Home

Bacon bait

Posted By: Boomer1

Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:13 PM

Hey guys maybe someone can help me out here. Made some bacon bait for coyote trapping this fall. I used 5 lbs of bacon. With all the grease added it’s pretty soupy. Should I add more bacon or is it supposed to be like this.
Posted By: run

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:17 PM

It will probably be fine. I would be more worried about trappers eating it before the coyotes hit it to be honest.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:46 PM

When it turnes cold that grease will firm up
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:48 PM

That’s a waste of bacon!!
Fry bacon, eat bacon, save grease from bacon to make bait.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:51 PM

Save some of the grease to fry your eggs and Taters with. Coyotes want a full Breakfast on a Cold Morning. Don't forget the Biscuits and Gravy. They like that too.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:53 PM

Put it in the fridge, it will stiffen up.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 01:55 PM

I buy the 2.5gal of bait from MTP and add my own flavors. Bacon grease being one of them. A big glob of bacon/bobcat, beaver, or muskrat.
Posted By: Boomer1

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 02:06 PM

Well can’t put it in the fridge to jell up. It’ has other glands added. Lol
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer1
Hey guys maybe someone can help me out here. Made some bacon bait for coyote trapping this fall. I used 5 lbs of bacon. With all the grease added it’s pretty soupy. Should I add more bacon or is it supposed to be like this.

What all is in this "bacon bait".......exactly?

I put some dry cat food in a soup can, then poured hot bacon grease in to cover it.....then after it setup, dropped that in a dirt hole under a stump. Then put a game camera on it to see what would show up. Got 2 feral cats I'd never seen before, skunks, possum, coon and a red fox......and deer in the background watching the show. No coyotes......even tho they are around....often yapping no more than a few hundred yards away. But this was only 50 yards from my back door.

So bacon grease might work, but seems it would attract a lot of trash to go with any coyotes.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 02:13 PM

That'd be pretty much useless as bait here.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 02:22 PM

Put some castor in also.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 02:58 PM

Add 1lb bacon to 3 lb. venison and grind thickens it up nicely
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 04:15 PM

I used bacon grease down a dirt hole for years trapping grey fox down south. Never caught a single coyote, al5hough I was catching them all around the same areas useing mostly beaver. Just FYI
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 04:34 PM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3378883/bait-making-bait#Post3378883
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
That’s a waste of bacon!!
Fry bacon, eat bacon, save grease from bacon to make bait.

bacon grease isn't' a waste product it is just the start to a Gumbo or gravy or save it for all sorts of uses frying foods.
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 06:56 PM

Yup, that’s the recipe. I tweaked mine by doubling the castor and added 2 oz of Old Buck’s Death mink lure and 1 pint of Forget’s Champion. I found scorching the bacon ends gave it a little extra lift that I liked. It spanked a lot of baits during testing and pushed Widowmaker right off the line with a better catch ratio.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Bacon bait - 10/02/23 10:46 PM

Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Bacon bait - 10/03/23 01:55 PM

Have you considered joining BAA , Bacon Abusers Anonymous? grin
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Bacon bait - 10/03/23 03:04 PM

All you need is the grease nothing added to catch coyotes. We puse it all yhe time with success on foxes and coyotes.

When ya warm it a little drizzle it into thw hole,it actually will sink in the diet and they'll spend alot nore time at your set digging the hole out trying to get that taste and itll up your catch percentage.
You could have eaten the bacon yourself.lol
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Bacon bait - 10/03/23 03:22 PM

I quit using bacon grease, caught too many porcupines with it!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Bacon bait - 10/03/23 04:32 PM

I mixed up a batch this weekend. It was hand-to-hand combat trying to keep the dog away from it. It was super runny when I took it off the heat, but the next day it firmed right up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Bacon bait - 10/03/23 06:12 PM

Your supposed to add a tub of lard to the mix, then let cool. it stiffens up nice. Keep it cool or it turns rancid. I freeze mine until time to use.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums