Home

Neck Knife

Posted By: oil sac

Neck Knife - 09/12/23 05:35 PM

Who sells or makes small knives and sheath with leather string for around the neck.
Thanks.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 05:43 PM

You could try Track of the Wolf or Crazy Crow Trading Post.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 05:46 PM

historical or modern?
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 06:26 PM

Something like this?

[Linked Image]

Web sites like DLT, Knivesshipfree, Blade HQ, The Knife center is where you'll want to look for neck knives.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 06:42 PM

[Linked Image]

I just forged this knife for my oldest All Purpose Boy jr.(age 6) It was used Saturday to dress his very first deer, a nice forkhorn he .243'd. I am making a Kydex neck sheath for it soon, hunter orange color.

ps.....the magic marker arrow on the spike antler handle was for reference when mounting the handle. It has been removed for days.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 06:58 PM

J.Morse -

Perfect! That's a nice-looking knife. Post another picture with a quarter or something so I can tell size? I've seen various sizes of antler rosettes so I can't quite tell what size it is. Thanks. Looks great!

Jack
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 07:03 PM

For kayaking, rope and harness roofs, and brand new calf ropers tied hard and fast for the first time, I think a neck knife comes to bare quicker than about anything. I just use the inexpensive little CRKT minimalist rigs but I added a very light duty bungie to keep the sheath close to a shirt button so it could never bounce up into my face.

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 07:05 PM

I haven't yet used it to cut the tail of a bull rope or a flank strap that someone hooked an overly aggressive rowel in but it might happen someday.
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 07:06 PM

You might try Chad Matthews Old South Forge Handmade Primitive Knives
[Linked Image]

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
J.Morse -

Perfect! That's a nice-looking knife. Post another picture with a quarter or something so I can tell size? I've seen various sizes of antler rosettes so I can't quite tell what size it is. Thanks. Looks great!

Jack

Thank you Jack! The knife is at my All Purpose Boy's house for a bit longer......he's hoping the grandson dresses another deer (doe hunt) this weekend. To give the photo reference, the blade is near exactly 3 inches long. I'll put a picture up when I get the Kydex sheath made. I have never made anything with Kydex to date, but I have bought near all I need to try it soon. The steel was from an old file. I'm not a knife maker, I just love playing on my forge and anvil sometimes.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

Thank you Jack! The knife is at my All Purpose Boy's house for a bit longer......he's hoping the grandson dresses another deer (doe hunt) this weekend. To give the photo reference, the blade is near exactly 3 inches long. I'll put a picture up when I get the Kydex sheath made. I have never made anything with Kydex to date, but I have bought near all I need to try it soon. The steel was from an old file. I'm not a knife maker, I just love playing on my forge and anvil sometimes.

kydex is not hard to work with
you get it to leather , it flops around like a sheet of leather at this temp , then fold around your blade , press and let cool

this one was actually a reheat of one my son did several years ago , the knife he had used it with was a folder and he has moved on to other knives so I reheated and stuffed this mora in it I got for 2 dollar at a garage sale
works well only 3 rivets in ir I might never get it out if the 4th was in but I drilled the hole incase I needed to do a chicago screw with a rubber spacer at some point.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Don Adams
You might try Chad Matthews Old South Forge Handmade Primitive Knives
[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful
Posted By: Mac86

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 08:21 PM

Look into the CRKT Minimilist. I don’t wear it around my neck but I do carry it in my pocket and sometimes forget it’s even there. A great little knife that I’ve used for many different occasions.

Re: Neck Knife - 09/12/23 09:30 PM

Thanks G C Pete
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 12:10 AM

I have a crkt 2 maybe 2 1/2 in. blade easy for a chubby old guy to get to surprising how many people this little knife spooks
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 12:40 AM

This is a patch knife that he has available now. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wptourist

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 12:47 AM

[Linked Image]

If you want a classic look. I had a local knife maker make one out of a long spring. Turned out very nice

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 01:47 AM

Oh yeah that is purdy punchy lookin!
Posted By: Bearcub

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 02:19 AM

I Have a Forge , I Do Custom Orders
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 11:23 PM

I traded a guy in TN some bow staves to make me a neck knife from a Newhouse spring I gave him. Awesome knife but I could never get used to it? Didn't bother me in winter but with only a t shirt on, it drove me crazy. Lol. Those are some good looking knives btw.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Neck Knife - 09/13/23 11:51 PM

I` started wearing a neck knife in1970 (SE Asia). For the past two years it has been a CRKT Minimalist #2384K.Handy and holds a good edge.
Roy
© 2024 Trapperman Forums