Home

What GPS/land map apps do you use?

Posted By: wzroberts

What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 08:49 PM

Hi all,

I moved to a new area this summer and have permission to trap raccoons off of two fairly large pieces of land (1000 acres each, give or take). Property lines are not well marked. I would like to find a free/cheap GPS app that will help me find my way around, stay on the right side of the lines, and mark/find my traps. A map labeled with property lines and landowners' names would be best. Any recommendations?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 08:56 PM

Base maps works for me is not to expensive.
Posted By: brian92

Re: What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 09:09 PM

i suggest finding the local county parcel maps that are public on the internet and the contain all of the GIS data public from the state (this software can be hard to use sometimes).

If you wish to have something with an easier user interface i would suggest OnX however note that this is about $30-45 a year.

https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt/app/pricing
Posted By: brian92

Re: What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 09:11 PM

another mention about onX is that you can download the map of the area with the parcel lines and landowner info and save it on your phone or tablet which allows you to just use the gps chip in the device to determine your location as well as mark trap sets even if there is no phone service in the area with cell towers
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by brian92
another mention about onX is that you can download the map of the area with the parcel lines and landowner info and save it on your phone or tablet which allows you to just use the gps chip in the device to determine your location as well as mark trap sets even if there is no phone service in the area with cell towers

Basemap does that too.

Both are very similar. Huntstand has the most subscribers of all of them.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: What GPS/land map apps do you use? - 11/10/23 09:30 PM

And if you are simply looking to try get pretty close property ownership lines and not have to pay anything the Polaris Ride Command app has a “land info” layer which shows boundaries and owner names. Doesn’t have some of the features of onx, Basemap, etc……but it’s free. Plus I use it for snowmobiling. Happy trapping! ScottW
© 2024 Trapperman Forums