Home

Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping

Posted By: REVOLT1488

Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 06:33 AM

Gonna share my experience with an offset jaw trap and my subsequent opinion, which is sure to get some people up in arms

Bought a duke #2 OS square jaw from rural king last year, which was a really solidly built trap felt good in the hand, added my usual 5 or so feet of #2 American chain to it and hit the woods, ended up setting it in a high bank trail along a creek as a blind set, chained off to a sapling.
Idk how long it sat before it had caught, but when I walked up on it, it was yanked from the trap bed and sitting in a small catch circle with nothing in it. This trail was way too thick and overgrown to be a deer trail, I would bet I had a coon or possum step in it, or mabey even a squirrel or something, but was able to pull right out because of the gap between them jaws.
The trap now serves a purpose as an weight on a setline I put out from time to time... and I will not own another offset jaw trap again. I'd imagine it would be great for coyote or fox or large coon, but for me, smaller game makes up the bulk of what I trap. In this fur market I have no reason to put out a huge line and tons of effort into putting up numbers of coyote, fox, large raccoon, etc. I run small strings trapping for meat to keep my grocery bill low. A small coon or possum, or a fat squirrel, or whatever I lost that day, would have made an excellent meal and had I used a regular jaw trap I probably would have had it. When your only running 10-15 sets and one hits but is sitting empty when you come around to check, it kinda sucks.
Lots of fellers talking about higher lockup more humane all that, idk my regular jaw traps hold what gets in em and rarely do I ever have damage done to a critter, this trap failed at its job. I don't do much catch and release fishing, I don't want to do much catch and release trapping either. Won't touch another offset jaw trap and I don't understand the appeal of em. You wouldn't crack your door and expect to keep things out, why have a gap in the jaws of a trap and expect to keep things in?
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 06:52 AM

Use what works for you brother. The offset jaw is not causing you lost game.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 10:08 AM

Not much luck holding a toe caught coon in an offset jaw trap. Tighten pan tension for higher catches. Do what u must.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 10:12 AM

Sorry you had a bad experience, I like my os.
Posted By: learch

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 11:32 AM

Offset or not a two sized foothold is a lot of trap for a coon. Use the correct size hardware for your target critter and you should not have any problem.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 11:36 AM

To each his own
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by learch
Offset or not a two sized foothold is a lot of trap for a coon. Use the correct size hardware for your target critter and you should not have any problem.

This^^^^. Tapered legs and offset jaws are a formula for pullouts!
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 11:54 AM

Wow 1 trap, 1 miss and they are all no good. I've only been trapping for 1 year and had a few misses but never blamed the trap.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 12:16 PM

You got one thing right, you do need a different trap.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 12:42 PM

I'm at a loss as to what to say because it will go right over the OP's head

You cannot use the wrong gear and blame the gear.

low fur prices are not what's preventing you from catching large numbers of anything
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 12:52 PM

If it’s meat your after get some DPs
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 01:21 PM

A 1.5 Duke is a good coon trap. I like to stake mine and keep them away from anything they can use for leverage.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 01:54 PM

Trap didn't fail, you just picked the wrong trap for your intended job. Duke #2 OS is not a small coon, possum, squirrel or rabbit trap
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Trap didn't fail, you just picked the wrong trap for your intended job. Duke #2 OS is not a small coon, possum, squirrel or rabbit trap

Truth
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 03:13 PM

A long time ago I removed the pads from some #3 Soft Catch, welded a lamination on them, added a shock spring. I staked some and dragged some. The staked traps held Grey Fox,coons,cats and a couple porkys, the ones with the drags were wound up past the shock spring and empty. The offset is 5/16 on these traps, there is something else going on with your loses, if I was targeting coon, possums etc. my choice would be an 11.
Posted By: Trappeur Gunny

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 05:02 PM

"Bought a duke #2 OS square jaw from rural king last year, which was a really solidly built trap felt good in the hand, added my usual 5 or so feet of #2 American chain to it and hit the woods, ended up setting it in a high bank trail along a creek as a blind set, chained off to a sapling."

That sentence says it all. #2 OS, 5 foot of #2 chain and chained to a sapling. You are lucky you found your trap.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Exactly. It's like setting a 330 for mink and wondering why they aren't working.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 08:18 PM

Catch and release ..... is that not called the "Brandon set " ???
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 08:26 PM

My guess is you held a deer for a few seconds
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 08:51 PM

Can’t count the number of mink, rats, coon, etc. I’ve caught in offset jaw traps. IMHO it had little to do with the trap that you came up empty!
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yotegiter
If it’s meat your after get some DPs

If it's meat he's after he should forget trapping &
head for the grocery store and see the butcher !!!!! laugh

w

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 09:53 PM

I use a lot of #11s especially in pocket sets, but for my blind sets in trails where it's possible something bigger may come down the trail, usually I use a #2 of some variety, I have a dozen wolf creek dogless #2s that hold what gets in em and I set all my traps up the same, 5-6 feet of #2 American chain, several swivels near the trap.

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 09:54 PM

I suppose that is possible, this just didn't seem like a trail a deer would be able to fit down...
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 10:59 PM

I forget which guy giving demos always always said 16 inches is ok and so is 6 ft. Anything in between is asking for trouble.

JMO I doubt the offset jaws were even a contributing factor but trap size and chain set up is all wrong for coins. Whenever one gets into my #3s it basically becomes a crime scene which is why thinning out the trash b4 the cats prime up and the big toms start to roll is a good strategy for me.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 10:59 PM

Season open there already?

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/08/23 11:09 PM

This was last year, I was out on my boat running some catfish lines and saw that hunk of junk and decided I'd share my story
Posted By: TC1

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/09/23 12:52 AM

;), gotcha
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Offset jaw traps, catch and release trapping - 10/09/23 01:04 AM

Use equipment you have confidence in and performs for your style of trapping. When going for new equipment, select target species specific sized equipment.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums