Home

Trapperman Beaver Contest

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/16/23 08:49 PM

Thanks for the imputs on the thread "Top Beaver Trapper Contest". I mulled over some of your ideas and this is what I've come up with:

The Contest:

Open to all Trapperman members. The contest beginning date was whenever beaver season opened in your state or province and will go until May 15th, 2024. States that have year round seasons will have October 15th as your official starting date.

The prize is the winner's choice of either a belt buckle or plaque with an "official stickman drawing" holding a beaver. Please see exhibit A following this post.

Rules:

1. All beaver to be considered in the contest were caught during open season in your state or province.
2. If you trap with an active partner who participates in the trapping the catch must be divided by two. Fur shed help is OK.
3. All beaver to be included in the contest must eventually be skinned. No ADC beaver unless they ended up getting skinned and the fur utilized. Doesn't have to be by the trapper who caught them
that does the skinning.
4. The honor system will be in place for reporting. If you would like to share auxiliary info like pics of receipts or catch pics that is encouraged but not a requirement.
5. YOU NEED TO DECLARE YOURSELF A CONTESTANT NO LATER THAN DEC 15th 2023
6. Beginning on December 15th 2023 every entrant will report catch totals up to that date and every 15th of the month following until May 15th, 2024

Happy hunting and good luck to all! Anything that you're unclear about go ahead and give me a shout and we'll get it figured out. BTW, I will pay for the buckle or plaque but if the spirit drives anybody to sweeten the pot that would be great. I was going to add a cash incentive (to winner's state association) but the extra expense of possibly doing a belt buckle made me back off.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/16/23 08:50 PM

Exhibit A

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/16/23 09:10 PM

So, based on how many are caught total in said time?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/16/23 11:12 PM

Yes. The winner is he/she who caught the most beaver.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/17/23 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Yes. The winner is he/she who caught the most beaver.

OK, thanks.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/17/23 10:44 AM

sounds good

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/17/23 05:06 PM

Perhaps one of the Trapperman site custodians could keep this up at the top. If it turns out there is not much interest then by Dec 15th we'll just forget about it.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/18/23 03:34 AM

ttt
Posted By: James

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/18/23 03:41 AM

I understand your putting faith in the honor of entrants, but the existence of Johnny Sneakum and his pals suggest that may be naive.

I did my master's thesis on psychopaths (sociopaths). There are a lot more than most people realize--one in twenty-five people in the US, according to some estimates.

Most sociopaths don't kill people. But they might, if there was gain for them and think there's no chance they'll be caught. Most will do anything they think they can get away with, and not necessarily for gain. Many get pleasure out of fooling other people. The prize can be worthless, and they'll still cheat for their own amusement.

I think most trap and fur thieves are probably sociopaths. When I was eighteen, I had a trap thief I caught point a shotgun at me and threaten to shoot me. I looked in his eyes and had no doubt he'd pull the trigger if I didn't back away and forget the trap. I forgot the trap.

With all the members on this forum, some are bound to be sociopaths. (I have my own ideas about that.) I admire you for holding the contest, but you may want to look for ideas on how to verify weights.

Jim

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/18/23 03:46 AM

If nothing else, my post above may be controversial enough to keep this thread near the top.

Jim

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/18/23 03:55 AM

Hi James, thanks for weighing in. I have been involved in coyote calling contests where there was quite a bit of effort made to insure compliance of tournament rules.

This contest (if it does indeed take place), is nothing more than a friendly competition between good beaver trappers. To be clear it's not based on weights, just total numbers.

Even if I wanted to there would be no way to do this without going the route of "honor system".

And finally, my bet is most beaver trappers are honorable...if perhaps not the brightest. LOL

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/18/23 10:29 PM

I know what you mean. My IQ dropped forty points when I was beaver trapping.

Jim
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 01:04 AM

I’m in!!!

Not sure I will win, but I will keep BeaverPeeler motivated at least!
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 01:10 AM

I'm out , our is a lottery draw and only allowed a total of 8.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 04:22 AM

Need five more to declare they're on board by December 15th for the contest to go forward.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 04:35 AM

Need five more to declare they're on board by December 15th for the contest to go forward.
I'm in even though Mike Kelly has likely caught 10 times what I will all year already. Just got to make sure this contest goes on. Come on guys sign up it will be fun just for the pics
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 12:53 PM

Iam up to 5!! Thats like 500 if I was younger!
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 01:16 PM

No chance of being in contention but scored 2 in 3 days so far with only 2 cage traps out

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 04:34 PM

How they looking fur-wise Jingles? West or east side?
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 04:49 PM

Im wondering if there will still be a beaver tail contest? This one sounds like fun to watch, but the vast majority of beaver trappers on this site won’t even have a shot at winning because most don’t bring in huge numbers.

One thing I really like about the tail contest is that it has random winners who have a chance just by entering the contest. That is why I donated to it last year, and will again this year if it happens.

Not saying this contest does not look like fun, but I really like the wide appeal and chance for anyone who participates to win something. I also enjoy the “spoof” entries - it’s nice when there can be friendly competition with lighthearted, fun oriented aspects.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 05:08 PM

Agree with all you say Loose!
Posted By: GoGitter

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 06:13 PM

I would like to enter, but I've never posted a pic on the computer. Can someone explain how to post a picture?
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 06:26 PM

How bout the winner has to donate a dollar per beaver to the trapperman fund?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 07:44 PM

Nope. Winners are rewarded, not punished. That said I’m open to anybody sweetening the pot however they see fit. If that’s money earmarked in the winners name for any of our causes that would be great.
Posted By: Cheever

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 08:43 PM

[Linked Image]
Put out two 330's last week.Caught 3 this was the biggest. Been over 20 years scince I set for them. first picture post too.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 09:48 PM

How they looking fur-wise Jingles? West or east side?

East side at about 4500 ft and IMO looking pretty good

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 11/22/23 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
How bout the winner has to donate a dollar per beaver to the trapperman fund?

As stated earlier I have no chance of even being a contender but I'll donate a buck apiece for each one I end up with.
Posted By: Musty

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 03:03 PM

How's it going out there? Anyone got a big pile of beaver yet?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Musty
How's it going out there? Anyone got a big pile of beaver yet?

Lakes just starting to freeze up here and this ole dog ain't getting on less than 3 inches of ice when 12 miles from the truck yea call me a woose, but Cold weather survival training in Dec in Bridgeport was enough of a lesson
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 03:36 PM

Yeah I have a limit in my wmu of 5 so I'm out like the idea though

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 04:06 PM

10 more days to sign up. Need a few more people for this to go forward.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 04:22 PM

Heck, I'll sign up just to keep this moving. I love seeing you guys wack and stack em'
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 04:28 PM

Sign me up !!!!!!

I'm going to beat BOCO like a rented mule !!!! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Sign me up !!!!!!

I'm going to beat BOCO like a rented mule !!!! laugh

walleyed

I'll let you win if it makes you feel good.
Posted By: swamp

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 05:07 PM

I hope this is a go, fun to follow along and it has already had me laughing. Most on here catch more in a day than I do in a season. Got 6 so far. Good luck to all !
Posted By: calstefanko

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/05/23 05:28 PM

Count me in though I don’t have hardly any beaver where I’m at, if I’m hunting at our camp in the UP I have easier access to beaver and a lot more of them, I have 3 so far and probably won’t go far up from there but who knows

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 02:32 AM

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up to be a part of this. Also Dec 15th is first report in on how many you got so far. If you don't report your numbers within one week of the 15th of every month (until contest end May 15th) you're out of the running.

Have fun!
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 02:44 AM

Count me in. I've got 5 so far.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 04:14 AM

‘Peeler put 20 in the boat today. Hope he don’t mind me stealing his thunder!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by newhouse114
‘Peeler put 20 in the boat today. Hope he don’t mind me stealing his thunder!

Dents?
Posted By: CDNLongline

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 05:32 AM

I am in - why not
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 07:19 AM

This contest should be divided into two categories. One for women, kids and open water beaver trappers, and another for under ice beaver trappers. smile

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 08:11 AM

It's 3:10AM on December 15th, 2023 and walleyed reports
zero (0) beaver trapped so far.

Hope to get a few before It freezes up.,

w

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 02:43 PM

27 beaver caught. All in cage traps.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 05:29 PM

Caught No. 7 today, that may be a record for me.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 10:31 PM

Okay -- Iwill play -- 1 so far. hopefully I will get todo some trapping soon.
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/15/23 11:06 PM

I'll join in, no idea how I missed this thread.
I'll let you know the tally on the 15th of May wink
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 12:30 AM

Sure, I guess I’ll jump in. Season here is Oct1 to May 31

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Northernbeaver

Contest rules require updates on your totals starting Dec 15th and every 15th of the month until May 15th, the finale.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 01:18 AM

Ok, I’m also officially in the contest as well.

44 so far including these 35 caught in the last two days:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ack

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 02:31 AM

I'll enter but where I'm heading I was told there is little to no cell service. Not sure if I'll be able to update.
Our season doesn't start until Dec 26th.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 02:48 AM

Ack, you're granted as long a grace period as you need. For the rest of us one week is all you get for a grace period unless you have special circumstances like Ack.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 04:27 AM

Count me in. My count is 51 so far.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 11:20 AM

I am high grade trapper lol: only got 3 and all XXL dried at over 65" and will grade HVY where all recent under the ice. Perfect put up with no knife damage and frost drying James Bay Cree style for high end pricing. Catch 'em for a meal ourselves and sell rest at $4/lb* to limited market. Gonna be like $150+ Can. average all in. So I am entering the best average category lol.

Got lots of other bait for the meat eater furbearers. Maybe get a few more under the ice later when one of my boys comes home for Christmas. You get past 3 score and ten and you appreciate the help.

* Used to give that stuff away back in the day but these day people got tons of money to spent on other stuff so they can buy beaver carcass same price as pork legs I figure. Includes heads and tails and hind feet all old time traditional stuff.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 12:03 PM

You can frost scrape there already? Looks like it’s gonna be kinda warm here for the next week or 2, but you know how the forecast works.
Highest average is a good idea, you’re crushing it with those big 3. Highest & lowest dollar award too….but I guess it gets outta hand for one guy to organize..lol

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 12:49 PM

No frost scrape here yet Jake although have done it in the past. What am doing is frost drying.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Northernbeaver

Contest rules require updates on your totals starting Dec 15th and every 15th of the month until May 15th, the finale.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 01:05 PM

I'm guessing you got enough participates so I'm looking forth to the pictures and such on this thread.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 01:54 PM

49 is my tally so far by the rules (96 with a trapping partner, 2 with my son). Probably not going to change much until March or later.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/16/23 03:50 PM

Looking good guys. I'll wait for a week and at the end of the grace period post contestants in order of high to low on their beaver catch.

PS: If you can include a pic or two when you report that will make it all that more interesting for the rest of us. Also any relevant info on how you catch them, what lures, etc would surely be of interest to the rest of us.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 12:18 PM

wtg guys,

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 12:44 PM

Got a dozen here (2 over 74”) and 4 kits that I tanned. Wife’s gonna try to make something out of them, small fur hats? Hoping for another 15-20 over winter, and spring can always be a gong show!…lol
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 01:53 PM

Have 126 so far , about 2/3 under ice catches. Conditions have been very favourable here… mild with mainly clear ice . Quality really coming along over past couple weeks. Taking a breather for Xmas.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 01:58 PM

Really need to figure out how to post pictures! Season here technically Oct 1 - May 15 . Drought starting to affect wetlands, but still plenty of beaver, but muskrat population noticeably dropping for a couple years now

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 02:02 PM

Nice! Should be some good prime stuff!
Pics are real easy on this site. I use a tablet for most of my stuff. Just click this, choose file and it kinda guides you through…
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 02:06 PM

Only one so far here.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/17/23 04:08 PM

Like Flounder on Animal House said: "Oh boy this is gonna be great!"

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:03 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:05 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:06 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:09 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:23 AM

Gotta love that early clear ice.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 05:37 AM

Great pics CDN! What you have to do to get them flat tails home is sure different than what I deal with.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 12:14 PM

We had conditions like that here for a little bit, but the one smaller bank den looked like this…
[Linked Image]
Frigging bubbles everywhere. Someone trapped here this fall so may not be much left, thinking only a couple beaver set up here over summer.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 02:06 PM

.got one yesterday little kit season just opened Dec 16th
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/20/23 04:19 PM

I caught #45 and #46 today.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/21/23 10:00 PM

I have nothing set for a bit of xmas break. That said, the fur handling still needs to be caught up! Getting what I can ready for first FHA Sale.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 06:18 AM

Hey CDN, how many per day can you get on the boards? Last spring I put up 90 in a week and just about wore myself out! LOL

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 12:45 PM

90! That’s 45 boards! I could buy another snowmobile for that amount of lumber..hahaha
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shakeyjake
90! That’s 45 boards! I could buy another snowmobile for that amount of lumber..hahaha

About $1200 in 3/4" poplar plywood.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 01:53 PM

That’s pretty impressive Peeler! I am almost always skinning multiple species during season; and with Beaver for example will skin a bunch one night ; scrape the next and board a fret. Also freeze a lot of beaver, rat; coyote pelts and catch up later. Definitely have to purge freezers again over holidays. Have skinned up to 150 rats or 12 beaver in a night, but that’s after a days trapping - usually tired already when that starts. Tough on the body - but rewarding in many ways

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 01:58 PM

[Linked Image]

Castor pretty important to beaver economics
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CDNLongline
[Linked Image]

Huge

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shakeyjake

Nope. I got 30 boards, but with a dehumidifier I get them off the boards in about 3 days.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 05:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Nice set. Light colored, those should make "Western Select" grade. Do you spend any additional time getting that pinkish membrane off or just leave it?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/22/23 06:00 PM

Here is the first official contest update for Dec 15th:

1. Northernbeaver 151
2. CDNLongline 126
3. Dstone1992 51
4. Mike Kelly 49
5. trapinnia 46 *
6. Beaverpeeler 44
7. Musty 27
8. Shakeyjake 12
9. swamp 7
10. H20Rat 1 (tie)
10. MnJag 1 (tie)
11. Walleyed 0
12. ack 0

I think there were a few others that signed up but didn't report; so they're out.
* I don't see where "trapinnia" officially signed up but he did report a catch total...so I guess he's in if he wants to be.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 12:29 AM

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 01:17 AM

Brutal.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 01:18 AM

Enjoyed your video northern. Audio is not working on my laptop right now so it had to be a silent movie. Our trapping styles are necessarily very different, I never see lodges or dams where I trap and for that matter ice either. Most of the time my body grippers are basically just touching water; not submerged.
But I do around like you with a boat. The only way I know to get up good numbers.

Thanks for posting that!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 01:42 AM

Yes I had just cut these out while skinning, definitely clean up; yes Western Select. This set was 14 oz I think? Hit 16 oz only once

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 03:20 AM

66 headed out on the river for a 7 days I leave the day after Christmas.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
66 headed out on the river for a 7 days I leave the day after Christmas.

No need to update except for the 15th of each month with what your total is up to that date.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/23/23 03:52 AM

Yes I had just cut these out while skinning, definitely clean up; yes Western Select. This set was 14 oz I think? Hit 16 oz only once

I think that is right around the biggest I ever got as well 13-14 oz's fresh.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/24/23 01:23 PM

Well, Xmas break from trapping short lived ha. Taking visiting nephew (Ontario) and son out today. Getting some coyote baits going and a few beaver houses set up . Will share a few pictures later

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/28/23 01:51 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Spent most of day elk hunting and preparing coyote snare sites. Spectacular coyote population as they rebound with low prices. End of day picked up,3 nice beaver, plus set up another lodge. Visiting 18 y.o Nephew realized what a work out an ice chisel can be. Ha

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/28/23 01:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 12/28/23 03:56 PM

Thanks for sharing that video, really good stuff!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 12:13 AM

7 more so up to 19. Forgot to get a pic of the biggest tail for the other contest.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 02:47 AM

Can i get in lol?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 02:54 AM

Only 1 more for a total of 2 ----- lookout I am about to catch up -- not. I'm busy chasing high dollar nutes -- maybe a couple weeks I will look for some beaver.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 03:56 AM

Guys are jumping the gun for report dates, LOL. 15th of the month ...what your count is on that date.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 06:32 PM

Guys are jumping the gun for report dates, LOL. 15th of the month ...what your count is on that date.

I'm on call right now so updated a bit early just in case I forget.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/12/24 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Will give total on yhe 15th. Only trapped 4 day so far
Heading south soon.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/13/24 04:00 PM

Not Beaver trapping weather here - mind numbing -42 c this morning; ice is going to thicken considerably this week- good for snaring coyotes though

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/13/24 10:02 PM

Weather has been playing with me too. So far I've only managed 8 checks. Laid out a line yesterday but an ice storm descended upon us last night and can't leave the farm this morning. Dang Minnesota weather!

Nice pics Ack...they were worth waiting for!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/14/24 01:25 PM

Weather has been playing with me too. So far I've only managed 8 checks. Laid out a line yesterday but an ice storm descended upon us last night and can't leave the farm this morning. Dang Minnesota weather!

Nice pics Ack...they were worth waiting for!

All we had was cold and a wind, thought you lived in Oregon? Only one outage last night, Moose Lake. Almost hit Warroad before I realized I missed my turn….lol! Be a cold check today for the fellas going out.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/14/24 05:43 PM

2" of ice over everything right now. The arctic blast collided with a big moisture laden front coming off the Pacific. We were right in the crosshairs. Had to use an ax to break away the ice to get into my fur drying room this morning.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 03:46 PM

It's 10:41AM on Monday January 15th, 2024 & walleyed
is checking in with the beaver trapping contest to report
his current numbers.

Walleyed has the same numbers as Bluto's GPA in
National Lampoon's Movie: "Animal House" !!! laugh

0.00 !!! laugh

walleyed

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 04:03 PM

8:01 AM local time and Beaverpeeler reports 91 beaver up to this point. BTW, they're all stretched and dried. smile

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 04:21 PM

Still only 49 caught.

(But I have skinned ~511 so far this season...so I can stay ahead of Beaver Peeler in one category!)

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 04:59 PM

According to y calculations Mike skinned each beaver 10 times. Must get a little easier each time huh?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 06:13 PM

I trapped 4 days so far. Caught 26
Heading south in a week or so.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 09:11 PM

39 beaver caught. All in cage traps.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/15/24 10:45 PM

According to y calculations Mike skinned each beaver 10 times. Must get a little easier each time huh?

Just getting my practice in! (No beavers were skun twice)

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/16/24 02:54 AM

I'm still holding at 1.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/16/24 04:34 AM

Slightly up to 134 . On to Coyotes for Jan - under ice in February hopefully

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/16/24 04:44 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/16/24 04:56 AM

I'm at 94 with the partner deduction [Linked Image]
and done till March or the ice goes away.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/19/24 04:44 PM

Stuck on 7 and shoulder surgery on 1-23-24. I think I'm going to have to bow out. I really think I could have won this thing. grin Some very impressive catches !! Keep up the good work all !

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/24/24 05:48 PM

Jan 15th results:

1. Northernbeaver 155
2. CDNlongline 134
3. Dstone1992 94
4. Beaverpeeler 91
5. Mike Kelly 49
6. Musty 39
7. Ack 26
8. Shakey 19
9. Swamp 7
10. H2O 2
11. MnJag 1
12. Walleyed 0

* Didn't get a report from trappinia so I guess he's out.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/26/24 10:22 PM

Just do not have the beavers in my area of trapping.
Posted By: TRAPPER-ED

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 01/27/24 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Musty
39 beaver caught. All in cage traps.
i have never seen a beaver caught in a gage trap! i have trapped for 40 years, i Quess i never tried! have tried to catch a otter but no luck .
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/02/24 11:38 PM

Caged beaver from today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/11/24 12:43 PM

Posting early again cuz I’m off to Vegas shortly. 3 more to the list so total is 21.
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/12/24 04:04 AM

Going to the Super Bowl?

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/12/24 12:56 PM

No, we’re leaving this afternoon. I’d never pay that much for a sporting event. I’m humming & hawing over a $4600CAD semi guided caribou hunt right now. Smokin deal.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/14/24 05:20 PM

I 've been up caribou hunting 19 times Jake PM me for any advice if you plan to go

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/15/24 07:47 PM

Report day:

And Beaverpeeler is now at 180 beaver to lead the pack. Come on you slackers!

Once again grace period for reporting is one week. Will post results for Feb 15th then.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/15/24 10:01 PM

walleyed reports that his beaver catch total
still stands & remains at 0.00 with
no beaver captured and no attempts to trap one
so far this season.

I hope to get out after them if I am able before
NYS's April 7th end of the season.

w

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 12:20 AM

48 so far

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 03:25 AM

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 04:26 AM

6 today , just so that would be 140 now

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 04:30 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The beaver with 8 foot green log was sure fun getting though ice! Not ! Quite the lunch; caught returning to lodge

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 04:36 AM

That's the joy of trapping! Yesterday I had to use my pruners to prune enough of a hind foot off of one of the MB750 levers to get the setters in there. My hat is off to you guys that work the ice for beaver.

...and for that matter those that have to lug cages around!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 02/16/24 05:42 PM

I’ve skinned and put up more….but haven’t caught more!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/02/24 01:03 AM

Feb 15th standings:

1. Beaverpeeler 180
2. Northernbeaver 155
3. CDNlongline 140
4. Dstone 94
5. Musty 53
6. Mike Kelly 49
7. Ack 48
8. Shakeyjake 21
9. Swamp 7
10. H20 2
11. Mnjag 1
12. Walleyed 0

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/02/24 03:46 AM

I'm not in the contest but you and are about tied.

Mine are under ice, if I was in the contest that should be extra points lol.

You've got a good catch going Carl, but I'm putting my money on Mike at the end. Gotta pull for the home town trapper

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/02/24 06:09 AM

There are no doubt several on here that could have beat the field if they would have wanted to enter. But hey, it's all just good natured fun. My season ends in two weeks and i'll be looking on as the Minnesotan and Canadian boys get going on their spring hunts.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/02/24 11:25 AM

Feb 15th standings:

1. Beaverpeeler 180
2. Northernbeaver 155
3. CDNlongline 140
4. Dstone 94
5. Musty 53
6. Mike Kelly 49
7. Ack 48
8. Shakeyjake 21
9. Swamp 7
10. H20 2
11. Mnjag 1
12. Walleyed 0

Wow I never entered because I figured somewhere between 800 and 1500 would take it.I’m at 260 and shooting for 300.My best year I caught 89 but with this winters weather it’s been pretty gravy.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/02/24 10:23 PM

There you go! Whatcha get for being timid!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/03/24 06:15 PM

Both Mike Kelly and I have had multiple 500 beaver seasons, but right now I'll be happy if I hit 300.
Posted By: The Finlander

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/04/24 08:50 PM

very few have caught 500 by these rules. i mean alone, without a partner.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/04/24 09:54 PM

Every year I caught 500 I caught them myself but did have help in the fur shed. Rules for this contest are just catching them by yourself.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/14/24 10:30 PM

2 more brings me to 23…..Freeze isn’t supposed to be on the web or social media, work related.
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/15/24 07:54 AM

70 beaver for me so far. Two more weeks and I'll be done for the season.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/15/24 10:09 AM

As of today, March 15th, 2024 at 1:21PM
walleyed has caught nine (9) beaver !!! laugh

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/15/24 01:36 PM

Done for the year. Next year should be better good lord willing.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/15/24 02:04 PM

Had a blast this year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 12:03 AM

End of the season today. Finished the season with 301 trapped beaver. Weather made things challenging as I couldn’t get out as much as I wanted. A total of 27 trap checks with an average take of 11. My best day was 20, second best day 19 and third best was 17.

This pic is for my fellow contestants, wishing you luck!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 01:00 AM

Wow … impressive Beaver Peeler , great job! Not going to beat that ha, 143 now, waiting on breakup

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 01:43 AM

Lucky 77 now.

Open water trapping made an early appearance here. If anyone has any extra rain, send it our way as we’re going to need it to have enough water to set traps!!![Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 11:49 AM

Wow … impressive Beaver Peeler , great job! Not going to beat that ha, 143 now, waiting on breakup

Same here. But I won’t come close to 300…lol

Ditches are flowing but still lots of ice on the ponds. Ditches will be dry by the time the ice is off

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 03:54 PM

Set out one last time was hoping to catch 8-10 figured 4-5 but had my best day ever 19 to end up with 324.Have another zone I can trap but probably not much for numbers unless I travel and rack up expenses.Good luck guys and flood that market so I can take next year off lol.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/16/24 05:24 PM

Great job Mad!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/22/24 06:27 PM

March 15th standings:

No reports from Dstone, Swamp, H20, Mnjag, so they're out. I do have a report via PM from Northernbeaver so he's still good.

1. Beaverpeeler 301
2. Northernbeaver 155
3. CDNlongliner 143
4. Ack 77 (tie)
5. Mike Kelly 77 (tie)
6. Musty 70
7. Shakeyjake 23
8. Walleyed 9

Two more months to go so we'll see what the northern tier trappers can come up with on their spring hunts. Good luck!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/23/24 12:28 AM

54 days left of season left here. Less than 5 beavers a day to take the lead!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/29/24 03:28 PM

Waiting on breakup here ; winter hanging on- should be in business early next week - less than 6 weeks to make BP nervous! Ha
Got a little competitive with the Beaver poop picture 😂

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/29/24 05:52 PM

Just my way of wishing you "luck". The crappy kind! LOL
Posted By: Zacmied

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/31/24 12:14 AM

I am up to 12 so far. Only trapping the spring season and now have 14 traps out.
First spring beaver trapping I have ever done.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 03/31/24 12:33 AM

Go get em Zac

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/02/24 05:12 PM

Number 13 came today. Watched it get caught in a 330 right in front of me. Awesome experience.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/02/24 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zacmied
Number 13 came today. Watched it get caught in a 330 right in front of me. Awesome experience.

Same here. Checking empty sets and they were swimming around, within a few minutes of cracking that bottle of Dobbins wood chipper I had em. Figured I’d sit still and watch with my phone for a bit. Movement stopped within 40ish seconds. Couldn’t believe I got it on camera!
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/hmnng-v6SYs?[/video]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/05/24 04:10 PM

Got number 14 2 days ago on a drowner and had number 15 and 16 both on drowners this morning and number 17 in a 330!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/08/24 03:21 AM

Start of second spring here. Plenty of wind, some much needed rain, and just getting a line out.

#100 - 115 pictured for the contest for me.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/11/24 07:05 AM

They add up quick catching 3 at a time! Should give 2nd and 3rd place a run for their totals at the April 15th reporting deadline. I will still have a few more to catch up with BeaverPeeler!

[Linked Image]

67.8 lber, biggest of the season so far.
[Linked Image]

Tonight’s catch
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/12/24 01:15 AM

Well, I won’t be moving up to 6th after this weekend…lol.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/12/24 08:39 PM

Those look like some furry beaver there Mike. I like furry beavers!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 03:26 AM

Big calorie burn today ; but worth it. 16 Beaver ; 14 rats. Ice opening up; great quality (for now)

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 03:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 05:58 AM

Beaver crop circle.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 12:02 PM

Ended up with total of 7, and as stated early where do I send my donation to the fund? Please reply via PM

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 03:33 PM

How much does a one on a million beaver count for the contest???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/13/24 03:46 PM

Prehistoric saber tooth beaver! grin

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 04:16 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 04:19 AM

Here was my “special beaver” this winter . Little attitude I would say .. ha

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 11:27 AM

Haha! I had one like that the other day too! Weird.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 12:27 PM

I should have followed up BPs poop picture with this response,, ha
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 01:13 PM

[Linked Image]

last time I saw that it was a Conservative beaver giving a Ottawa salute

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 07:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah...love them beaver with attitude.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 08:21 PM

142 this week.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 10:44 PM

That's a nice load of beavers there.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/14/24 11:58 PM

Always a good sign when you make sure the spare tire is very accessible!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 04:28 AM

Very impressive/ Northern . Just got in after a full day with 25,beaver ., .6 rats . Will post a picture tomorrow. At 237 for season

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 12:10 PM

Our New York State beaver season ended on April 7th, 2024.

As of today, April 15th, 2024, my total beaver catch is nine (9)
beaver for the beaver trapping contest !!! laugh

walleyed

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 02:10 PM

Report day! Thanks Walleye for your participation in the contest.

And once again, Beaverpeeler finished the season March 15th leading the pack (for now) at 301.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 03:26 PM

Good morning BP. I am at 237 now. Thanks. Picture is at end of day yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 04:22 PM

23 plus 27 more by this morning gets me to 50. Finally got ole one toe from this fall this morning too.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/15/24 10:11 PM

71 beaver and I'm done for the year.
Good job to you guys still out Killin em.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/16/24 02:48 AM

11 tonight, brings my total up to 181

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/21/24 07:44 PM

85 more this week
382 for the season so far. Things slowed down bad. Might pull soon.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/21/24 11:48 PM

[quote=Northernbeaver]85 more this week
382 for the season so far.

Now that what I’m talkin bout good job.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/22/24 01:45 PM

Good job Northern. I will break into 300s hopefully by tomorrow. ALmost had a enough ha. Skinned 26 yesterday and fleshed a dozen. Look forward to sleep again 🤣

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/22/24 05:41 PM

Deeeeevil that's alotta beaver put up in a day!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/22/24 06:13 PM

OK, after the week grace period for reporting here is the official April 15th report: (Keep in mind that it is now April 22nd and these numbers are different now...the champion will be announced on May 15th).

1. Beaverpeeler 301
2. Northernbeaver 297
3. CDNLongline 237
4. Mike Kelly 181
5. Ack 77
6. Musty 71
7. Shakeyjake 50
8. Walleyed 9

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/22/24 06:14 PM

The Canadians have come out of hibernation it appears! LOL

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/23/24 12:35 AM

Im slowing down now. But this dam has been nutz! A few were taken late winter at the lodge but really hammered them when the ice was still on but the dam and creek had some open water.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
They just kept coming!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/25/24 05:57 PM

[Linked Image]

love this!!!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/25/24 06:36 PM

But does it pass the profanity filters? LOL

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/27/24 02:28 AM

I had a 6.5 lb interruption to my spring season. Our daughter decided to come a month early, and in the middle of the spring season!

[Linked Image]

Still catching a few, but with a lower than normal catch rate and a newborn…I don’t have a chance at taking the top spot now!!! All caught up on skinning for now, so here are a few recent pictures so far this spring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/27/24 08:14 AM

That's the best reason I've ever heard for taking time away from trapping. Congratulations to you and your wife

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/27/24 12:32 PM

[Linked Image]

A few days ago; evening check and next day combined. Good movement with wind dying down. Shipping fur to FHA today … over half the spring catch frozen for fall handling. Only so many hours

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/28/24 03:36 AM

Isn’t it too late for shipping, or shipping for next winters sale? I got a dozen in the freezer rough skinned to finish up next winter.
Got my biggest one this morning. 64lbs. Was in the channel with a dive log. Waters deeper in the pic from the rain last night.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/28/24 12:42 PM

Congratulations on the new baby Mike, hope her and mom are both doing well.
BP, they’re out to get you. Lol

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/28/24 04:44 PM

I think I've already done been "got". smile

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/28/24 07:10 PM

27 more and I pulled my line and time to put everything away.
I ended at 409 for the season. The goal was 500 but I didn't work hard enough, it's how it goes sometimes.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/29/24 02:16 PM

[Linked Image]

A few days ago; evening check and next day combined. Good movement with wind dying down. Shipping fur to FHA today … over half the spring catch frozen for fall handling. Only so many hours

Great catch CDN Longline-thats exactly how many I skinned yesterday afternoon! Good pull

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/29/24 05:23 PM

That sounds like a long day in the fur shed MB!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/30/24 02:00 AM

Not everybody clean skins lol.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 04/30/24 02:19 AM

Originally targeting 300 for season; but blew through those doors.. and now seeing 400 mark as quite doable. Might as well, not getting any younger 🤣💪🏻

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/01/24 02:10 PM

unreal I am pulling the plug this weekend-my combined seasons spring and fall at 267-2 more pulls this weekend and I am done-my arms and hands are killing me-time to get back to my real job and go fishing in my leisure time-had enough for one season. :)-still lots of work ahead of me to flesh everything out and tack them out before next fall-freezers are pretty full-good season you guys-nice to see some guys still have a great work ethic to get it done!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/02/24 01:16 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/02/24 01:17 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/02/24 12:19 PM

loving the late snow fall in your pics-nice country-interesting float design although I am not too sure how it works from the pics-I used floats this year alot and they worked well-bulky but good

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/02/24 01:01 PM

Yes , late spring snowstorm but really welcome as we need precipitation badly. Water levels declining for a few years now. Many rat/beaver areas dried up or on their way there. A few of my areas are surviving for now

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/02/24 11:52 PM

Action at every area this afternoon. I’ve got floats in culverts that are flowing. One trap missing. The willow it was tied off to is broken but the stand was still there, probably a bear. I’m sure some sets may be in danger of theft due to the guys looking for suckers. Aren’t they usually running soon?
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/04/24 03:17 AM

Loaded up the pallets again tonight for good measure. Broke 200 for the spring earlier this week, and need a few more to catch up with Beaver Peeler!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/04/24 05:48 AM

If the new kid helped remember to reduce your take by 50%. grin

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/06/24 03:10 AM

I broke my rule this spring…I don’t want to have to skin 20 in a night…and looks like I will have 21 to skin tomorrow night.

Winding it down here…should be done this week. Be fun to see what the final numbers come in at!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/06/24 02:17 PM

Good for you Mike! Looks like a good load! I did 27 again yesterday and 8 more today when I get home but I pulled everything now so I am finished-my arms and hands are will thank me.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/06/24 10:53 PM

Nice! Can your new Colorado handle that load?…lol

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/07/24 10:49 PM

If the new kid helped remember to reduce your take by 50%. grin

lol. What on a trapline is a 2 week old baby going to help with? Make sure my sleep deprivation and sleep interruption are at maximum possible levels???

Well I am currently tied with Beaver Peeler. Broke 250 for the spring, and have 301 according to rules of the competition now. And back to my normally scheduled less than 20 beaver catch today! But I have more traps to check, and a wife that said I am off the hook for kids for a day this weekend…so maybe I will go catch some more!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/08/24 12:49 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Shipping some of my beavers to FHA at Alberta trappers association on last receiving date. Beavers last few weeks skinned and frozen for a busy preseason handling extravaganza

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/08/24 12:55 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Came across this new beer - some good Canadian fur trading history on back, plus honouring present day trappers , and it tasted great too!

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/08/24 08:38 PM

That is amazing CDN! Would sure love to get my hands on some of that beer.

Re: Trapperman Beaver Contest - 05/09/24 12:34 AM

I thought the last receiving date was April 20?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums