what do you listen too?

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 03:25 AM

I listen to music or my thoughts. I rarely play the radio while driving. I try to just enjoy the peace and quiet...

If I want to read a book I get a book and read it which is something I do almost every evening.

I will watch part of a podcast if it comes up as relevant on a search I did. The big earphones and mikes are a bit comical...
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 05:45 AM

If I'm around the house or driving I like conservative talk radio. There is a local guy in the morning. Have my choice of Glenn Beck or Clay and Buck in the morning. Sean Hannity or Armstrong and Getty early afternoon. Mark Levine or Jesse Kelly late afternoon.
I get to listen to the enemy at dinner time. Public Radio Network has a local evening news show with the liberal slant. Also the NPR economic show.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Podcast vs. radio - 12/12/23 12:11 PM

I just started listening to podcasts a year ago. Wish I would have figured it out 10 years ago. I listen to the Wright Report every morning. Best 20 minutes of world news there is. If I miss a hour of Jesse Kelly show I will listen to it the next morning. When I’m on a road trip or putting in long hours on a tractor i catch up on Jocko podcasts. I’ve learned a ton about Vietnam and Leadership from his podcast.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums