Home

Duck Decoy ID?

Posted By: proratman

Duck Decoy ID? - 09/17/23 03:16 PM

Can anyone help me identify this factory Bluebill Drake decoy? It was in my uncle's house when we cleaned it out. I would like to know if anyone knows what company made this?
Thanks in advance! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DRF

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/17/23 04:24 PM

Looks like a mason decoy to me. They have some value I believe but not thousands. Was a working decoy.

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:17 AM

Ever run across a wooden decoy at a sale or wherever, buy it! Unless they wanting a ton for it then they prolly know what they have.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:49 AM

I have been told that the decoy is a Pratt Factory Decoy from the 1930's. Are these rare?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 01:39 AM

Don't know how rare it is but that is a really nice decoy. Wish it was mine! The pattern of the blue on the bill is kind of odd but that may be an identifier.

Please don't repaint it or clean it up. In doing so you will radically reduce the value. It has a few dings and stuff on it but that is due to it being used by a waterfowler in the Golden Age of Waterfowling. It is a fine example of that era and was held and used with pride by an old duck hunter. I have a lot of old decoys and each one has a story. I even have some that I learned to duck hunt over on Rush Lake in Wisconsin.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Rob & Neall

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 08:42 AM

I'm thinking Mason.

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 10:49 AM

Years ago we used to paint the top and bottom of bleach bottles black and use for diver decoys. We’d put a couple hundred out and had a string of them that went out like a tail on a kite and the divers would follow that right up to the decoys.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 11:28 AM

I have a Mason bluebill don't think this is one, bill and paint is different. Lot's of decoy makers out there.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by DRF
Ever run across a wooden decoy at a sale or wherever, buy it! Unless they wanting a ton for it then they prolly know what they have.

I’m no duck hunter but these are cool so what is a ton of money that you say not to pay just curious?
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 11:44 AM

Beautiful decoy. Imagine the stories it could tell.

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:19 PM

[Linked Image]
From a collectors guide book I have published in 1990

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
Originally Posted by DRF

I’m no duck hunter but these are cool so what is a ton of money that you say not to pay just curious?

Varies from person to person I guess but any wooden decoy that has value and the owner knows it you prolly won’t see setting at a garage sale. I have some of the old paper mache decoys also but none with much value but cool decoys for display
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:27 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Don't know how rare it is but that is a really nice decoy. Wish it was mine! The pattern of the blue on the bill is kind of odd but that may be an identifier.

Please don't repaint it or clean it up. In doing so you will radically reduce the value. It has a few dings and stuff on it but that is due to it being used by a waterfowler in the Golden Age of Waterfowling. It is a fine example of that era and was held and used with pride by an old duck hunter. I have a lot of old decoys and each one has a story. I even have some that I learned to duck hunt over on Rush Lake in Wisconsin.

Moosetrot

Great Advice- I wouldn't recommend this either
[Linked Image]
grin
Posted By: SJA

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:49 PM

I was at a decoy show in Easton this summer. The prices were unreal. A Curlew decoy listed at $135,000! Miniature Mallard dekes -$ 35,000. It was quite a show. :-)
Posted By: Rob & Neall

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:51 PM

I was at a decoy show this past weekend, here on the shore, and handled a Merganser decoy priced at 38k....some have gone at auction over 6 figures...it's according to carver, time frame, location of carver and there are a few other variables.

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 12:59 PM

[Linked Image]
These guys can be very valuable also.
Posted By: Mack

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
I have a Mason bluebill don't think this is one, bill and paint is different. Lot's of decoy makers out there.

I agree! I have a number of Mason bluebills and there is a similarity to this decoy but the shape and color of the bill is different on this one.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 06:57 PM

Might be Hobby Lobby crap or some of that ilk!
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 10:48 PM

not mason -possibly hayes
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Duck Decoy ID? - 09/18/23 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Great Advice- I wouldn't recommend this either
[Linked Image]
grin

Actually a lot of companies and carvers made and sold trinket boxes
© 2024 Trapperman Forums