Home

Cribbage

Posted By: Gulo

Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:22 PM

Seems to me a lot of Card games or board games are regional. Cribbage, from what I've seen, is common throughout Alaska, and is a common game from Minnesota, Wisconsin. Anybody out there play cribbage. You guys from other regions of the U.S. or Canada play it?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:23 PM

Pitch!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:28 PM

We play Cribbage.....mostly when in the camper.

Have a nice big board ...with 1 1/2 inch metal pegs...it’s an oval board 0-120 around the edge of the board.

Play a lot of 4 player ( team of 2 ) ....that’s a lot of fun...SNIPE !!!!
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:43 PM

I’ve seen some folks from Montana and a fella from Minnesota mix it up in a mean game of cribbage once….
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:52 PM

Walrus tusk cribbage boards are common in western Alaska.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:53 PM

Been playing since my father decided I could reliably add to 15.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:57 PM

I used to play quite a bit. It is one of the few games that you only need two players.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Cribbage - 11/26/23 11:59 PM

Never here. Euchre was popular here
Posted By: Tray

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:00 AM

Play cribbage here, was a popular game in college.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:01 AM

Crib is king in our house.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:02 AM

I enjoy playing, but my wife doesn't. Used to work with a couple guys that were good competition. Matter of fact, they were all better than me on average.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:02 AM

I play cribbage but then I’m a midwest transplant.

Oregon Trappers have a cribbage tournament every year at their August rendezvous. Not to brag - but my name is on the travelling trophy three (3!!) times!!
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:03 AM

My wife and I play every day.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:05 AM

Interesting! So far, it's sounding like a northern game. Is it Canadian also?
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:13 AM

All of my buddy’s in North West Ontario play crib. Several here in NE too. Me, not so much. I do have a couple cool boards though.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:14 AM

Play all the time in Saskatchewan. We play at work to. Also have a variation of the game that you lay down cards on a board. 5 cards wide and 5 cards high. One team makes their hands going up and down the other team side to side. Middle row on each team is the only row the other team can’t put a card in. Cut card goes directly in the Center. Build your hands from there and each player lays a card anyplace on the board except the other teams middle row. Hard to explain but I enjoy this crib game more because their is a lot more strategy involved.
Posted By: charles

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:16 AM

Played at an Elks Lodge in Reidsville NC. Lumber dealer donated beautiful wood for a multi-game table-bar. Was popular. I’ve played a few games but not many.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:22 AM

about everyone in my family plays cribbage and sheepshead I just never could sit still long enough to learn

in my wife's family it is Uker and cribbage
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:24 AM

Cribbage player here although not as much as I'd like.

Used to play a lot of pinochle as well. No one my age plays it and the old boys that used to play it at the cafe are all pretty much gone. It's been a few years, I'd have to watch a few hands to get the hang of it again.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:26 AM

yes and played every morning at the lake with the kids growing up.
When the daughter went into Grade one she asked if anyone could count, after several kids tried after about 12 they were muffled, no problem my daughter went up to 31 and the teacher stopped her. Then she asked if they could count by two's, and waiting for the others she had a roll;
15-2
15-4
15-6
15-8
15-10
and a bushel !
Muffled the teacher asked.."a Bushel "
yup just like buns you buy 12
The light came on when the teacher asked ? Cribbage, and I have skunked my dad many times
and with those Math skills she went on to be a land surveyor
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:26 AM

I used to play a lot when grandpa was alive, when he died I lost interest.
Posted By: deerfly

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:28 AM

Most everyone in my family plays as well, I do not. My daughter's, (11) and (9) are in a cribbage club at school. It's cool seeing all the neatly designed boards at different camps and cabins.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:29 AM

A lot of the older Germans here play sheephead no idea how to play it never seen it played
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by deerfly
Most everyone in my family plays as well, I do not. My daughter's, (11) and (9) are in a cribbage club at school. It's cool seeing all the neatly designed boards at different camps and cabins.

I wonder what makes us the odd ducks out in the families

I blame too much to do outside to want to sit still at a table an play in the overheated house at holidays when most people in the family learned by the time I was old enough to slow down a bit I was chasing my own kids around.
Posted By: Cheever

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:39 AM

played low cribbage too.Then watch all 4's,5's and 6's show up.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
yes and played every morning at the lake with the kids growing up.
When the daughter went into Grade one she asked if anyone could count, after several kids tried after about 12 they were muffled, no problem my daughter went up to 31 and the teacher stopped her. Then she asked if they could count by two's, and waiting for the others she had a roll;
15-2
15-4
15-6
15-8
15-10
and a bushel !
Muffled the teacher asked.."a Bushel "
yup just like buns you buy 12
The light came on when the teacher asked ? Cribbage, and I have skunked my dad many times
and with those Math skills she went on to be a land surveyor

Dam right…card games are an intricate building block on social and emotional skills that need to happen at the adolescent level!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:50 AM

Ha!
An ol buddy used to call 12 “a shmoot”
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 01:36 AM

15 - 2, 4, 6, 8 .... 2's 10 and 2's 12
Posted By: 4TATER

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 01:51 AM

Lots of Cribbage played in our house. Kids learned the game early. Great game!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:00 AM

Crib was played a lot by my Aunts and Uncles and parents at family gatherings. I played it a couple times as a teenager, but never got into it.
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:09 AM

Play alot in the summer with my dad and brother when my parents travel up from Arizona and stay in their camper. I learned as a young teenager and took years to fully get it

Euchre is king in my area, to me that game can make 6 hours feel like 2
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:13 AM

I enjoy the game. Cribbage has been played in our family for as long as I can remember. At our family reunion, we have a tournament with a traveling trophy.
Posted By: Cattrapper77

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:30 AM

Never played cribbage, We played spoons sometimes things would get pretty wild.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:51 AM

Spades for 4 ppl and 3-13 for 2,3, or 5!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 03:07 AM

Rook
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 03:37 AM

Yep. I used to survey and we did a lot of out of town work. Played either cribbage or nickel ante poker most nights sitting at the motel. My family never played crib but the wife does. My parents had a friend from PA and growing up we went to his house most Sundays after church and they aoften ended up with a game of 31. Never knew anybody else out west who knew how to play, but all them boys from PA played 31.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 03:48 AM

Cribbage is popular here as is euchre, and sheep head. I play all but sheep head and cribbage the most. Gotta love thos 19 point hands. lol

Bryce
Posted By: Osky

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 04:01 AM

I play, my 3 sons have played since an early age.
I’ve spent dozens of winters shooting coyotes for Ranchers from above the Hi Line down to Eagle Pass Texas, farther country west and too many places in between to remember. I cannot remember a single ranch/livestock operation where a crib board didn’t come out.
From the sitting rooms of incredibly wealthy oil money ranches to line trailers in places God couldn’t even find on a map I’ve played the game. Some of the utensils used for pegs cannot be spoken of in proper company. Some of the decks we used were past there prime we’ll say and leave it at that.
I’ve played with all sorts of folks and for all sorts of wagers. I’ve beat some, lost a fair amount, and can happily say I’d sit down to a game with any of those folks again.

Osky
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 05:59 AM

Larry DiLulo (Pacific H&F, Thunder Mountain) used to play at the NAFA sales in Toronto. Good way to kill time while we waited for our species to come up for auction. Made the time go faster than just watching raccoon sell.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 06:17 AM

I played it a lot when I was in the military.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 06:20 AM

I grew up playing Cribbage and Pinochle . Every cousin knew both games too.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 10:15 AM

We play here in NH.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 11:22 AM

I play cribbage and love the game have played since 1971. While in the Navy serving on two destroyers in SE Asia. Learned how to count cards/points really fast.
Anyway, I love the game and I believe it's a great game to teach kids fundamental math skills too.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 11:44 AM

Played criibage in a bar league in the UP back in the 70s. Played it with a sick old timer a few years ago before he passed. He could still count em quick.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
I grew up playing Cribbage and Pinochle . Every cousin knew both games too.

I also grew up playing cribbage and pinochle. My German grandparents and my mom and Dad would stay up late night on weekends playing cribbage and speaking in German. Drinking beer and pizza with anchovies was always on the menu too.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 12:17 PM

Cribbage and ice shacks common components in MN.
Posted By: Randy Shuff

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 01:44 PM

I spent a lot of time in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. We played dominoes.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 01:53 PM

Never played it or even seen it being played. I don't think I even know anyone that's played it.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 02:47 PM

Some older neighbors of ours tried teaching me, we had to switch to Hearts, they said I wasn’t smart enough. I couldn’t argue that.
Posted By: K52

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Shuff
I spent a lot of time in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. We played dominoes.

Dad was retired Navy, I learned cribbage at a very young age. Wife and I play a game about every night in the winter.

In our small town we used to have a pool hall that had 6 or eight domino tables. Those tables had a black square like a small black board on your right hand corner to mark your score with chalk.. An X was 10 points and / was five , fifty points in a row and the game was 200. These were usually partner games, two men on a team. I've seen a lot of money change hands on those games. On a rainy day a lot of the farmers came to town and those domino tables would be full with guys waiting to play. My cousin from Michigan was visiting and took him there on a rainy day. He couldn't believe what he saw, talked about it years afterwards. LOL.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 05:28 PM

Have wanted to learn how to help lay for years

Yahtzee is our game
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 06:07 PM

Card games including Cribbage was a mainstay for family weekend visits.
Pre TV days.
I think I was 7/8 before the first TV came into are home on the farm.
One of my uncles had a TV.
We would visit every Saturday afternoon and Play Cribbage , eat popcorn and watch one of the two channels available until off air.
I have never had a 29 hand, easily 60 yrs now and play as much as possible.
Pegging is the real skill. 2 man and 4 man games are totally different strategies.
Actually had a Board in my hand this morning at the local thrift store.
Posted By: white17

Re: Cribbage - 11/27/23 06:13 PM

Started playing crib with my dad when I was about 5 I guess. But at family gatherings the game was always Bridge. I stuck with that and find it far superior to any other game. Hard to find four people that can play though.
Haven't played crib in decades. Good game though
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Cribbage - 11/29/23 03:01 AM

Made this from a shed found vacationing. Brass pegs store in covered hole in antler end. Saw one like it as a kid.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Cribbage - 11/29/23 03:12 AM

I can't believe none of you all ever play pitch. That's what we play here, or pinochle in the olden days, but no one knows how to play it now. I do play it on my phone occasionally though.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Cribbage - 11/29/23 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I can't believe none of you all ever play pitch. That's what we play here, or pinochle in the olden days, but no one knows how to play it now. I do play it on my phone occasionally though.

Nevah heard of Pitch.

But a great card game that is local to Northern Mass ...and Southern NH .....is the game called “ 45’s “ .

Hard to learn....but very rewarding
Posted By: Posco

Re: Cribbage - 11/29/23 03:47 AM

It was a popular thing in the hunting camps here back in the day.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums