Home

Are wild hogs in Illinois?

Posted By: martentrapper

Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 08:16 PM

Have 2 cousins on middle, north/south wise farms. One near Scott AFB. The other at the eastern side near Effingham. They say no hogs there. Doesn't Missouri have them?
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 08:24 PM

We have them here. Not over abundance but we have them
Posted By: furlover

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 08:27 PM

We have quite a few in Southwest Missouri
Posted By: Guss

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 08:39 PM

I like bbq let them come to wis con sin. Something else to hunt beside deer.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Have 2 cousins on middle, north/south wise farms. One near Scott AFB. The other at the eastern side near Effingham. They say no hogs there. Doesn't Missouri have them?

If there are hogs way south I’m 30 miles north the way the crow flies of Scott AFB
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Guss

I think it would be better if you started a go fund me so we could send you south to hunt them than invite that kind of crop damage here.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I think it would be better if you started a go fund me so we could send you south to hunt them than invite that kind of crop damage here.

X2
Posted By: Backwater Run

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 10:43 PM

Go to Texas. No license required. No limit. If it's a legal weapon you can use it to hunt them. Just make sure you have permission to hunt the property. Many people will welcome you.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 10:56 PM

The state says they arent here, but then puts a law in effect that you can only shoot a wild hog during shotgun deer season and only if you have an unfilled shotgun tag. Claims if we shoot the hogs that dont exist then the professionals will have a harder time eradicating the hogs that dont exist.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84
The state says they arent here, but then puts a law in effect that you can only shoot a wild hog during shotgun deer season and only if you have an unfilled shotgun tag. Claims if we shoot the hogs that dont exist then the professionals will have a harder time eradicating the hogs that dont exist.

now that is true ILL policy , flawed in every way

WI said we might have a pocket of them that are escapees here and there and we want to make sure they never take hold

if you have any hunting or trapping license even a small game you may shoot them

I think they did that to do something to make wardens happy that you can't just be out hunting coyotes or hogs with no license at all so you are bound by the game laws of whatever hunting license you are under

but if your at granny's house having not purchased any license for the year say it is and a coyote or hog wanders into her yard as long as it is not in town , shoot it and say granny shot it and keep your mouth shut call it land owner privilege
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 11:36 PM

They did that because in states that allow year-round feral hog hunting there usually is a human-assisted hog population increases.

So, remove the legal opportunity to hunt em and folks don't have the incentive to "move em around" and stock new areas.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/04/23 11:47 PM

They can stay in the deep south I don’t want them any closer.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

They did that because in states that allow year-round feral hog hunting there usually is a human-assisted hog population increases.

So, remove the legal opportunity to hunt em and folks don't have the incentive to "move em around" and stock new areas.

Exactly. Ks had to go to special permit to shoot them instead open season on them because people were turning them loose to establish a population to hunt

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 12:30 AM

Farmers have crop insurance for that stuff.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 12:41 AM

Wildlife may not be covered under federal crop, I’ll have to ask an adjuster.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 12:42 AM

Farmers have crop insurance for that stuff.

that right there is the thinking killing this country from the inside

retail stores have insurance

you have auto insurance

you have home owners insurance

so people should steal your stuff , your car , burn your hosue , take your food and you should let them after all you have insurance
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 12:42 AM

If you are a landowner and don't have them--you shouldn't want them.

Shooting them is only fun for a while.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 01:31 AM

If you get hogs it’s a never ending battle to try and get rid of them. There’s a reason they’re trying to develop a poison that only affects hogs. I know of some boys that were catching pigs and relocating them. They nor their dogs didn’t fare to well when caught. Sometimes small town Justice trumps anything the law can do to you.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:06 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dad shot this one in 2014 in Brown county. Never saw one before that or after. No idea where it came from. It was the only one shot that season according to the DNR. It was (maybe still is?) only legal to shoot them during the gun deer seasons. This one was unlucky and wandered by during shotgun.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:09 AM

That pig looks like it has fur vs hair, lol.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:10 AM

[/quote]
Farmers have crop insurance for that stuff.[/quote]

We don't all carry crop insurance. I don't have it.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
That pig looks like it has fur vs hair, lol.

Yeah, she was well furred. Late November prime pig lol.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:25 AM

Say something about Ferrell wild hogs in dnr regs, open year round season or something about carry dieses , well they run off on sight u? Or attack sometimes ? Never to fond hogs. Rember get close be maul bfore an jump out pen
Posted By: Savell

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:36 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savell

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:40 AM

… we’ve had a lot less hogs since the big freeze… y’all should be alright up north.. seems the shoats don’t handle extended periods of cold too well

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 03:06 AM

Kind of like people having a house cat and letting it run outside!
An invasive species that doesn't belong there.
Here in Ohio some idiots , transplanted some just to hunt , now we have that invasive species in a few locations.
Use your head, it's like restocking wolves , be very careful where and you better be able to control them.
Posted By: justjosh

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 11:31 AM

Crop insurance doesn't cover my pasture or hay meadow that is torn up from hogs.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 01:04 PM

When hunting in WI several years back on a military base they had a wanted poster about wild pigs. It kind of surprised me because I never seen or heard of any wild pigs near the place.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 01:48 PM

Hogs used to be thick here. Now almost gone. USDA trappers have been staying on them hard - and it seems like half the rural homes now have a thermal equipped rifle. I have killed as many as 153 in six months. Killed two in the last 8 months. Have always had to fence my deer feeders. Not anymore.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
When hunting in WI several years back on a military base they had a wanted poster about wild pigs. It kind of surprised me because I never seen or heard of any wild pigs near the place.

I think some got out of a farm and they wanted them GONE that is about the time they made an emergency rule shoot if you have a license call for permission if you don't the next year it was in the regs maybe around 2005-2007

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by justjosh
Crop insurance doesn't cover my pasture or hay meadow that is torn up from hogs.

What do the farmers do down South? They deal with the hogs . Buy thoes big rounded traps get the son to shot them them donate the meat to a homeless shelter.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 03:35 PM

They are in Illinois but not very many. The last group I heard of was west of Vermont IL in the hills. After some local people shot a few they were told not to shoot them anymore - then the DNR started those rules mentioned earlier. the ones I have seen pictures of here are not wild Russian boar hogs. They have all been tame ones that got loose.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 04:10 PM

What do the farmers do down South? They deal with the hogs . Buy thoes big rounded traps get the son to shot them them donate the meat to a homeless shelter.

USDA has an on-going hog eradication program down here. One guy is assigned multiple counties. He is supplied traps, weapons, ammo, etc. They've even shot some from helicopters....but the hogs get wise to that and hit heavy cover fast. They also wise up to corral traps

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 04:42 PM

Swamp hit it…they wise up quick to corral traps. The first year or so we were stacking them up in the trap. Now you have to have a never seen sounder show up to get caught. What’s worse, is just that camera for the trap seems to run them off. I had an entire sounder coming in every night, we moved the hog camera there and they vacated the area.
On my ride through this morning I saw lots of tracks and even pigs ears in the field next to where the camera is. We’re going to bait it up hoping they’re used to it now. We’ll give it a week of feeding then out the trap up and see if they still come in.
You’d think running dogs would run them off, but generally that very evening they’re back on camera. I’ll continue my night treks taking out what I can. Heck, you’d think shooting almost a dozen at one general location would run them off, but the very next night they’re back on camera.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 05:45 PM

Farmer are rich! I pass by farms and see old tractors in the weeds ,I also see multiple tractors,big trucks trailers .all thoes things cost money! I don't want to hear we're poor.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 06:31 PM

Farmer are rich! I pass by farms and see old tractors in the weeds ,I also see multiple tractors,big trucks trailers .all thoes things cost money! I don't want to hear we're poor.

I've seen many farmers you described file for bankruptcy and have to sell everything.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/05/23 09:04 PM

That’s called broke down and no money to fix. To locate the rich -Look for blacktop driveways, landscaping, and electric candles in every window.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/06/23 12:36 AM

Sounds like you need to start your own farm. You obviously know more about it than I do. Now I need to find that fat bank account with all my money in it. The bank must have conveniently let me forget about it, they don't however let me forget about all the loans they gave me.

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/06/23 12:43 AM

The only thing is Savell pigs were raised in a-huts here in Iowa in some very cold weather the picture is of a wooden hut but a lot were metal round top later on, pigs are a very resilient animal they could almost be compared to a cockroach, that and you’re mean to interrupt that poor pig when he is having a cold lone star. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/06/23 12:44 AM

We have a few, every now and then one gets in the news,,,, but really not an established population,,, hopefully it stays that way
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/06/23 01:43 AM

I used to do just that in Alabama. After a while, you couldn't pay people to take the meat! I had three different places I'd donate the meat....then they started to require it be processed or they wouldn't take it. So every hog I donated, would cost me 200 bucks? Get out of here. No way. The only place I ever made a difference, were in small woodlots, usually in towns, where some (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) released some to "have something to hunt besides deer". As far as hunt clubs or farms I trapped, they would just move over to the next pine thicket where I couldn't go. Even my own pastures I couldn't get rid of them. Go hang a stand one evening, and the n3xt morning, get stuck in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) rootings in the same road. You have to be slap ignorant to think introducing wild hogs anywhere is a good idea.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Are wild hogs in Illinois? - 09/06/23 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Swamp hit it…they wise up quick to corral traps. The first year or so we were stacking them up in the trap. Now you have to have a never seen sounder show up to get caught. What’s worse, is just that camera for the trap seems to run them off. I had an entire sounder coming in every night, we moved the hog camera there and they vacated the area.
On my ride through this morning I saw lots of tracks and even pigs ears in the field next to where the camera is. We’re going to bait it up hoping they’re used to it now. We’ll give it a week of feeding then out the trap up and see if they still come in.
You’d think running dogs would run them off, but generally that very evening they’re back on camera. I’ll continue my night treks taking out what I can. Heck, you’d think shooting almost a dozen at one general location would run them off, but the very next night they’re back on camera.

I doubt that a camera ran off those hogs. Hogs are one of the most random roaming critter out there. They'll move miles away for no reason whatsoever. They do not have a home. They follow their stomachs, and are ate up with wanderlust.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums