Home

Country Music Today

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Country Music Today - 10/10/23 06:02 AM

on the radio can't hold a candle to the country music today that's not on the radio.

Posted By: Dewey S

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 06:12 AM

Very true
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 09:11 AM

It’s a trend of late. Sounds a bit like Tyler Childers.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 09:59 AM

It's true. Turn on the radio and you get pure crap like Blake Shelton or Luke Bryan.
Posted By: DRF

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 10:33 AM

I remember watching an interview with Merle haggard and George Jones and they said the best thing radio ever did was stop playing their songs because then people went out and bought their music.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 10:52 AM

Thr only country music I listen to on the radio are on the "oldies" station. The noise today isn't worth my time.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 11:06 AM

Country music today sucks the 80 and 90s were better.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 11:21 AM

In the PBS series "Country Music", country music ended around 1995. A comment one of them made was the corporations that control it.......producers and record labels.........would just clone one of the popular #1 records and only play that. It appears that is what they have done. Like rap, every song same as every other song and is attributed to pretty boy hat racks, which if they could sing at all, that has been trained right out of em. They all sound the same.

A real singer's talent is often their voice, which is a unique instrument all by itself. You know who then are the moment the song starts. None of that today.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 12:12 PM

Never been a huge country music fan, except for what my parents listened to. But I kind of like most of the stuff today, especially Aaron Lewis. But absolutely no Garth or Paisley.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
It’s a trend of late. Sounds a bit like Tyler Childers.

he started out pretty good but Childers is another woke idiot....
Posted By: gcs

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 01:04 PM

We have one country station here, everytime I tune in I can't listen for more than a couple minutes... not good....
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 01:23 PM

Less restrictive interference makes it more pure.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 01:29 PM

there is every genera of music out there not even 10% gets any radio play

we did music festivals for a while the talent out there is incredible people with so much talent all over , but they may never hardly get any radio play time because the radios play the same stuff over and over

there is great music being made of every type still
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 01:45 PM

Oliver Anthony has changed the way people look for new talent today Id expect better things ahead.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:18 PM

Cody Johnson was told his music was too rodeo for radio.
Aaron Watson was told in Nashville that songs were good but not marketable. Then he produced a number album here in Texas.
Yall remember Sawyer Brown and all the hits they had? The only way they could get a recording contract was to win it as the grand prize on Star Search.

The powers that be are clueless when it comes to a large percentage of their market prefer.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:24 PM

I've been following this young man for a couple years. He has a throw back sound and sings at all the honkey tonks in Texas.He has a great baritone voice so he is basically our version or Colter Wall.

Posted By: The Beav

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:35 PM

Then we have this dude called Jelly Roll.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:38 PM

"Barf" Brooks was the beginning of the end.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:38 PM

I like it Lefty. Seems like I heard that song before somewhere, sounds familiar. It's definitely got that 90s country sound.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:58 PM

I agree he doesn't quit fit it with modern country and we like that around here. Even his love songs are about honky tonkin!

grin

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 02:58 PM

And LMBO @ Barf Brooks
Posted By: Boco

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 03:06 PM

Is that what George Jefferson calls a Honky? lol.
Always wondered what that meant.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 04:58 PM

Country music could get worse than it's always been? Who knew?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 08:10 PM

I just assume now there is no more music, country , rock or any other kind. No actor's worth a flip, no movies, no tv show's, no nothing! Can't have an imagination if you grow up with your nose stuck in a telephone 24/7, it's the zombie generation now.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 08:12 PM

Sucks
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Is that what George Jefferson calls a Honky? lol.
Always wondered what that meant.

No Boco.

The name came from when the white land owner stopped to pick up the black help he just honked the horn.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I like it Lefty. Seems like I heard that song before somewhere, sounds familiar. It's definitely got that 90s country sound.

This one?

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/c4LOMf482zE?si=I6b1w-D9WMAiDrcq[/video]
Posted By: bass10

Re: Country Music Today - 10/10/23 11:36 PM

Well I’m in the minority here but I like it. Still like my 80’s rock but a lot of the guys
Listed are avid outdoorsman. I like the older as well and like the mix. Now new rock,
R&b and pop I can do without
Posted By: Savell

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 01:21 AM

… I agree Yote… we’ve had good alternatives to top 40 country crap down here since I was in high school … could ride a little ways to a bigger town and there was always someone who’s known now playing for a 5$ cover

… still all I listen too… but I’m afraid whiskey myers might be racist unfortunately .. see below..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 03:26 AM

Things went down hill when Slim Chance the cryin cowboy hung it up.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 04:33 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 04:34 AM

that's funny right there

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 12:12 PM

Ha! No doubt about it.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 12:20 PM

Just got back from a quick road trip and once along the way lowered standards enough to listen to a "country" station for about 30 minutes. Confirmed what I already knew......but with a twist.

For the country cult bunch, most are familiar with the iconic piece by David Allen Coe song "you never call me by my name", in which he revealed that the perfect country song had to include references to "momma, rain, trains, trucks, prison and getting drunk"........which begat the last verse.........."well I was drunk the day my mom got outta prison........and I went to pick her up in the rain......."

For the traditionalists.......modern country songs......most them......still include those.......with a twist..........it is now cold beer, pickup truck / 4 wheel drive, and trains have been replaced with dirt roads/country roads.....and momma with some girl. All of them........sung to same old same old modern version of the nasal "twang". All the singers have two first names. Luke Bryan? Or Justin, Jason, Luke, etc. and all have their own signature costume and cowboy had they will never be seen in public without.

The station I used to listen to played "acid country". Instead of a play list that was maybe 20 songs long by same old same old, it may have been 20,000 songs long. Right after the current top 40 hit from Dolly or Willie or George Jones or Loretta might be Bob Wills. Not only a cover of Bob Wills by Asleep at the Wheel, but the actual Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Not only a cover of a Son's of the Pioneers by Riders in the Sky but actual Sons of the Pioneers. Remember the line from "Bob's Place" in the Blues Brothers.......where they played both kinds of music.......Country and Western? Not only songs by Johnny Cash with the Carter family singing backup, but would play the actual Mother Maybelle Carter singing "the Wildwood Flower". That was them. The morning DJ was Ron Lutz..........the 500 pound round mound of sound.....who could also play and sing himself.......and knew a whole slew of those performers personally. And that just one dinky podunk station in the middle of nowhere.

When it came to trucks, there was room for a Dave Dudley, Red Sovine (Phantom 309), a CW McCall and even Cledus Maggard and his "White Knight".

All that from one station and it played all day long........dawn to dusk. It was entertainment you could listen to all day long and never get tired of it.......caused it was never the same. Sad news is that station is still around and still claims to stick to the tradition of country music, and is a classic country station, but really isn't. They have a very short playlist of truly horrible songs from tail end of country music, right before it died.

Sad part is there is still a demand for the old sound, but will be hard pressed to find anyone that can sing it. Pure country sound. Acid country. There are a few. Here is Suzy Boggus doing a cover of the old Patsy Montanna classic..........let's see Taylor Swift cover that.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 01:17 PM

Will throw out a better one........anyone in the past 50 years what went to a place that had live or recorded country music and a dance floor...........when this song came on the only one's who didn't get up to slow dance were the ones who couldn't walk.

In the modern era, is there a comparable standard? I doubt it.

Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 01:44 PM

There's still good country and folk music, it just rarely is on the radio.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 01:59 PM

I like the old and the new country music. Still have favorite artists today as I did with years gone-bye artists.

Some great and talented artists today in the country music industry.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 02:32 PM

Years ago, in Branson, we were privileged to see a group called "Sons of the Pioneers". Roy Rogers once sang with them. They said there were two kinds of country music, Country Western and Country. Country Western were singers like their group and singers like Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Patsy Cline, etc. The more modern country music includes singers like Collin Raye, Sarah Evans, Kenny Rogers, Alan Jackson, etc.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 02:57 PM

CM on the AM/FM radio seems to come in two forms....old......new.......plus now and then you find a hybrid.........about 4 songs in 5 are modern, the 5th being a "classic" song......but even those only go back to the 90's or newer.

For those wondering.......a decent place to look if you have it.......SiriusXM..........channel 61.........Willie's Roadhouse. That will keep you entertained and going for a few hundred miles.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 03:12 PM

There's a lot of good music out there....just need to know where to look
Red Dirt is where it's at...Turnpike, Jason Boland, and many others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iamLvzdRMXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjfg2_CXAEg
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 04:42 PM

Hard to say that country is dead when the most popular song in the world is a country song putting down the government.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 06:48 PM

You make a fair point. I hope the conservative patriotic back woods Charlie Daniels type of singer and music makes a return.

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 08:21 PM

Some more like this would work too

Re: Country Music Today - 10/12/23 10:20 PM

I think I know a "falling star" of the type Anderson was singing about. His name was Roy Drusky. Was a big name once, and had a deep, velvety smooth voice. When I heard him, he was playing at a small country club my parents belonged to in front of maybe 50 people. He also faked a curtain call. Gotta know when to hang it up.

Another might be Narvel Felts. If he is still performing, probably needs a walker to get around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums