Home

Anybody built a squirrel house?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 03:42 PM

I know alot of guys hate squirrels but I like the little buggers. I've read that squirrels actually prefer manmade houses over dens or nests.
Just wondering if anybody has built some and what design they are. Also wondering why they recommend screen in the bottom instead of solid.
These are fox squirrels.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 03:43 PM

Make sure the entrance is big enough to hold a 110. grin
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 03:50 PM

LOL, DNR put HUNDREDS up, made out of tires, many decades ago.
Bias ply whitewalls...
Still see them.from.time to time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 04:08 PM

squirrels must be unionized now,,,,,when I was a kid in Nebraska, They had to build their own homes....
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke
squirrels must be unionized now,,,,,when I was a kid in Nebraska, They had to build their own homes....

grin
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 04:21 PM

I still have a bat house to build, lol.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 04:32 PM

Just poke a hole in your eve they will come, follow me for more wildlife rehoming tips. wink
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Just poke a hole in your eve they will come, follow me for more wildlife rehoming tips. wink

laugh
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 06:24 PM

I have a hard time keeping the red squirrels out of by wood duck boxes.

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
Originally Posted by Law Dog

laugh

yeah sure that's what to do...LOL
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/23/23 11:41 PM

I would think something about the size of a wood duck house maybe a little smaller, but have a small hole in it so birds don’t use it if it needs to be bigger the squirrels will make it bigger.
Posted By: Salthunter

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 01:55 AM

Are you wanting a fancy house,, or just functional?
I ve been building two-level houses.
The upper hole faces out the "front away from the tree.
A hole between the two levels
The a hole out the bottom; against the tree.
I help the squrrils out and put in a few leaves in the top part. my Minnesota squirrels houses had 4 litters per year.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 02:10 AM

I spent 3 weeks in MO watching the squirrels making a bunch of racket in the woods it was hilarious watching the players fighting over one of thousands of acorns. Then the never ending “your in my area” so the chase was on chattering all the way. No shortage of the critters in my area it was nothing to see 5-6 in a small area.

I did watch one squirrel hide an acorn in a log pile the another one with white marking showed up a short time later and found it and ate it on the spot it was a circus.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 03:49 AM

I like the tire house idea for material availability and durability any plans? Have built several for friends that wish to favor the squirrels one thing they really like is a two chamber or protected entrance design for weather protection.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 05:01 AM

Here is a video of how to make one out of a tire.

Posted By: jalstat

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 10:13 AM

Got several den trees on my house place and won’t ever cut one down, we have a deal I won’t destroy their home and they don’t destroy mine lol

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 11:10 AM

cool video, with tire would like to see plans for the wood one?

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Salthunter
Are you wanting a fancy house,, or just functional?
I ve been building two-level houses.
The upper hole faces out the "front away from the tree.
A hole between the two levels
The a hole out the bottom; against the tree.
I help the squrrils out and put in a few leaves in the top part. my Minnesota squirrels houses had 4 litters per year.

Do you have a picture? materials?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 01:20 PM

the best is to have the hole towards the trees side and not the front when doing this

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 01:47 PM

how many squirrel dreys are in the area to begin with ?
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 02:09 PM

Do the red squirrels dominate the houses or do the others have a chance at them?
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 02:20 PM

I’ve made my share of squirrel dens/nest boxes over the past 15 years. I use durable wood like cypress or cedar with stainless steel screws. I build mine sort of like a wood duck box, except my squirrel dens have a smaller hole and a small ledge under the entrance. I build them with one side board fastened with 3 screws instead of 4. (2) on top and (1) towards the bottom. This allows me to remove the lower screw/nail so that I can swing the side door open for cleaning and attachment to a tree. I drive screws/lags through a side board, not a backboard.

I use a 3” hole for gray/fox squirrels, and I cut the entrance hole off center, angled towards the tree trunk. I also attach a small ledge under the entrance for added ease of use for them. I generally cut the corners of the floor to allow drainage, but holes can be drilled or wire mesh used.

I really like the recycled tire dens posted. Built right, they should last a lifetime and be another good use for used tires.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I know alot of guys hate squirrels but I like the little buggers. I've read that squirrels actually prefer manmade houses over dens or nests.
Just wondering if anybody has built some and what design they are. Also wondering why they recommend screen in the bottom instead of solid.
These are fox squirrels.

They probably recommend wire so that the floor can drain. Leaves, grass, and other nesting material holding moisture can cause problems for a solid wood floor. If you want to use a wood floor, I’d recommend using one of the more rot resistant types like cypress/cedar/etc with plenty drainage holes or you could also put several coats of sealant/paint to protect it. I wouldn’t use plywood for a squirrel den, especially the floor. Another option would be to clean out/dry out the den every couple years.

Designs I like for squirrel nest boxes are simple. 4 sides, a roof overhang, a floor, and small ledge under the entrance. No small doors, attachment blocks, hinges, or anything else that won’t help make a longer lasting den. I only use lumber and stainless screws, no other hardware.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Drakej
I like the tire house idea for material availability and durability any plans? Have built several for friends that wish to favor the squirrels one thing they really like is a two chamber or protected entrance design for weather protection.

I would think the black tire would draw a lot of heat from the sun, especially in the spring with the babies inside. I have 4 natural nests that I know of around the yard and all the holes face to the South. It is common to see a squirrel with it's head out facing the sun during a nice Spring day.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 05:08 PM

The squirrel triplex is the tree rat favorite.

Attached picture IMG_2836.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2837.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2838.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2839.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2840.jpeg
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/24/23 07:51 PM

I've built several hundred owl nest boxes over the years. In years that the owls didn't use them, the red squirrels and the flying squirrels used them for nesting, and, in the winter, they used them for caching mushrooms. 12 X 12 X 24". As Aix said, use dimensional cedar or redwood, not plywood or OSB; squirrels like the glue.

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/25/23 12:01 PM

thanks guys I'm going to make some!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/25/23 04:43 PM

I've found that when putting up firewood, and I find a hollow log/limb, when cut to about a 1 ft length and cap the ends, they make an excellent squirrel house and they love it.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/25/23 07:04 PM

As bad as squirls chew up my plywood bee swarm traps I would not use plywood. It seems like they like the tast of the glue or something.

Now that you reminded me of that I need to rember to take the boys squirrel hunting on the farm this year.

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/25/23 11:50 PM

so 1-1/2 inch hole? or bigger?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/27/23 05:49 PM

LOL. don't matter, they'll "customize" it pretty quick!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/27/23 06:00 PM

You can buy squirrel houses ready made ...........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/27/23 07:23 PM

A 2" pvc 90(fit into a 2 1/3/8" hole pointing down) makes a nice weatherproof entrance if you build a single cavity house.

Re: Anybody built a squirrel house? - 11/28/23 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Do the red squirrels dominate the houses or do the others have a chance at them?

best way when you have a red squirrel problem ( at bird feeders) when a male red sq. takes over the whole yard, unfortunately they usually only live for 3 years and the fights start back up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums