Home

Challenging chainsaw problem

Posted By: swift4me

Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 03:11 PM

I've had a Husqvarna 450e for 13 years and never a problem, and it cut a lot of wood, until last year when it started to throw the chain. I received great advice from Scuba and Allan Minear, but I never found the solution, so I bought another 450 which runs fine. The old saw still has a great motor so I changed the clutch/sprocket and a new Oregon bar and a new chain. Today I cut wood with it or 15 minutes and the chain skipped again. I'm happy to use the new saw, but can't understand why the old saw won't work with a new bar, sprocket and chain.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete
Posted By: k snow

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 03:17 PM

I'm not a chain saw guy, but is the sprocket square to the bar? I'd be looking for a misalignment somewhere in there.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 03:40 PM

Are there missing or damaged plastic guides inside the clutch cover? There should be a big black one on that model. These are replaceable wear items.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 04:16 PM

Is the chain the correct gauge for the bar ?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 04:48 PM

check the bushing under the sprocket. that shaft may have some play in it
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 05:12 PM

Tell us
the numbers stamped on the sprocket and bar
and the umbers printed on the box the chain was in.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 06:22 PM

Check to see if the chain is the right pitch, ie: .325 or 3/8. Sounds like the chain is getting tossed up and over the guide end of the bar.
Posted By: white17

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
I've had a Husqvarna 450e for 13 years and never a problem, and it cut a lot of wood, until last year when it started to throw the chain. I received great advice from Scuba and Allan Minear, but I never found the solution, so I bought another 450 which runs fine. The old saw still has a great motor so I changed the clutch/sprocket and a new Oregon bar and a new chain. Today I cut wood with it or 15 minutes and the chain skipped again. I'm happy to use the new saw, but can't understand why the old saw won't work with a new bar, sprocket and chain.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Could the chain be losing tension as it heats up?? Maybe it is a problem with the tensioner
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 07:58 PM

Maybe this video will help (not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwF-3RY5P-4
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 08:06 PM

Another possibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_STUfZEevgQ
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/22/23 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
check the bushing under the sprocket. that shaft may have some play in it

This

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/23/23 08:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had never thought of the plastic guide inside the clutch cover. It was worn. The video from Tommyran gave me the clue. I'm sure that the chain is right for the bar and the pitch is right.

To find the plastic piece here will be tough and I don't want to buy the entire clutch cover, so I'm going to re-surface the plastic piece with JBWeld and see what happens.

The bushing below the sprocket seems fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Pete

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/23/23 09:06 AM

"I'm sure that the chain is right for the bar
and the pitch is right."
The drive sprocket needs to match also.
Just sayin.

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 09/23/23 09:19 AM

Wright Brothers..

Thanks. I have also changed that and am sure it is correct. Yesterday the saw worked fine for a while before the problem came back. I assume if the sprocket wasn't right it would have happened right away.

I'll see what happens whe the JBWeld dries and i can re-shape the piece.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 10/06/23 08:30 AM

Thanks again to all who helped me with this issue.

It was the plastic piece inside the clutch cover that was the problem. With my JBWeld fix it works like a champ.

Trapperman has so many fine members.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 10/06/23 09:25 AM

I didn't think that would matter but glad you won.
Thanks for checking back, it's one way we all learn.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 10/06/23 10:34 AM

After 13 years there are a lot of worn parts , I have a John Deere 55 EV my dad bought in 1980 or 81 the saw is a work horse but I’ve replaced a lot of parts that have wore out over 40 plus years of use
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Challenging chainsaw problem - 10/06/23 11:11 AM

Glad we could help.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums