Home

Dc has to pay up -not a joke

Posted By: rags57078

Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:29 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/08/28/dc-gun-settlement-second-amendment/

Click link for the whole story

D.C. will pay $5.1 million as part of a class-action settlement with gun owners who were arrested under laws that have since been found to violate the Second Amendment, according to the settlement agreement.
U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth gave preliminary approval to the settlement agreement on Monday following years of litigation. Lamberth had previously ruled in September 2021 that D.C. arrested, jailed, prosecuted and seized guns from six people “based on an unconstitutional set of laws” and violated their Second Amendment rights.

The laws — a ban on carrying handguns outside the home and others that effectively banned nonresidents from carrying guns at all in D.C. — have since been struck down in federal court. They were part of a “gun control regime that completely banned carrying handguns in public,” Lamberth wrote in the 2021 ruling.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:30 PM

Good!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:34 PM

Win/Lose. Win for 2A,,lose because they pay out with our own tax money.Thats why they don't care.They need jail time when denying our constitutional rights.Things would change then.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:38 PM

Glad it was overturned but as far as them “paying “…….
If it ain’t their money it doesn’t hurt much. If all they ever have to fear is
giving away taxpayer money, then they don’t have much to fear!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:44 PM

Remove qualified immunity and hold them accountable personally.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 10:45 PM

I agree about the top dogs that made that law spending time in jail. If I illegally seized someone's gun there would be jail time
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:01 PM

Nebraska just "legalized" (approved) concealed carry without a permit. AKA constitutional carry. Surrounding states of SoDak, Wyoming, KS already back constitutional carry so we are gaining
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Remove qualified immunity and hold them accountable personally.

Where’s the like button?

Spot on
Posted By: Guss

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:11 PM

Good
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
Glad it was overturned but as far as them “paying “…….
If it ain’t their money it doesn’t hurt much. If all they ever have to fear is
giving away taxpayer money, then they don’t have much to fear!

This
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:40 PM

I agree they should have some skin in the game as well. If I cost my employer several million I would be rightfully gone. Bet there would be a lot fewer frivolous laws being passed.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/30/23 11:46 PM

But they just keep on doing it over and over again look at IL with the bans that get overturned but they just keep doing it with no pushback.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/31/23 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
But they just keep on doing it over and over again look at IL with the bans that get overturned but they just keep doing it with no pushback.

Yup, it ain't t their money!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/31/23 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Nebraska just "legalized" (approved) concealed carry without a permit. AKA constitutional carry. Surrounding states of SoDak, Wyoming, KS already back constitutional carry so we are gaining

You forgot Iowa. Constitutional carry here too.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/31/23 11:40 AM

GoodDeal
Posted By: goatman

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/31/23 12:07 PM

I'm confused. Just what is the District of Columbia? It ain't a state. And what laws govern it? Is it a corporation?
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Dc has to pay up -not a joke - 08/31/23 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by goatman
I'm confused. Just what is the District of Columbia? It ain't a state. And what laws govern it? Is it a corporation?

I've pondered that off and on over the years along with who is the Federal Reserve. I came to the conclusion that I am a pawn and that if I must ask, then I don't need to know, lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums