Home

Deer are scarce This Season.

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:24 AM

1 Doe tonight is All that came through.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:48 AM

Don’t think they are moving much where I was hunting.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:50 AM

Been slow all week here. Last week some bucks came out chasing a bit. Tagged a healthy doe a couple days ago. Yesterday there was a young one 400rds from the stand in the field, all chewed up. Wolves had a meal. I hope they investigate the gut pile a couple miles away…lol.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:50 AM

They are moving great here in thick/ bedding cover.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:58 AM

This morning was my best movement 3 different bucks 2 bucks were in hot pursuit of the doe.The one buck was a really nice one.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:59 AM

Go to the deer. Move that stand to better, fresher sign...

Waiting for them to come to you is unproductive sometimes....especially if you've hunted same spot several times.

This time of year deer are always moving...just gotta find that spot...and keep looking for/setting up on the most recent sign...
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:59 AM

Nothing moving here 80 degrees . Does even gone nocturnal...
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:01 AM

Deer don’t quit moving, they just ain’t moving where you’re sitting. I think our mature bucks are with does right now. Lots of youngsters running around keeping does moving though.

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Nothing moving here 80 degrees . Does even gone nocturnal...

Yeah that slows most hunters down...
Posted By: snowy

Did you have any CWD or that EHD in your area? I read the other day those two have really hit deer herds in many states. Then a guy adds in a few bad wintahs it is noticeable. Deer numbers down here big time.

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Deer don’t quit moving, they just ain’t moving where you’re sitting. I think our mature bucks are with does right now. Lots of youngsters running around keeping does moving though.

This...yep^^^^
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:15 AM

In the WON I received today the 13 northern counties in WI have had a buck and anterless combined 20% drop in harvest to date. Could be a lot of reasons but 20% is a considerable drop. We will see how the numbers look at the end of the 9-day gun season.

Bryce
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:19 AM

Very slow here too. 72° lately and still standing corn. Very few rubs or scrapes too. Not much on game cameras neither.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:33 AM

Wolves gotta eat too.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:35 AM

To nice, still running trail cameras and most deer are moving after dark. Still getting a little movement during midday but most nocturnal.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:42 AM

330, you might have to have that pile of grand kids you've got, don the orange, and take a slow walk towards your stand. cool

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Very slow here too. 72° lately and still standing corn. Very few rubs or scrapes too. Not much on game cameras neither.

2 weeks to late for good scrape activity. Same with rubs.
My main scrapes go almost dead Nov 6th Every Year.
Oct 25th_ Nov 3rd is the time I'd wanna be sitting over a good/ annual scrape.
20 years of running trail cams don't lie.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:53 AM

Don't have a good east wind stand and unfortunately for me there has been an east wind much of opening week. Been slow for me too 330.
Posted By: James

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Wolves gotta eat too.

They don't have to eat if they're dead.

Jim
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 02:04 AM

Been seeing plenty here killed a couple does waiting for gun season Friday

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

2 weeks to late for good scrape activity. Same with rubs.
My main scrapes go almost dead Nov 6th Every Year.
Oct 25th_ Nov 3rd is the time I'd wanna be sitting over a good/ annual scrape.
20 years of running trail cams don't lie.

Dates for best scrape hunting at my south central GA property are very similar to your's B&B. Down here at home near Florida line...best scrape hunting is last week of Sept to about Oct 5th or so. I learned what little I know from cameras too.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 02:25 AM

I had doe under me this morning for over an hour. Kids have shot 9 and let a bunch walk and not hunted in 2 weeks. Now it's jus time to decide to cut them loose and slaughter the doe befor gun season this weekend and the neibors and their guest shoot everything that moves.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 02:42 AM

Asphalt must be the new greenfield folks around here are having alot of luck bagging them with their cars. I can't go a mile in any direction without one laying on the white line.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 03:10 AM

Deer hunting is tough here in KS. Went west a week and half ago. Really low deer numbers. Here in Central ks I've had cameras out since September. Mature buck numbers way down. I've only seen a couple of bucks on cameras in 2 1/2 months I'd consider shooting. Had EHD this year. Didn't think it got that many going into fall but now I'm thinking it got more than I was thinking. Out west we saw way lower buck to doe ratios than what we were use to. And around home the mature buck numbers seem very low compared to what we are use too. Had a couple of really nice bucks that we were getting on cameras regularly last year that made it through season but haven't seen this year. Maybe one of them in early September but can't be sure. I've about given up deer hunting until the late doe season unless things change on the cameras
Posted By: ksfowler166

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 04:10 AM

Monday we saw two bucks and at least three does perhaps more but that could have been seeing the same deer multiple times. What was weird was the first doe we saw which was by herself just walked out and laid down in the middle of the corn field. She eventually got up and walked off not seaming to be injured. No clue why.

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I had doe under me this morning for over an hour. Kids have shot 9 and let a bunch walk and not hunted in 2 weeks. Now it's jus time to decide to cut them loose and slaughter the doe befor gun season this weekend and the neibors and their guest shoot everything that moves.

Well woo hoo

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
330, you might have to have that pile of grand kids you've got, don the orange, and take a slow walk towards your stand. cool

They're not here now
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
In the WON I received today the 13 northern counties in WI have had a buck and anterless combined 20% drop in harvest to date. Could be a lot of reasons but 20% is a considerable drop. We will see how the numbers look at the end of the 9-day gun season.

Bryce

I took my Bobcat in yesterday to be mounted and the taxidermist said she believes a lot of 4-1/2 bucks did not make it through the spring. She’s not aging them as hunters come in and she’s an excellent bow hunter- she runs cameras the day after gun season and she said after January and February she was not seeing this years target bucks. It was a harsh winter and those breeder bucks went into it emancipated. I can’t tell what we’ve got going on- saw more deer during early October. Bucks are definitely cruising now and I believe not locked down anymore.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:01 PM

There was a pile of does & bucks on the cam this morning.

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shakeyjake
There was a pile of does & bucks on the cam this morning.

Not here in Minnesota though

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 01:23 PM

I have a cam on the lakeshore in my food plot in the last several months I’ve had 4 deer using that route it’s often tough to find fresh tracks. The days of seeing deer when driving around are gone it seems.

When driving around 2 summers ago during the afternoon and evening hours doing the Ranger/Warden thing I did not see many deer in those 4 months but did see turkeys about everyday.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Asphalt must be the new greenfield folks around here are having alot of luck bagging them with their cars. I can't go a mile in any direction without one laying on the white line.

Appears so. Last week put on thru my truck grill. Got one this morning with my rear tire. They're no match for the ram cummins

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Norwestalta
Originally Posted by warrior

Appears so. Last week put on thru my truck grill. Got one this morning with my rear tire. They're no match for the ram cummins

Never good

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 06:32 PM

I talked with a neighbor down the lake today he said we had another die off this year it was the first I knew of it. I thought that cycled every so many years not year after year time and time again.
Posted By: run

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 06:55 PM

Still have lots of deer here.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

This...yep^^^^

X2

When I first started, it was raining one day and grandpa asked me why I wasn't out hunting?

I replied because I didn't think they'd come out in this weather. He asked me, "come out from where?"

He then to!f me that they don't crawl down a ground hog hole when the weather's bad, ya gotta go "hunting" them.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 07:42 PM

I think between the warm weather and the full moon has most critters hanging tight. Very little activity on my trap line as well.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 07:50 PM

Seen two bucks from the stand one was chasing a doe the other one bigger buck had his nose to the ground looking for a doe.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 08:32 PM

Saw a big boy riding through and he’s on lock down with a doe. They were right there within 50yds or so on my way back out. Ain’t sneaking in on him with a bow and ain’t getting close enough with a climber. I’ll wait until they done and see if he shows back up on camera. Yeah, a rifle from a hundred yards away or even the truck window would work, but then every time I look on the wall I’d remember how I took him.
He’s better off sowing his oats and hopefully producing some younguns like him. Still arguing about age on him with my son anyways.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 08:38 PM

Best scrape hunting is after the rut. There are no does but the bucks are still ready. The big bucks will visit them in the middle of the day. Saw it a lot when I lived in KS. They hit them hard here in Virginia too except late at night. The hunt clubs have them hunkered down all day from running dogs. There are several big bucks that I can't figure out how they keep from getting killed. But they always show back up after hunting season.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/16/23 08:47 PM

The chase is on here in Tennessee but intensity varies from one area to another. The deer are out there but you have to adjust to changing patterns.
This old 8 point was chasing a doe hard thru the beans.

[Linked Image]

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/17/23 02:27 AM

GreatBuck

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/17/23 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spike369
Best scrape hunting is after the rut. .

??,

Not my findings at all.
Lots of bucks will have already been killed by then?

Re: Deer are scarce This Season. - 11/17/23 02:44 PM

At the end of Season
All next years Trophys are still running around

x cept Savells his aren't born till next spring grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums