Home

Don't know what it is about college football

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 05:46 PM

Not really a sports person. I mean if the game is on I won't complain if that's what everyone wants to watch but for the most part not something that's super interesting to me.That being said the guys on this boat watch any football they can when they can and gotta say , something about college football makes it a heck of a lot more interesting and fun to watch then the NFL. Can't for the life of me put my finger on it but I've been catching myself watching a out every college game that's come on ....for the whole 15min I can sit still at least laugh
Posted By: rex123

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 05:55 PM

I think it's because they are playing for the love of the game. The pros it's mostly about the money.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 06:13 PM

Presonally, I like pro's better......more equal as a whole.

Its really predictable who's going to win college ball.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 06:24 PM

I don't know about "love for the game"
I'm betting many, if not most, think they're good enough for a pro gig, so it kinda IS about the money...
Posted By: Seldom

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
I'm betting many, if not most, think they're good enough for a pro gig, so it kinda IS about the money...

The percentage of college players that makes the NFL is incredibly low. In fact, just 1.6 percent of college players will become a professional in the NFL. So the other 98.4 percent of players in college right now will not have their dream realized but still try to grab the golden ring! It could be the scholarship rides many receive though.

College baseball players appear to have an advantage because 5% will make it out of the minors.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by gcs

My oldest daughter is a college athlete at OU. Obviously, she's not a football player.

Her sport doesn't have the pros like football, but there are post college opportunities.

You're definitely right about some kids. But seeing my daughter and her friends (from other sports too) and my son's former teammates who wrestle in college, most college athletes are just college kids who love their sport. And, if they're lucky, their scholarship.

It's actually been cool to learn more about the college athlete culture. Takeaway: most of them are just kids. They may be faster, stronger, etc., but dang they seem so young at the dinner table.

I prefer college football over pro. I really enjoy high-school football too.
Posted By: Mando

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
I think it's because they are playing for the love of the game. The pros it's mostly about the money.

You don't think those college kids are getting monetary perks? They are.
Posted By: ky trapper

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 07:29 PM

I would much rather watch college football and I’ve always been that way. I also love to watch college football live. We have season tickets at Kentucky and we go to just about every game.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 08:24 PM

So far we are having a great year. GO CATS!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 08:28 PM

Not no mo'. NIL has allowed those kids to make lots of cash.
Posted By: ky trapper

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 09:12 PM

Yes we are. We will see what we’re made of this Saturday.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Then you should be a millionair. grin
Posted By: Mando

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/01/23 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by hippie

Then you should be a millionair. grin

Maybe he is.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 12:36 AM

I'll never watch NFL and Bama has two QB's burning it up right now and id like to watch them but their anti American stance in NFL ensure's i'll never watch another game.

Roll Tide
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 01:06 AM

My wife likes to watch football ,so we are watching KC, and it seems as though Taylor Swift is the icon of the night!
Why can't we get a good mid-western wind blow and push that garbage out to sea!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mando

You don't think those college kids are getting monetary perks? They are.

What percentage of them are? All of them, or just the 1.6%, give or take, who actually have a shot at the NFL?
There are heavy penalties these days for violating NCAA rules. The college teams make their money from TV contracts. If they get caught paying players, they lose that money for several years in the future.
If there is any "monetary perks" handed out, the donors of these funds would have to be a lot sneakier than in the days of old to get away with it.
The ones receiving the "perks", and all of their friends would have to keep it a secret. That seems to be the biggest failing of getting away with it. Somebody runs their mouth.

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 05:11 AM

I used to be a sports junky. I used to play football, baseball, and basketball in High School. I Loved every minute of it.
The only sport I can make myself watch is college football.
Seems like all of the fun has been taken out of all of the rest of sports by spoiled children pretending to be "professional" athletes.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

What percentage of them are? All of them, or just the 1.6%, give or take, who actually have a shot at the NFL?
There are heavy penalties these days for violating NCAA rules. The college teams make their money from TV contracts. If they get caught paying players, they lose that money for several years in the future.
If there is any "monetary perks" handed out, the donors of these funds would have to be a lot sneakier than in the days of old to get away with it.
The ones receiving the "perks", and all of their friends would have to keep it a secret. That seems to be the biggest failing of getting away with it. Somebody runs their mouth.

Did this get scrapped? I haven't followed it, and it was controversial at the time so it may have.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/...-them-are-seeing-money-is-that-fair.html
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 11:14 AM

You guys that are commenting about teams getting in trouble for paying are so far behind! Rule changes 2 years ago allowed players to receive unlimited monies for name image and likeness. NIL why do you think the teams that have been sucking fir decades are all of a sudden getting transfers to make them good again? Just watch any game on tv and pay attention when they talk about players transferring from one to another. Heck Iowa has the best woman player in the world. WNBA is begging her to go pro but she makes more in college than starting pay as a pro
There is a high school quarterback getting around 8 million per year because he committed to a college!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/02/23 11:17 AM

Here you are before the haters say I’m making this up
[Linked Image]

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/04/23 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
You guys that are commenting about teams getting in trouble for paying are so far behind! Rule changes 2 years ago allowed players to receive unlimited monies for name image and likeness. NIL why do you think the teams that have been sucking fir decades are all of a sudden getting transfers to make them good again? Just watch any game on tv and pay attention when they talk about players transferring from one to another. Heck Iowa has the best woman player in the world. WNBA is begging her to go pro but she makes more in college than starting pay as a pro
There is a high school quarterback getting around 8 million per year because he committed to a college!!

Apples and oranges. That is all above board, and I see nothing wrong with it.
That gal who is staying in college rather than going to a league that no one watches will benefit greatly from staying in school more than just financially if she gets her degree.
Posted By: bass10

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/04/23 09:43 AM

The NIL deals and transfer portal will ruin college football. People much smarter than me can't see it and make the appropriate changes. High school football is still my slight favorite to college
football. It is getting ruined in my state as well. Private schools in my area can get kids from 5 surrounding counties and beat up on local community teams that play with their kids, often losing their
D1 prospects to these loaded teams. Once again the college educated idiot leaders aren't smart enough to fix things. We have a local private Div. 2 school that has more D1 college kids on their
team in any given year than my D1 local community team has had in the past 25 years.
Posted By: James

Re: Don't know what it is about college football - 10/04/23 10:21 AM

Ohio State recently paid a high school quarterback several million dollars to commit to the school. The ingrate took the money and ran off to play for Texas, where he's now the star quarterback.

I'm an OSU double-alumnus and a fiercely loyal Buckeye fan. But I have to laugh at my alma mater's misfortune. I hope more big schools get burned like this. What were OSU's lawyers thinking, not to draft a contract that foresaw the possibility of a breach?

Paying college players is deplorable. The NCAA is just a mini-pro league now. The new system will really hurt the smaller, less well endowed schools.

Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums