Home

Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State

Posted By: ol mike

Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 03:50 AM

Anybody know the name of the company?

They make the machine frame/tracks etc. and you install the engine of your choice.

Thanks for any help. Mike
Posted By: Jmack

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 03:52 AM

Snowdog is what one of my buddies has.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 05:57 AM

I like Snow-Dogs but would prefer something with a Honda engine instead of a Briggs & Stratton.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 05:45 PM

The non Snowdog versions are usually called track sleds, that might help your search.

I built this one this spring and am in the process of building another. My main use will be for ice fishing. They're not too difficult to build yourself if you have a welder and a little mechanical know how.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 05:53 PM

Here you go, they sell kits less engine.
https://tingeratv.com/model/tingerdog/
Dealer in Oregon, Georgia
Posted By: Posco

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ol mike
I like Snow-Dogs but would prefer something with a Honda engine instead of a Briggs & Stratton.

That's what I was thinking. Put a Honda engine on one and I'd buy it.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:14 PM

What is the advantage of these over a traditional snow machine? Is it just weight?
Posted By: Osagan

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
The non Snowdog versions are usually called track sleds, that might help your search.

I built this one this spring and am in the process of building another. My main use will be for ice fishing. They're not too difficult to build yourself if you have a welder and a little mechanical know how.

[Linked Image]

Good looking fabrication there TLGUY............
Curious... Why would someone who lives in snow country (I don't), prefer this to a regular snow machine that you ride on?
Haul more stuff? Gets around better?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:23 PM

Refined link
https://www.kenotractors.com/product-category/tinger/

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:34 PM

Looks like the perfect rig for my needs. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Bus3

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
What is the advantage of these over a traditional snow machine? Is it just weight?

They are super easy to load in the back of a truck and maneuver through trees pretty good. They definitely don’t have the power like a snowmobile but they do pretty well.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 07:08 PM

I would have no use for a Snow-dog here in Alabama. A little information I found using a GOOGLE search

The Tingerdog is compatible with 4 engine choices: the Predator 420CC, Briggs&Stratton XR2100, Kohler CH440 or the Honda GX390.

Where is Tingerdog made?
The "Tinger Dog" has come out from a Russian manufacturer.Feb 2, 2021

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 07:18 PM

tlguy ,
Nice looking machine..
I'm a decent mechanic but don't have any welding skills.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 07:21 PM

Flipper 56 ,
Howdy ...
That's what I was looking for - I was on the site but didn't scroll down far enough to see the Kit.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/05/23 11:07 PM

Way over-priced - like everything else..
Tinger Dog
Inbox

Trevor Nystrom <trevor@kenotractors.com>
1:38&#8239;PM (3 hours ago)

Hello,

The price on the tinger dog kit with everything you need to install the engine is $3200. Also you get a free sled this month with that purchase.

Trevor Nystrom
Service Manager
Keno Tractors
541-850-8193

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 12:01 AM

Lots of advantages for my particular situation, but a track sled isn't for everyone.

Weight/size - the green one weighed about 225 pounds and around 5' long. It can easily go in the back of a truck with an ATV ramp or hauled on a hitch hauler. I will use mine almost exclusively for ice fishing, and where I fish, trailer parking is extremely limited. If you're not at the lot by 4am, you can't park a trailer. No need for a trailer with this.

Cost - I had about $800 into that green one, will have a little closer to $1000 into my current build. Around here, you can't get a reliable 4x4 atv or snowmobile for that, and even if you do, parts and repairs for a 30 yr old machine are expensive or hard to come by. The track sled is much simpler in design and operation. Mine uses a brand new Harbor Freight engine and an Amazon torque converter.

Pretty simple to build, and fun to boot. I had so much fun building the first one, I sold it before I even had a chance to use it for ice fishing and am building another one. It helps that my dad has a shop with all the tools a guy could need plus a dummy-proof welder.

No registration - unlike a snowmobile or atv, in Wisconsin one of these homemade track sleds doesn't need registration. It can't be used on the trails, but I gave up trail riding long ago. I can have enough fun tooling around on the lake or in the woods if I want.

Like a snowmobile or atv, they can haul quite a bit of weight. I've seen these things drag 5 or 6 sleds full of gear all tied together out on the ice. Most have 6-7hp engines that put out just north of 200cc, so they don't really fly, but most are geared for torque, not speed. Top speed is usually around 15mph.

I'll make a post when I finish this build. Hope to get it done in the next couple weeks.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 01:10 AM

Lots of advantages for my particular situation, but a track sled isn't for everyone.

Weight/size - the green one weighed about 225 pounds and around 5' long. It can easily go in the back of a truck with an ATV ramp or hauled on a hitch hauler. I will use mine almost exclusively for ice fishing, and where I fish, trailer parking is extremely limited. If you're not at the lot by 4am, you can't park a trailer. No need for a trailer with this.

Cost - I had about $800 into that green one, will have a little closer to $1000 into my current build. Around here, you can't get a reliable 4x4 atv or snowmobile for that, and even if you do, parts and repairs for a 30 yr old machine are expensive or hard to come by. The track sled is much simpler in design and operation. Mine uses a brand new Harbor Freight engine and an Amazon torque converter.

Pretty simple to build, and fun to boot. I had so much fun building the first one, I sold it before I even had a chance to use it for ice fishing and am building another one. It helps that my dad has a shop with all the tools a guy could need plus a dummy-proof welder.

No registration - unlike a snowmobile or atv, in Wisconsin one of these homemade track sleds doesn't need registration. It can't be used on the trails, but I gave up trail riding long ago. I can have enough fun tooling around on the lake or in the woods if I want.

Like a snowmobile or atv, they can haul quite a bit of weight. I've seen these things drag 5 or 6 sleds full of gear all tied together out on the ice. Most have 6-7hp engines that put out just north of 200cc, so they don't really fly, but most are geared for torque, not speed. Top speed is usually around 15mph.

I'll make a post when I finish this build. Hope to get it done in the next couple weeks.

You really did a great job that track machine. I remember it from last year when you built it.
You hit a lot of the pros I bought one for. I like the light weight, can go places where a snowmobile can't, I pull up to 1000 lbs, takes no room to store 5ft., no licensing or insurance needed and is very handy at the ranch and when the snow gets deep, mine has a 14 HP B&S. You can use them year around do not need snow.

We have had snow machines all your life and we really don't need them anymore. Snow Dog is simple built not like a snow mobile with all the BS on them and when something goes wrong you need to take it to get fixed. Snow Dog is a couple of pulleys and a motor not really anything hard to complicated about them. Go and buy a 3K snowmobile and all you have is trouble and don't ask how I know.
They aren't for everyone and I don't need a machine to go 60 mph and get to the highest summit. I need something to get me from A to B and be able to be a work horse and that is what I use it for and is what I we need it for.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 01:37 AM

I think you have skills, tiguy. Very impressive.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 01:48 AM

You guys are too kind. I think if you saw how easy they were to make, you'd have one too! This second one I'm making will have a custom frame which is taking a bit more fabrication and creativity, but reusing the snowmobile tunnel makes it pretty easy. If a guy had all the parts, he could put one together in a weekend easy.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 04:23 AM

You guys are too kind. I think if you saw how easy they were to make, you'd have one too! This second one I'm making will have a custom frame which is taking a bit more fabrication and creativity, but reusing the snowmobile tunnel makes it pretty easy. If a guy had all the parts, he could put one together in a weekend easy.

Where do you source the actual track ? I think I have everything else.
Thanks

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 04:36 AM

Where do you source the actual track ? I think I have everything else.
Thanks

Oh, I just found that other thread and see where you got the bulk of it from a snow machine. Cool !
Thanks

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 05:26 AM

The track is just a snowmobile track, usually comes with the sled that gets torn down for the frame. Most snowmobiles use a track that's 121" long by 15" wide with a 2.52 pitch, meaning there's 2.52 inches between the holes. The track doesn't need to be anything special, they're made to go 60+ mph on a snowmobile, these machines go 10-15 and don't put on hundreds of miles per year either.

I'm adding studs to mine for added traction on ice. Some of these machines have brakes, but mine didn't/won't. They stop pretty well on their own just by letting off the throttle. Again, they're only going 10-15mph, not screaming down a trail at 100mph.

Lots of YouTube videos out there on how to make them, and if you're on Facebook, Track Sled Builds of the North is a great group to join. Every question you have has been asked and answered dozens of times.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 02:06 PM

Thanks !
I'll give them a look.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 02:22 PM

[Linked Image]

I use a regular mini bike clutch on my ice motor but it’s about maxed out when I get a load of wood in the boat. I’ve actually blew one up before. Does the torque converter handle heavier loads a lot better than a clutch?

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 04:11 PM

The torque converter is pretty common on these machines. Many have good luck with the Chinese knockoffs, but Comet is a reliable name brand, kind of like using a Honda vs Harbor Freight.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 05:56 PM

The only Chinese knock off I have had regular success with is the Harbor freight Predator motors. I have beat them to death up and down the river, open water and frozen and have had great luck with them.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/06/23 05:59 PM

Thanks much, I think I’ll go be a comet Kit a go.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 03:06 PM

If a manufacturer would listen to Snowy words they could sell the machines by the trainload.

Snowy quote ; ""They aren't for everyone and I don't need a machine to go 60 mph and get to the highest summit. I need something to get me from A to B and be able to be a work horse and that is what I use it for and is what I we need it for."" And his words ''something simple and easy to work on.''

Imagine a lightweight snowmobile with a Honda/Kawasaki four stroke engine - quiet - dependable - no frills like speedometer/gas gauge/etc. , no Bluetooth remote start <[LAFF].
A snowmobile that parallels a Yamaha TW200 or Honda Trail 125 < I just bought a new HondaTrail 6 weeks ago.
A machine to get you there and back home with a top speed of 25MPH , cruise at 15-20MPH and run all day on 3-4 gallons of gas. Price $4,995.oo
Not made for jumping/wheelies/backflips/wild teen boys - just a dependable alternative to snow shoes.

I waited for months on end to get the little Honda Trail 125 -same story with all of the small quiet bikes > lots of people buying them. < Boomers like me would be standing in line to get one.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ol mike
If a manufacturer would listen to Snowy words they could sell the machines by the trainload.

Snowy quote ; ""They aren't for everyone and I don't need a machine to go 60 mph and get to the highest summit. I need something to get me from A to B and be able to be a work horse and that is what I use it for and is what I we need it for."" And his words ''something simple and easy to work on.''

Imagine a lightweight snowmobile with a Honda/Kawasaki four stroke engine - quiet - dependable - no frills like speedometer/gas gauge/etc. , no Bluetooth remote start <[LAFF].
A snowmobile that parallels a Yamaha TW200 or Honda Trail 125 < I just bought a new HondaTrail 6 weeks ago.
A machine to get you there and back home with a top speed of 25MPH , cruise at 15-20MPH and run all day on 3-4 gallons of gas. Price $4,995.oo
Not made for jumping/wheelies/backflips/wild teen boys - just a dependable alternative to snow shoes.

I waited for months on end to get the little Honda Trail 125 -same story with all of the small quiet bikes > lots of people buying them. < Boomers like me would be standing in line to get one.

The price must have went up a lot on them and I suppose no difference than snow mobiles went up also.

I paid 3200$ delivered to the door. I didn't get reverse in mine don't need and just another thing to go wrong. It is so light I can lift or turn it around if I have to and no need for reverse. The other thing it is shorter then 5 feet. Mine is 52 inches long and a true work horse.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 05:40 PM

Snowy ,

Howdy.
I was saying that if someone manufactured a machine like I mentioned for $4995.oo they would sell like hotcakes -IMO.

I went and looked on Snow Dog site - yes - they went way up in the past 2-3 years , $4,999.oo . I remember them being around $3,500 - 5-6 years ago .
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 08:45 PM

Pretty sure dey get stuck in de dad gum snow.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 08:59 PM

[Linked Image]

They only weigh a couple hundred pounds, so they pretty much float on top of the snow. That pic was me running mine on 16" of fresh snow on top of the rest of the winter's snow. If they do get stuck, you just step off the sled, goose it a little and your back in business.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 09:04 PM

Seen a couple clips on utube-they were stuck all the time in only about 2 and a half feet of snow.Couldnt get up a small hill,and no cargo.
Couple places that carried them around here no longer sell them.

Re: Snow-Dog Type Snow Machine Made- Washington State - 12/07/23 10:37 PM

It has it's given set of skills and appears to be real good at them.
Nothing is great at everything. This was made primarily for ice fishing and does pretty good in moderate snow.
But, I bet you can't fish from it this summer smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums