Home

Anybody eat bear?

Posted By: Owen156

Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:07 AM

I've got a good sized boar hanging around now for about a week, and thinking about slipping an arrow through him. I've never eaten bear and have been told by some it is great, and by others it ain't fit to eat, so give me some feedback. I'm not gonna kill him if I'm not gonna eat him. I've eaten most things including monkey and dog, so my palate is not to particular, but my wife is a little bit more particular and wouldn't eat beaver.
Posted By: corky

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:14 AM

I love it and prefer it over whitetail venison.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:15 AM

I have eaten it ,been a few years since anyone in the family drew a bear tag

like most things who is fixing it and how it was handled from the moment the heart stopped beating till it hit your fork has a lot more to do with it than anything while it was alive.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:17 AM

I've only shot one, I thought it was good. Didn't seem to far off from venison. My wife thought it was 'soft meat' pre cooked. I think it depends on what it's eating.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:23 AM

I like it. Consistency somewhere between pork and beef. I prefer it cooked to pink. Great for roasts as well.
It also makes terrific jerky.

Osky
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:27 AM

The ones I had were pretty darn good.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:31 AM

Makes great smoked sausage and pepperoni sticks.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:35 AM

I've taken bear in Maine and Idaho. It seems to be a local thing whether or not folks think they are worth eating. The folks in Maine love eating bear. Idaho not so much. They seem to consider bear to be infested with disease. If a hunter insists they will bring back the meat, otherwise just the hide.

I took a bear in Maine that had been run for hours by hounds. I liked it fine if cooked in a slow cooker with carrots, patatoes, onions, but the wife didn't care for it. The meat has a more rubbery texture than beef, venison, or pork. I hope someday to take a bear here in Va and see how we like it.
Posted By: white17

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
I like it. Consistency somewhere between pork and beef. I prefer it cooked to pink. Great for roasts as well.
It also makes terrific jerky.

Osky

X2 especially on the jerky.
But roasts are good and make good sandwiches when cold....with a dab of horseradish !

Never had a bad one
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:15 AM

I’ve tried it in a roast and a stew. Roast was good, and anything in a stew is good. Mine were bush bear. I’ve heard it depends what they eat. Garbage dump bear being a no go.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:17 AM

It should be cooked well. Like wild boar, they can carry trichinosis. I don't mind bear.
Posted By: bleeohio

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:20 AM

I'd have to think if you've had monkey and dog meat, bear meat would have to be a step up. I've had bear at our local game feed and i thought it was pretty good.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:28 AM

The best eating ones come from near landfills where they have been able to bulk up on Huggies and Pampers.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:35 AM

I mean you have eaten dog. Monkeys are practically a close cousin to some people, so I can't see you having a problem with bear.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:35 AM

I have eaten all of them I’ve harvested they taste good to me
Posted By: Boco

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:38 AM

Bear meat is good and good for you. I prefer a spring bear to a fall bear but both are fine eating.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:41 AM

I haven't shot one for a long time, IMHO it made the best polish sausage.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:42 AM

Superb meat. Excpecialy if it's been feeding in grain fields.
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:48 AM

Definitely worth eating. I like it better than venison. Bear roast is my favorite thing to do with it. I agree with others that it needs to be taken care of well after harvest. Get it skinned and cooled down right away.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:50 AM

Outstanding meat, softer, sweeter in our opinion. Roasts, steaks, and breakfast links for us. Absolutely love it, Wisconsin and Ontario bears we have harvested and eaten.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:54 AM

It's mine and my Wifes favorite meat

like Osky said taste is between beef and pork.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:00 AM

My family and I have eaten enough of them to say they taste like the best pork we have ever eaten. We take very good care of our bear starting as soon as they hit the ground. If you can skin and quarter them and get them in a hanging cooler as quick as possible they will be great. We go so far as to pack them with ice on the way to camp from the woods. I think a lot of folks that think bear is not good have not truly taken good care of the meat. Even save the ribs and throw them on the grill for a real treat!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:02 AM

We killed a small bear last week. I got the heart, fillets, and a couple of slabs of fat. I pickled the heart with onions and turned out good. I butterflied the fillets. Sprinkled salt and pepper on them. Left them in fridge for a day. Coated with flour and pan fried. Pretty darn good. I cubed the fat and rendered into grease/lard. The left over cracklings were a good treat. I bet you could take the belly slab and make a good bacon? Bear is like any other meat. It's all in how you prepare it.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:03 AM

I've eaten 100± bear and I've never seen ANY resemblance of anything pork?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:11 AM

Maybe i should correct myself and when someone asks me what bear tastes like I should say "bear".

Moosetrot
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
I've eaten 100± bear and I've never seen ANY resemblance of anything pork?

Chicken?
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:51 AM

I've eaten in excess of 100 black bears; never had a bad one. Young ones, old ones, ancient ones. Males, females. Spring, fall. Look into rendering the fat; makes the finest pastries imaginable. Bear meat should be cooked pretty well-done to avoid trichinosis. Breakfast patty sausage...

Jack
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 03:00 AM

[Linked Image]
Pickled bear heart w/onions.

[Linked Image]
Fried bear fillets.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 03:07 AM

All the bear around here are grain fed and eat the wild mast. This year wild mast has been slim. Looks like I'm getting a bear tag. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 04:50 AM

This is the best time to kill a bear IMO. They’ve been gorging on all the wild fruit since the berries got ripe last summer. Then they moved on to apples, hawthorns, pears and apricots. Thats how it works in my neck of the woods, the meat is great
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 05:17 AM

Any time is good to eat a black bear

Alaskan Brown now.....Never again -right Waggler?
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 09:50 AM

I prefer it not as dry as deer.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 10:13 AM

good eating
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 10:31 AM

Go get him, excellent eating. Take care of the meat properly.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 10:36 AM

Really good eating and we enjoy it- this was the first year I took a bear in for processing, first time I case skinned a bear for taxidermy and I was tired by the end of the day. I asked the guy what his specialty was and he said Bear Bacon, I had the whole bear turned into Stixs, Bacon, saved the backstraps and gave it away to anyone that saved bait or helped bait. Numerous comments on the best bacon I've ever had... definitely will do that again.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 11:06 AM

I eat a lot of bears and I have never found one that was anything like pork at all. It's good meat, just make sure it is always cooked to at least 145 degrees to kill any potential for trichinella, there should never be any rare or medium rare in bear meat. I have quite a few videos on my YouTube channel about processing bears and bear cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLji1C9fBDe5M2RgcLC3tqiA_55J083lNd
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 11:08 AM

I have taken a bear on a bait site containing fish and beaver. Tasted horrible. My last bear taken over doughnuts, fruit and granola was terrific. Next time I will not hunt over meat bait sites.
Posted By: CJonesFTA

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 11:52 AM

Bear meat that was taken care of properly and cooked respectfully is some of the best meat we've ever eaten. We've had bears from New Brunswick, CA and NJ, and all of them were delicious. We use ground to cut some fat into our venison if I'm making a meatloaf, meatballs or something like that since we do not add fat into venison. It's my husbands favorite game meat. Makes great sausage, good roasts, pulled bear meat and on and on. I usually do a bear sloppy joe for mentored hunts or field to fork events that is always well received.
Posted By: DHH

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 12:53 PM

Good stuff . I compare it to beef , dark red and a little grainier but always tender . Much better than venison
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 01:45 PM

Taking care of it properly is important as any meat is,it's excellent if you haven't tried bear ribs you don't know what your missing.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 02:32 PM

Very good. Smoked bear ribs are a favorite. Cans and stores well. If frozen, we prefer to eat it within 6-9 months
Posted By: Boco

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 03:08 PM

Smoked bear ribs are a delicacy.
Years ago when I lived up in the canyon I took bear regularly for meat and hides.
Often when skinning and butchering in the yard,the oler women would come over and help,and would ask for the ribs.I only took the legs,neck meat and backstraps,so no problem giving the ribs to the neighbors.
One day old George,a neighbor brought over a big bowl of fresh smoked bear ribs for me.First time I tried them-Man what a great treat they are.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 03:27 PM

Both Michigan bears I shot were real tasty. Wife and kid approved too!

Way I understand it, the open dumps back in the day and hunters not cooling them down lead to all the bad raps about it tasting bad.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Owen156
I've got a good sized boar hanging around now for about a week, and thinking about slipping an arrow through him. I've never eaten bear and have been told by some it is great, and by others it ain't fit to eat, so give me some feedback. I'm not gonna kill him if I'm not gonna eat him. I've eaten most things including monkey and dog, so my palate is not to particular, but my wife is a little bit more particular and wouldn't eat beaver.

Fall bears are the best eating, as long as they're not feeding on garbage. I like to make mostly sausage and render the lard for baking, it also makes wonderful soap, now is when they are fattest. MonsterToms has the best tasting bears in North America in his area, peaches and all sorts of fruit. I had some given to me a few years ago and it's wonderful. Garbage dump bears taste like what they eat.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 04:56 PM

I've eaten bear 3 different times. Twice at a game feed and once where a guy who was supposed to make the best bear around, according to some people. I thought it was the worst wild game for eating there is and I've eaten beaver, muskrat, coon, which I thought were pretty decent.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Anybody eat bear? - 11/09/23 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
I have taken a bear on a bait site containing fish and beaver. Tasted horrible. My last bear taken over doughnuts, fruit and granola was terrific. Next time I will not hunt over meat bait sites.

I concur on fish eating bears. sick
© 2024 Trapperman Forums