Home

WI Gun Deer Thread 2023

Posted By: Green Bay

WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/15/23 11:57 PM

It is getting close to the nine day gun deer season so it must be time to start the annual thread. Good luck to all of those who are going out Saturday. Have fun and be safe.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 12:06 AM

Yes good luck to all can’t wait for pictures I only have 2 guys hunting on farm this year they should knock at least one down I will post pictures if any luck I have not hunted deer in 11 years
Posted By: corky

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 12:18 AM

Heading to camp tomorrow. Good luck everyone and be safe.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 12:24 AM

Good luck all be safe. Was in the woods all day today. At the cabin Friday. Ahhh retirement, lol. We have 11 hunting including my 86-year-old mother!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 12:39 AM

My grand sons from Alaska are hunting with me for a few days.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 01:19 AM

A friend of our son in law has a 12 year old daughter going on her first hunt, so we are giving up our stands on his property so she can get a good chance at a deer. We are going to a spot about 10 miles further away that we have never hunted before. Need to be careful as there are several developments in the area. Sure is different then 28 years hunting in the northern national forest region with fewer deer, fewer hunters and miles of woods.

Bryce
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 01:53 AM

Had our annual deer hunting "meeting" tonight to layout were everyone was going to be at opening day, was happy to see some of the premium stands given up for young hunters. Good luck to all stay safe and shoot straight
Posted By: k snow

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 02:13 AM

Dad and I are headed out to the Great Aunt and Uncle's farm on Friday. Between dad's health and my aunt's dementia, this may very well be the last year deer hunting there. It'll be a bittersweet season for sure.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 05:29 AM

Our deer camp is going to look a different this year. I'm the 5th generation at our camp that started as an old shingle camp way back when. This summer/fall my dad and I have been working hard to build a new cabin, and we've got enough done to sleep in the new place this weekend.

Normally we have 5 in camp opening weekend, but this year our main get together will be 2nd weekend. One of our members has his daughter's baby shower, and 2 guys will be hunting their property elsewhere. So me and Pops will hopefully fill our buck tags opening weekend and get to spend the rest of season working on killing some Busch Light and Malibu.

Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 05:38 AM

Good luck to everyone. Going to miss this year's season, meeting the eye surgeon on Monday for a consultation.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 09:52 AM

we have 12 in camp this year

camp is the house that my great great grandfather built in the 1880s
my great aunt owns it and has lived there most of her life.

we all go visit and it is like a family reunion with deer hunting.

we eat very well ,fish fry Friday , Lasagna Saturday and a full thanksgiving dinner on Sunday.

I am sure we will probably get a few deer also
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 01:14 PM

It’s time to make some more memories!
Just my son and I in deer camp- tomorrow night we will be grilling some T-Bones and have a sensible amount of Buffalo Trace. Saturday and Sunday will be dawn to dusk buck only days and before Thanksgiving we’ll fill a few swamp donkey tags.
Wishing everyone a safe and successful hunt.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/16/23 01:24 PM

I usually stay at my son's place for opening weekend but this year will just be going up to hunt as much as I can each day due to my wife's condition. Not sure how this will all go but it will be good to be up there for sure. Gotta admit my heart is not in it this year but have not missed a deer opener in 57 years and don't plan on starting now. We are dedicated meat hunters so brown will be down. With the weather we are having we will have to cut very soon if we have any luck.

Good luck and a safe, fun hunt to all!!!!!

Moosetrot

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 11:31 AM

Safe travels today and this evening.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
My grand sons from Alaska are hunting with me for a few days.

I hope You all Have a Blast!!!
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 12:36 PM

Good luck everyone, I'll be out with my 11-year-old granddaughter. It will be fun.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 01:27 PM

Just heard that my Grandson got off work for the week so he will be with us all week. So happy! Kathy and I are getting ready to head to the cabin for the day, then take my mother out for fish dinner, we have been doing this since my Dad passed away 37 years ago. She is 86 and all ready to shoot her big buck tomorrow morning. Still, get excited for opening day with the family. I hope the youngsters get some. Be safe all, shoot straight!
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Just heard that my Grandson got off work for the week so he will be with us all week. So happy! Kathy and I are getting ready to head to the cabin for the day, then take my mother out for fish dinner, we have been doing this since my Dad passed away 37 years ago. She is 86 and all ready to shoot her big buck tomorrow morning. Still, get excited for opening day with the family. I hope the youngsters get some. Be safe all, shoot straight!

That’s a awesome tradition enjoy your time
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker

So Awesome
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 01:45 PM

Sounds like a great camp beartracker.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/17/23 04:49 PM

Tomorrow can't come soon enough my wife said I'm driving her nuts apparently she doesn't like it when I sneak up on her and blow the grunt tube, might have to switch to the bleat maybe that will be better
Posted By: tlguy

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/18/23 12:58 PM

No deer yet, but I'm not one to pass up some fur collection and when they run up and stop 20 yards away broadside on a log, it's nap time.

[Linked Image]

Good luck everyone!
Posted By: Alex the dog

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/18/23 08:20 PM

Didn’t see a deer but picked up these coon on a short line where I don’t worry about critters getting shot.
Dave

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/18/23 11:34 PM

Finally got one that won’t be tough.

Attached picture 72202743073__31AF18C0-5FB8-48CF-A18E-39A339A1F954.jpeg
Posted By: bblwi

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/18/23 11:47 PM

My son saw 3 bucks, one before shooting hours, one big one walking along the edge of a field right next to the subdivision and a small buck that came out behind him and right in line with several houses. I saw 3 deer all too far out. Wind in the AM was tough. Not much moving during shooting hours and few shots. There were several deer coming into the one field after hours where we hunted. All right across from the subdivision. Did get a chance to check out better shooting lanes and places to post for tomorrow.

Bryce

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/19/23 12:23 AM

This morning saw one 4 pt walked by at 5 yards and hung out for 30 min. Saw 2 doe this afternoon no good shots, let em walk.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/19/23 02:25 AM

Saw several does and fawns, 4 point, and 15" 8 point. Wife saw does and 8 point, Grandson spike multiple does and fawns, Mom, lots of does and fawns. None shot.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/19/23 01:36 PM

[Linked Image]
Granddaughter got her first deer, .243 with .85 gr copper hollow points, massive lung shredding, dropped in place, my 14 year old nephew also killed one yesterday on my land, his first, a fork horn.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/19/23 08:25 PM

Congratulations to all of you fishdog

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 12:16 AM

Got my 86 year old father out and he got a six pointer. He was happy as a clam. His health has been bad so I was happy to assist him hunting this year. I also took a 7 pointer and a big fat doe.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 12:21 AM

Good job, GB!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 10:58 AM

WTG guys,
Posted By: The Beav

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 11:08 PM

The beav went out on Saturday killed a nice doe. Now I have a 4 point and 2 does In the freezer.
The grandsons showed up late Saturday from Alaska. Got them all set up to go out Sunday. My 16 year old killed a huge 8 point. Had a 24 Inch inside spread. Not much mass but a beautiful buck. Then my 14 year old killed a buck fawn. First time he had used a deer rifle. That deer never moved out of It's tracks.
Only saw 3 deer In total and they got 2 of them. I'm one proud grand pa.
And even better yet they butchered my doe and their two deer and they are all In the freezer. And we went out and hung a few beaver snares today.
Life Is good.
Posted By: longrangekilla

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 11:37 PM

That was a super nice Buck Gary. Those boys will remember that forever. You have a wonderful family.
Posted By: longrangekilla

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/20/23 11:50 PM

[Linked Image]

This was mine from opening day. 430 p.m.

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 12:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Well, we had the least shooting heard ever in our area. Guys were simply not in the woods. Finally around noon I told my son that I would take a slow walk up the trail to him. I was about halfway when I heard him shoot. He got this nice 10 pointer. One shot and blew the top off the heart like usual. We were all giddy about having a deer and hunted the rest of the day and saw nothing else.

Sunday was the same story with nobody in the woods. About 7:00 I heard him shoot. [Linked Image]

He nailed a nice 3 pt.

Around noon we skinned and quartered both of them and they are cooling in the fridge now.

Nice to have raised a natural-born killer. We figure one more doe and we can get out duck hunting again. The tribe will not starve this year.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 12:48 AM

Glad to see you had some success Moose. My grandson shot a small10 pt. Sunday. It was his fourth deer in his young deer hunting career. All were one shot kills. How has the duck hunting been recently?

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 01:05 AM

My mom got a doe tonight 86 years young and still hunting. Took the top of the heart right off. She said she was done for the year. I said so I can take my atv home, she no not yet. LOL grin

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Muskratwalt
Glad to see you had some success Moose. My grandson shot a small10 pt. Sunday. It was his fourth deer in his young deer hunting career. All were one shot kills. How has the duck hunting been recently?

Congrats to your Grandson, Walt! He must come from good bloodlines!

Have not been able to do much duck hunting this year, Walt. Certainly not as much as I usually do,

Moosetrot
Posted By: k snow

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 01:26 AM

Dad got a nice big doe on Saturday afternoon. He saw a few more on Sunday before shooting light. I didn't see any deer all weekend. Heard a little shooting, but not like itbused to be. Either nobody is hunting or everyone is just sitting and waiting.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 01:35 AM

Congrats all. Great job Mrs BearTracker. cool

Seems like every state is down #s wise.

Deer hunting is declining fast.
20 years ago, I'd see 100s a day.
This year, I doubt I seen 25 total. (Hunters).
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/21/23 08:30 PM

Congrats to all the successful hunters. Sounds like Wisconsin has been bucking the trend a little better than most. Likely more driven by the fact we are converting more of those hunters leaving gun hunting to archery season. Overall down less than 1%.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/wisconsin-gun-deer-harvest-2023

Re: WI Gun Deer Thread 2023 - 11/25/23 03:36 AM

My two oldest boys (16 &14) got it done today, one shot a basket 6 buck and doe and the other shot a doe. Best thing I heard all day was they are some of the safest and responsible hunters our group as seen in a long time. I haven't let them participate in deer drives until this year when I was confident in their shooting and understanding of safety. They were both presented shots at other deer but no ethical shots or the boys had concerns about the safety of the shots and passed. Couldn't be prouder, not the biggest deer but lifelong memories were made for the kids and the group.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums