Home

Governor cancels 2nd amendment

Posted By: Marty

Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:02 AM

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days in the midst of a spate of gun violence.

The Democratic governor said she is expecting legal challenges but felt compelled to act in response to gun deaths, including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.

The firearms suspension is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates that only the Albuquerque area currently meets. Police and licensed security guards are exempt from the temporary ban.

The order calls for “civil administrative penalties availably by law" that include a fine of up to $5,000, said Caroline Sweeney, a spokeswoman for the governor.

People with concealed carry permits are still allowed transport guns to some private locations such as a gun range or gun store — provided that the firearm has a trigger lock or some other container or mechanism that makes it impossible to discharge, under terms of the order.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...1eee0f9df014a8ea6581ed8cf2626af&ei=3

This is why the libs want/encourage lawlessness.....

smile
Posted By: Ltrman

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:07 AM

Unconstitutional.....you cannot suspend the 2nd amendment
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:07 AM

Idiot
Posted By: DWC

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:13 AM

Is this a money making opportunity? Go down there, carry, get arrested, then sue the pants off that state, pd, whoever.

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:21 AM

It would be interesting to see what the state constitution says about the governor's emergency powers....
Posted By: SJA

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ltrman
Unconstitutional.....you cannot suspend the 2nd amendment

Correct. However, a State Gov. or the State Legislature MAY restrict the wearing, carrying, or possession of firearms in public places until challenged and overturned in a Court of Law. . . . e. g. State of Maryland. mad
Posted By: Posco

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:28 AM

She's a Democrat. Exactly what you would expect.

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:03 AM

Great plan, let criminal violence get out of control/encourage it with no punishment and then disarm the law abiding people... smile because, well we need to do something..

molon labe
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:18 AM

Obviously that person does not know what the word infringe means !!
As well as who knows of any criminal following any rules to not do something ??
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:22 AM

Nothing will happen when it's over until these politicians are held accountable, they will keep pulling this crap!
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 08:12 AM

I guess this POS thinks the Constitution is just an outdated piece of paper!!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:00 AM

I feel that she's some sort of special ! As mentioned before I'm certain the criminals will leave their guns at home about the time pigs start flying out of her ???
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:20 AM

Albuquerque is as violent as Memphis Chicago St Louis. Its bad and getting worse.

Grisham wants to ban them in the whole state. NM recently passed a law that says if your firearm is stolen, then used in a crime, you are criminally liable.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 11:25 AM

It's a test to see if she can get by with it without any pushback. If she does then more Democrat governors will "suspend" the 2nd ammendment. Then the federal government will suspend the 2nd. We are living in very dangerous times. The democrats are indicting the entire republican and conservative leadership. They are putting people in jail for not even committing a crime. Look what they are doing to the j6ers. It's unconstitutional but there is no pushback so now they arrested someone who wasn't even there and put him in jail for what 26 years? Everyone seems to be worried about the wrong thing. Trump is correct, "they are coming after us". They will get us one at a time. So far they have arrested and held in prison for over 3 years with no trial and no bail over 1100 people from j6. Congress just authorized enough money for the justice department to arrest another 7500 people. We are being taken over by the communists with our own tax money. I suppose the Justice department will be knocking on my door soon. They know who we are and how we vote.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Albuquerque is as violent as Memphis Chicago St Louis. Its bad and getting worse.

Grisham wants to ban them in the whole state. NM recently passed a law that says if your firearm is stolen, then used in a crime, you are criminally liable.

If I lived in NM I would "sell or lose " all my weapons and NEVER report one as being stolen. There is no pushback by we the people so they just get bolder and bolder!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Obviously that person does not know what the word infringe means !!
As well as who knows of any criminal following any rules to not do something ??

Exactly
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 12:15 PM

Maybe the emergency order should be no democrats can carry! cool
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 12:18 PM

When politicians are hanging from overpasses maybe they will get the message.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 12:19 PM

New Mexico democrats are corrupt!!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 12:54 PM

So her answer to the problem of armed criminals running rampant is to take away the firearms of the honest folks??? A real brainiac ain't she.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:01 PM

The demonrats never follow the US Constitution.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Guss

Why would they? There are no consequences for not following it.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:32 PM

Mass noncompliance is the answer.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:40 PM

I need some emergency yard work done... Can we temporarily suspend the 13th amendment too?

Mike

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:42 PM

I think it's time to stop shipments of food and necessities to these violent cities. Just for craps and giggles.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

20,000+ armed patriots peacefully protesting at the state capital maybe.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 01:53 PM

I think it's time to stop shipments of food and necessities to these violent cities. Just for craps and giggles.

That would put all the farmers out of buisness
Akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:07 PM

Heard some local LE heads say the won’t enforce it but State will.

We’ll see how that back the blue stuff works out.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:12 PM

I been saying that for years.

The back the blue thing works as long as they stick to the oath they have sworn. Once they quit doing that, in my book they have then joined the gang of thugs running rampant and will not be treated differently
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 02:29 PM

2nd amendment has been canceled in the entire US for a long time.

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spike369
It's a test to see if she can get by with it without any pushback. If she does then more Democrat governors will "suspend" the 2nd ammendment. Then the federal government will suspend the 2nd. We are living in very dangerous times. The democrats are indicting the entire republican and conservative leadership. They are putting people in jail for not even committing a crime. Look what they are doing to the j6ers. It's unconstitutional but there is no pushback so now they arrested someone who wasn't even there and put him in jail for what 26 years? Everyone seems to be worried about the wrong thing. Trump is correct, "they are coming after us". They will get us one at a time. So far they have arrested and held in prison for over 3 years with no trial and no bail over 1100 people from j6. Congress just authorized enough money for the justice department to arrest another 7500 people. We are being taken over by the communists with our own tax money. I suppose the Justice department will be knocking on my door soon. They know who we are and how we vote.

yup
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:48 PM

The ABQ is indeed a dump. However, most of the liberal BS on guns and oil and gas comes out of Santa Fe--in my experience. Of course there are hippies, indians and other welfare cases throughout a lot of the state that vote democrat. Eastern portion is pretty reliably red.

I'm about to start moving dirt for a gun range at my new place in NM. I'll report it first on Tman if anyone screws with me over it. I will not be complying with any unconstitutional nonesense.
Posted By: TravC

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau

20,000+ armed patriots peacefully protesting at the state capital maybe.

Even republicans wore masks and ate outside
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 04:06 PM

And all you Dems keep voting them in!! Proud of yourselves yet???

You and your party want to abolish the 2nd amendment.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by greggsinthehouse
And all you Dems keep voting them in!! Proud of yourselves yet???

You and your party want to abolish the 2nd amendment.

Democrats want to eliminate the 2nd, Republicans want to restrict it. Both want to violate the constitution.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 05:11 PM

That's the great thing about America. They make laws, that we just ignore anyway.

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

I been saying that for years.

The back the blue thing works as long as they stick to the oath they have sworn. Once they quit doing that, in my book they have then joined the gang of thugs running rampant and will not be treated differently

I took an oath as city councilman.....I am not sure I can allow unconstitutional acts by any law enforcement in my city, and unsure how to enforce that....without getting killed.

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

That's the great thing about America. They make laws, that we just ignore anyway.

If we do things that are no legal....enough....they'll become legal...like smoking pot......I'm gonna start smoking a bald eagle once in a while, until it becomes legal.
Posted By: Bob Samuelson

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 07:15 PM

There is this document called the Constitution that she needs to read! Until 2A is repealed on a national level she has overstepped her authority, biggly!
Posted By: white17

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:15 PM

I don't always agree with this guy but I believe he is generally pro-Constitution. He is sort of an anomaly like Dershowitz

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/09/...albuquerque-for-public-health-emergency/
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Guss

They do not listen to the Supreme Court either. The Supreme Court ruled against Bailing out Student Loans and Hair Sniffer continues to do it anyway!!!
Posted By: Posco

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I don't always agree with this guy but I believe he is generally pro-Constitution. He is sort of an anomaly like Dershowitz

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/09/...albuquerque-for-public-health-emergency/

A liberal with integrity?
Posted By: white17

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 09:50 PM

Strange as it seems
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 10:05 PM

I cant stand = democrats
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 10:13 PM

I seriously doubt LE is going to enforce any of it. They likely wont speak against it except maybe sherriffs. There will be some rain maker lawsuits if guns are confiscated or people arrested.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/09/23 10:56 PM

This big talk about what The LEO oath takers will do has been talked about before and at that time they fell in line and did what they were told.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/10/23 12:15 AM

She should be impeach Ed and giving a cell at Gitmo.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/10/23 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

That would put all the farmers out of buisness
Akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

A lot of farmers are a sneeze away from being out of business already. Sure, there is a lot of money that goes through their hands in the process of farming, but not much of it stays with them. The only real equity that they possess is the value of the land they own, as long as it isn't over-leveraged by their bank.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/10/23 02:27 PM

It will be interesting to see if the crime rate goes down. Let's try capital punishment for 90 days. JMO
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Governor cancels 2nd amendment - 09/10/23 02:48 PM

Since cops already know who is responsible for all the shootings, if she really wanted to put a stop to it she ought to declare martial law and start rounding up the usual suspects. Would actually accomplish something useful while gaining support of those she has now alienated.

If she wanted to put a stop to it......

BTW, was passing thru Albuquerque last fall. Downtown area was a ghost town. Went eat at a famous pizza place and they had armed guards standing over watch in the parking lot. If violence remains bad, it is because they have allowed it. Dog House from "Better call Saul" is a real place.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums