Home

Score this 8

Posted By: Steven 49er

Score this 8 - 12/05/23 05:07 AM

From several years ago.

Seeing as you knuckleheads want to argue over a stupid deer how much is this one. It's been officially scored by a certified BandC scorer. Take note the girls don't feel the need to stretch their arms out as far as possible lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 05:36 AM

Mass measurements will be tough !!but I’ll give it a shot
So won’t be any confusion I’ll GUESS gross and net

141 gross
134 net
. Hard to judge mass in pic
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 05:57 AM

I think 10" more than Jbyrd.

I think that deer will gross around 152. His beauty points down near the base will score. I don't care about net.

Unfortunate thing IMO about the BC scoring system is that is does not give the deer credit for how much bone is on his head; its more of a measure of symmetry. The mass of those tines, and how he carries the mass all the way out to the end of his beam ought to count for something.

Its why I'm in favor of a water displacement scoring method. Tells you how much bone is on the deer's head. Take that measurement and then just add the spread. IMO, it gives the deer credit for what he grew rather than how pretty he is.

I have a 139" 8 point on the wall with 33" of mass. I gave Steven's deer 34" of mass.

All I know is that ya'lls deer up there are some hairy rascals! Our deer here have hides, ya'lls got fur!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 07:30 AM

147.5" very impressive buck congrats to the young lady.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 07:44 AM

When they are done guessing yours Steven, I'm going to have them score this 8....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Idaho Bison

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 07:53 AM

Looks like there may be 5 scoreable points on the left side. I think deductions will be much higher.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 07:58 AM

152 gross
143 net

ADC, that almost looks like a hybrid. smile
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 08:43 AM

146 for both grin
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog
152 gross
143 net

ADC, that almost looks like a hybrid. smile

Yea, looks almost like a SIKA elk.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 11:28 AM

150ish gross heck of a deer!
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 11:31 AM

140”
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 12:14 PM

143 7/8 net.
150 gross.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 12:27 PM

Gotta 100 point deduction for not stretching the arms right?

I’m scoring it 24” x 40” . Space the head mount should be taking up on the smiling young ladies wall.

Osky

* edited to add wearing the Cabelas label can be considered a deduction these days as well. We’ll give that deduction to dad.
Posted By: okcattrapper

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:12 PM

136 gross
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:17 PM

After all the additions and subtractions I say “Dats a nice one and a happy girl, WIN WIN!!”
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:21 PM

Posted By: Northof50

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:32 PM

Is that the one I saw several years ago on the wall at your place.?
remember guys that there probably some Canadian blood in that deer's history
Posted By: Kru

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:37 PM

146 Gross
Heck of a nice buck. Congrats.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:40 PM

Great 8 pt love the nice 8s with mass
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:42 PM

Really nice mature buck, not built to score well. Congrats to the hunter. Probably hit 150 gross, ignore the net on that one.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:51 PM

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 01:51 PM

I'm not looking at the correct buck pic. The pic I see is of a young girl with a buck that has at least 9 points, not 8.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I'm not looking at the correct buck pic. The pic I see is of a young girl with a buck that has at least 9 points, not 8.

Probably referring it as a main frame 8 junk as deductions, I prefer a gross score only and give the deer credit for antler growth
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 02:26 PM

10 point ifin you count that little fella growing off the base

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
When they are done guessing yours Steven, I'm going to have them score this 8....

[Linked Image]

49 gross
42 net

200 bonus plus on delicious

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 03:48 PM

What did it score????
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 03:57 PM

Haha, I’ll give him 38” on beams
40” mass
16” spread
40” tines

134”
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 04:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Good thing you got that mutant out of the gene pool
before it got the chance to breed and pass on
it's mongoloid antler traits !!!! laugh

Looks like it's ancestors might have been bred
with a non-indigenous European Roe Deer !!!!

What a freak !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 04:27 PM

That's a 4 pointer
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 09:51 PM

I score it as yummy with mashed taters gravey and a veg cant eat head bone.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 10:05 PM

Nice heavy rack, Congratulations
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 10:19 PM

That's a great buck no matter the numbers. Congratulations to your daughter. To me, numbers matter little. It's by the overall appearance that I personally judge deer.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/05/23 11:47 PM

Don’t ever tell them what it scored Steven. It’ll drive some of them mad. LOL
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
That's a great buck no matter the numbers. Congratulations to your daughter. To me, numbers matter little. It's by the overall appearance that I personally judge deer.

Me too

I Hate Scores

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 01:09 AM

Not me. Don't care much for score. Never have.
A good buck is a good buck.
A 150 6 year old is more of a trophy then a 160 3 year old.
And an OLD doe trumps most.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Not me. Don't care much for score. Never have.
A good buck is a good buck.
A 150 6 year old is more of a trophy then a 160 3 year old.
And an OLD doe trumps most.

Amen!!! Only issue is I get a soft spot for real old gals and generally give them a pass.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:10 AM

148 gross
Posted By: charles

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 03:11 AM

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B
That's a 4 pointer

Sigh! It isn't my fault you guys out "west" can't count past ten with your shoes on.

I hate to say it but I don't know what it scores lol.

I had to take it off the wall and see what the guy wrote on the back, 147 1/4 net. I dont know what the gross exactly, don't know what I did with the score sheet. 154 rings a bell.

I got another 8 I'll post some day to see if you crackpots can get it.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Osky

* edited to add wearing the Cabelas label can be considered a deduction these days as well. We’ll give that deduction to dad.

That picture is 9 years old lol.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:23 AM

Around 130"

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Originally Posted by Marty B
That's a 4 pointer

Sigh! It isn't my fault you guys out "west" can't count past ten with your shoes on.

I had to take it off the wall and see what the guy wrote on the back, 147 1/4 net. I dont know what the gross exactly, don't know what I did with the score sheet. 154 rings a bell.

I got another 8 I'll post some day to see if you crackpots can get it.

Thanks Steven!

Awesome job Yes Sir!

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:34 AM

Incredible buck with crazy mass no matter what the numbers! Bet you were a proud daddy! Congrats!

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 12:35 PM

I got another 8 I'll post some day to see if you crackpots can get it.[/quote]

Thanks Steven!

Awesome job Yes Sir!
[/quote]
Thanks. You were right there yourself

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:00 PM

Super nice deer !!!

I might question his scoring ability if he wrote down 147 1/4 . Let B&B tell you why .........

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Super nice deer !!!

I might question his scoring ability if he wrote down 147 1/4 . Let B&B tell you why .........

That's a shocker. Who would have seen that coming?
I could tell why your missing so many double digits but it's so fun to watch u flounder it would cost u $

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:37 PM

I'm going to claim the win on this one.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I'm going to claim the win on this one.

OK you’re the winner Bernie. I’ll second that.

Osky

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 02:55 PM

Dang.., missed by 4". blush

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 03:02 PM

I think yes sir was closer Bernie.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:32 PM

I might question his scoring ability if he wrote down 147 1/4 . ..

Well he is an official measurer for the Boone and Crocket Club. If that isn't good enough for you, that's on you.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:34 PM

Oh no one floundering here . I’ve seen the truck bed tape measure tons of times . I might miss the mass from a photo but main beam and tine length I’d look at a deer and can get within a half an inch when the tape measure is put in the right spot
Look at these 2 deer one was posted WITH an official score sheet one wasn’t. But they grossed nearly the same ? Lol Stop being blinded by jealousy and look and compare
[Linked Image]

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:37 PM

One on the left was farther away because it was so wide they couldn't get up any closer

With that said BOTH are brutes. One on right isn't 150 class deer.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:38 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:39 PM

I might question his scoring ability if he wrote down 147 1/4 . ..

Well he is an official measurer for the Boone and Crocket Club. If that isn't good enough for you, that's on you.

Oh doesn't matter to me at all. He might want to do a class on it then. NO SCORER ever rights a measurement in 1/4 ..... EVER !!!

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:42 PM

Well if it will please you I'll post the official score sheet when I see the gentleman again to get a copy.

If that 135 pound girl stick her arms out like the dude in your picture it would look like a freak. You know, the way you take fish pictures?

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:45 PM

By the way big nuts, i don't care what deer score and this jealousy you speak of is not in my nature.

All I know is what is says on the back, what the score sheet said and started this post to create some conversation.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:50 PM

.. stay on em Uncle Jbyrd…you got these amateurs backed in a corner now !

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 04:54 PM

Well if it will please you I'll post the official score sheet when I see the gentleman again to get a copy.

If that 135 pound girl stick her arms out like the dude in your picture it would look like a freak. You know, the way you take fish pictures?

Steven don't get me wrong that is one heck of a stud the young lady killed !!! True trophy. But this entire line of debate was 150 in 8pointers. Do they exist ? Certainly ! But 95 % of the Claimed 150 class 8's don't come close. If you get the chance go to a deer expo and watch the faces drop when they bring in their deer to get scored properly. Looks like a kid that just got his trick or treat candy took away. That 170 in 10 point bubba killed suddenly becomes a 135 incher. That 160 in 8 magically turns into a above average 125 . Seen it happen hundreds of times.
NOTHING against her deer ! I'm glad you guys have that memory that will last forever.....

Not referring to you . Sorry if you thought that !!!

Hope you are doing well

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 05:02 PM

Glad she wasn't . Does makes it easier to guess.................. One thing that should jump out is BOTH deer have their ears flopped down Your daughters deer the inside spread is well within the spread of the ears. The one I posted beside it the spread is a good 2 inches on the OUTSIDE of each ear tip. Holding it away from the body or hugging it tight won't change that . Don't even try to compare tine length.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 05:12 PM

Jbird sometimes I feel guilt for picking on u when you open the door so wide. For my conscious's sake you are a grown adult without any clinical mental ailments aren't you?
Posted By: imiller

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 05:31 PM

these threads are awful entertaining

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 05:42 PM

Oh doesn't matter to me at all. He might want to do a class on it then. NO SCORER ever rights a measurement in 1/4 ..... EVER !!!

I dont know if they do or not, this is from the B&C official website.

All measurements must be made with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. (Note: A flexible steel cable can be used to measure points and main beams only.) Enter fractional figures in eighths, without reduction. For example, if a point measures 7 and 2/8 inches, you would enter 7 2/8 in the space provided.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/scorechart/add/whitetail_deer
Posted By: Hunter53

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 06:38 PM

I dont know if they do or not, this is from the B&C official website.

All measurements must be made with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. (Note: A flexible steel cable can be used to measure points and main beams only.) Enter fractional figures in eighths, without reduction. For example, if a point measures 7 and 2/8 inches, you would enter 7 2/8 in the space provided.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/scorechart/add/whitetail_deer

Right in your post it shows official scores to be wrote down in 1/8ths. If an official scorer writes anything besides measurements in 1/8ths he is either not an actual official scorer or he sure should not be.

With that said before reading past your first post I thought it would gross right around 151.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Jbird sometimes I feel guilt for picking on u when you open the door so wide. For my conscious's sake you are a grown adult without any clinical mental ailments aren't you?

LOL I'll get back to on that one . I do have a psych eval coming up shortly !!!

Amen hunter 53 . Thank you......

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 08:32 PM

Well then you guys are just knitpicking. My whole life I've been taught to simplify fractions.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 08:40 PM

… here’s my biggest 8 point… never had a deer scored so I want My Uncle Jbyrd to do it

[Linked Image]

… score him up Uncle J… you’re the only one I trust

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 08:45 PM

LOL I'll get back to on that one . I do have a psych eval coming up shortly !!!

Amen hunter 53 . Thank you......

Good news is if u don't like their results on your evaluation you don't have to believe it grin

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 09:09 PM

Hey Jbyrd, what does my 8-poiinter score?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hunter53

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 09:14 PM

Well then you guys are just knitpicking. My whole life I've been taught to simplify fractions.

Definitely wasn’t trying to nitpick anything. You said you were not sure and I was just confirming what you posted to be true about officially needing to be scored in 1/8ths. Also the fact an official score would/should never use anything else.

As for the deer; it is a dandy no matter what the score and she should be extremely happy with it.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 10:08 PM

I can't imagine Anybody that could enjoy being around him.

His perception of most things he posts about are...., well.yanno.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 10:32 PM

I can't imagine Anybody that could enjoy being around him.

His perception of most things he posts about are...., well.yanno.

. This coming from a person that lives by himself far away from anyone. I'd bet not by choice !!!!!

.Inflatable people don't count. Hate to tell you that ...

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
… here’s my biggest 8 point… never had a deer scored so I want My Uncle Jbyrd to do it

[Linked Image]

Nephew I just knocked back a pappy vanwinkle so that there deer is "pushing 200" With you being 6'5 and 250 lbs of all muscle even those giant 200 inch deer look small if your holding them !!!

But according to most it's 156 5/4. like all 8 pointers...

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter53

Definitely wasn’t trying to nitpick anything. You said you were not sure and I was just confirming what you posted to be true about officially needing to be scored in 1/8ths. Also the fact an official score would/should never use anything else.

As for the deer; it is a dandy no matter what the score and she should be extremely happy with it.

Careful hunter 53 The edit police will cite you for editing more than one post .

Re: Score this 8 - 12/06/23 10:57 PM

Hey bucks and bra score this one !!

[Linked Image]

Nephew this is your favorite pic !!!

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 12:06 AM

… good memories for sure

[Linked Image]
Posted By: riverbank

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 12:19 AM

I’ve scored a ton of deer in my life, and your girls deer is undoubtedly a gross 150 deer. If I had to guess, the pictures don’t do it any favors and it looks a lot bigger in person.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 12:53 AM

Hey bucks and bra score this one !!

[Linked Image]

Nephew this is your favorite pic !!!

Squirt of a buck but the guy holding it is a B&C KnowItAll..

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:14 AM

.. you’re being mean again bucsnbras

… if you can’t say anything nice .. don’t say anything at all

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:22 AM

Don’t think he got the message nephew. You know he rode the short bus until he dropped out in second grade. Go easy on him

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:32 AM

Don’t think he got the message nephew. You know he rode the short bus until he dropped out in second grade. Go easy on him

Edit..
Hey savell, when are you gonna stop the charade of liking him?
You don't and we all know it.
He's not bright enough to know that this stupid uncle stuff was you trying to be funny.
You like him so much, go meet him for a couple days fishing/ hunting. smirk

Yeah, I figgered.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:46 AM

Edit..
Hey savell, when are you gonna stop the charade of liking him?
You don't and we all know it.
He's not bright enough to know that this stupid uncle stuff was you trying to be funny.
You like him so much, go meet him for a couple days fishing/ hunting. smirk

Yeah, I figgered.

…. You figured what?

.. the only reason I haven’t rode northeast to meet him is because I already kill enough deer , fish and fur around here I’d be afraid I’d decimate the population if I got any tips off him!

… go tend to your pumpkins before all the deer dump you for the dude that planted strawberries!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

[Linked Image]

Pretty decent 3 point right there
Posted By: Average Joe

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by imiller
these threads are awful entertaining

More like a train wreck, hard to look away from.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 03:12 AM

Savell, your uncle hasn't taught you how to properly hold a deer for a picture. Get them elbows out.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 03:32 AM

Savell, your uncle hasn't taught you how to properly hold a deer for a picture. Get them elbows out.

… that talk is above my pay grade

.. all I know is I ran that deer down and beat it to death with a wild turkey bottle on my 25th birthday

.. my buddy let me use his bow for the picture

… anyhow I’m thinking about studying pope and crochet scoring full time going forward cause there seems to be a market for it

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 03:48 AM

No lot might be surprised how likable I am. Bucks n bras You smart off everything I post or comment on. Because I was able to do the math on a post you bragging about killing nearly 400 deer .
But I’ll tell you one thing you come at me I don’t back down and in most cases I’m more than prepared. People like you can’t stand to have facts put in your face
If not true let me tell you things that bother you !
If I put an exclamation point on a sentence
If I edit because my phone autocorrect and puts a stupid word in
You make comments only after I post and most times it’s nothing to do with it

But hey I’m smiling in my house with my beautiful wife. Waiting on the weekend so my granddaughters can spend the night. What you doing this weekend? Carving out a lady part from a pumpkin so you will have a date ?

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 03:57 AM

^^^^ poetry rivaling Beowulf right there

… and bucsnbras is up to 402 deer now if my math’s correct

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 04:02 AM

No nephew based on his average of 13.36 per year it’s 450 That was 5 seasons ago

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 04:03 AM

No nephew based on his average of 13.36 per year it’s 450 That was 5 seasons ago

… that man is on another level then

… I’m only on # 449 & 1/4

… guess I need to plant a punkin vine to get me over the top

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 05:14 AM

Helluva bowkill Savell. Awesome buck, even if you had to hit him over the head with a whisky bottle! The empty bottle should have definitely been in the pic as well.

Re: Score this 8 - 12/07/23 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Helluva bowkill Savell. Awesome buck, even if you had to hit him over the head with a whisky bottle! The empty bottle should have definitely been in the pic as well.

… thanks Chancey… I’ve killed outright ..and mortally wounded many things with a whiskey bottle.. up to and including crakheads and renegade mescins… I’m just not sure if Poon & Sprocket considers that method as fair chase ?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums