Home

Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee

Posted By: slydogx

Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 03:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Had this guy on camera three years ago and decided he would be my target. After passing up shots at dozens of squirrels and many interminable minutes s on stand it finally came together.
The cat and mouse game started at the crack of noon... Squirrel were barking all around me (it is the height of the roar after all) when I heard one that was unquestionably Ol' Brushytail over my head to the right.
My Savage 64 let loose with a mighty crack and this monarch of the treetops was mine.
I'll chronicle the whole ordeal on YouTube so like and subscribe as it really helps the channel.
Big shoutout to Primos, Mossy Oak, Realtree, Squirrel Commander, PSI archery, Bass Pro and all my others sponsors.
And just a reminder that I am pro staff for several companies also, so please express suitable admiration and jealousy in the comments.

I'd like to thank God and my family...but mostly I would like to thank #savell for the inspiration and courage to chase my dreams
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 05:10 PM

Pretty squirrel.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 05:13 PM

Good write up,got a good chuckle,
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 08:12 PM

that's a nice one,
Posted By: ZAC

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 08:41 PM

Have you had him scored yet?

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/18/23 08:50 PM

He green scored at 6
Posted By: Savell

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/19/23 11:49 PM

Good shootin partner
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/19/23 11:53 PM

Shoulda let him go another year.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 12:15 AM

Did you have to track him far?
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 12:18 AM

He sure looks prime. Mepps should pay top dollar for that tail.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 12:23 AM

Granny ain't gonna be too happy about the shot placement. Well, my Granny anyways. smile
I sure do miss the thump those hosses make when they meet the forest floor from far above. We don't have those around here. Just dinky grays.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:22 AM

mb coonguy wants 99 of his brothers

Granny would be made because there are no brains left for tanning
Posted By: 160user

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:24 AM

He looks lame in the right front quarter. He was probably on the downhill slide.
Posted By: bleeohio

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:30 AM

Prolly still worth more than anything i've trapped this season...

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:19 PM

Going to have him mounted on a Nelson frame pack.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:24 PM

I seen enough squirrels in MO in a day to last me a lifetime. It seems like 5 are fighting over the same acorn endlessly. I watch one hide it then another comes by and finds it then eats it no honor among tree rats. LOL

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I seen enough squirrels in MO in a day to last me a lifetime. It seems like 5 are fighting over the same acorn endlessly. I watch one hide it then another comes by and finds it then eats it no honor among tree rats. LOL

My "You wouldn't believe it unless you'd seen it.." squirrel story:

Several years ago, I was driving to night school classes after work. The route took me through mostly rural area, with a few very small towns along the route. As I was driving through a small village, there were 3 or 4 male squirrels chasing a single female squirrel attempting to breed her. They were running between a few small trees on either side of the road and it was quite the chase.
As I arrived at school, they announced classes cancelled (I don't remember why) so I headed back. On my way back through the village, I saw that the female had been hit and killed by a car... and one of the males was enthusiastically making a baby... I don't know if he didn't realize she was dead or what LOL but I had trouble sleeping for a few days after that one and I never looked at squirrels the same.
Posted By: Skunkedtrapper

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 02:56 PM

How many more squirrel species do you need to get the grand slam?

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 03:13 PM

We only have gray squirrels here... but we have multiple color phases and all phases are common. My unscientific list of these includes:

1. Normal (like the one in the picture) - I believe this is the natural coloration of these squirrels and is actually the least common color morph around me
2. Melanistic (all black) - Most common here, entirely jet black. I will hopefully get a few of these next weekend
3. Gray - silvery gray, no brown. A more "clean" gray than the one in the pic. Second most common morph around me, but mostly found in suburbs/city.
4. Albino - I see lots of these in town where they can't be taken. I don't think they last long in rural areas as our bird of prey populations are famously high. Birders travel here from all over because of the scale of the raptor migration each year.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 03:32 PM

Awesome tale er tail
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 03:54 PM

Did you catch him or let him bruise when hitting the ground? I carry a softball glove when squirrel hunting. Catch them like pop ups or shoot them on the ground. NOW if fox squirrels I let them bounce. Auto tenderizer.....
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 04:44 PM

The gray squirrels in IL are twice the size of the MO ones the UP ones were bigger also must be the generics.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Finally got ol' Brushytail McGee - 11/20/23 11:22 PM

Didn’t Go 20
© 2024 Trapperman Forums