Home

Culvert Coyote Trapping

Posted By: snowy

Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 07:58 PM

I trap a few yotes every year but I'm a water trapper first and foremost. Do any of you set road culverts for yotes and how do you set for them using a culvert?

Now, before I get hung with trapping on state or fed. hwy/road culverts I'm not. I'm talking private road ranch owned roads with culverts.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 08:53 PM

Don't know about coyotes but I know some cat trappers that swear by them.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 09:22 PM

Most of culverts in my area have water flowing thru them most of the year.....along with cottonmouths. So, I ain't no help.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 09:28 PM

It seems like here the sick yotes go to culverts to die.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 09:47 PM

If those culverts are dry and big enough they are a hot location. Gang set both sides.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 10:09 PM

depends on the size of the culvert, how you set it will be how successful you are but it can work
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 10:18 PM

I catch a few coyotes in old pond and some field culverts if old style with open tubes. They seem to hang out in them during harsh weather. Snares are what use. Wire supports and tie off to hole drilled in lip edge of metal tube.
Jim

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jabNE
I catch a few coyotes in old pond and some field culverts if old style with open tubes. They seem to hang out in them during harsh weather. Snares are what use. Wire supports and tie off to hole drilled in lip edge of metal tube.
Jim

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try this wintah. Snares and footholds are not a good fit for me because too much wildlife around. These are open on both ends some are 3 and 4 foot and most are ~18 inch diameter. I will try some snares and would you block down the 3- and 4-foot culverts for a smaller entering hole?
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/15/23 11:06 PM

I have caught a few in connibear or snares set by culverts. Caught a coyote by foot an 160 an pull earth anchor an got hung up in culvert once
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Originally Posted by jabNE
Jim

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try this wintah. Snares and footholds are not a good fit for me because too much wildlife around. These are open on both ends some are 3 and 4 foot and most are ~18 inch diameter. I will try some snares and would you block down the 3- and 4-foot culverts for a smaller entering hole?

Depends upon the situation but most culverts like you describe will have some dirt covering the bottom creating a flat spot for the tote or other animals to walk on so already they are naturally narrowed down. You won’t find many animals trying to go thru the culverts on the slanted curved sidewalls. That said box culverts would be different but it doesn’t take much to narrow them down ahead of time.

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 12:42 PM

Thanks Kelly. I will some of the culverts a try this year. I find it to hard setting with all the other wildlife so this maybe a way to take a few yotes this winter.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 01:21 PM

Snowy most culverts in my area like old pond dams and ones in field roadways also have a wedwy waterway leading to/from them and those are good spots to hit. If the coyotes traveling those weedy water ways up to or away from the culvert decent to go “up and over” instead of through the culvert you can still have them at this weedy waterway. When those are dry or frozen up they are excellent snare spots for coyotes and cats alike.
Jim
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 01:24 PM

Big coons use the culvert- dead coons cross the road- I'd get plugged here for sure if they weren't denned up.

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 02:17 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone. Yes, the mask bandits use the water way culverts all the time from sign that I see.

So, I will use a snare at the entrance of convert and then would you use lure inside of culvert? How would you set for a culvert setup?

Like I said, I'm a water animal trapper and not a good yote trapper.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 02:22 PM

I'd just blind set it if there already using it no need to lure it

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Keystonekiller

Thanks!!!
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 05:44 PM

Yup,
Originally Posted by Keystonekiller
Posted By: MJM

Re: Culvert Coyote Trapping - 10/16/23 09:46 PM

I set some culverts with a five foot 1/2 rebar rod for a slide. I set both dry and wet culverts. The trap was set at the mouth. When you made a catch the went inside and could not get back out. I put a pencil sized stick through the chain and could see if it was gone on a drive bay.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums