Home

Homemade drags for wolves

Posted By: LR5Ranger

Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 02:34 PM

Hi all, new to trapping, new to the forums and excited to be here!

I’m busy getting all my equipment ready for the season here in Idaho, and I’m planning on putting out a couple dozen wolf sets. Im hoping to run mostly drags as I’m mostly trapping in pretty thick timber and thickets. I’ve made some with rebar, but thought I might want a little more weight. This latest batch is made out of 1-1/4 x 1/2 bar. 18 inch shank, the hooks are 8 inches. Total weight just over 8 lbs each. Are these tough/heavy enough to hook a wolf? How do they deal with the heavy snow we get here in the Idaho panhandle? Would a better option be to chain the trap to a tree come January? I have a bunch if the MB earth anchors, but I’m not sure if that will hold a big wolf, at least until the ground freezes. Even then they have #2 chain and I’m concerned about a chew out..

Due to forest road closures I haven't been up scouting as much as I could, but I’m trying to get everything ready to go this week. I appreciate any input!

Attached picture 1F98DFD0-20C3-43DD-A896-B93B3193C02D.jpeg
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 04:03 PM

I prefer all of my land sets on drags and those look good. If you are ever in doubt, just add a few more feet of chain. The longer the chain the more the drag cuts the corners and hangs up and the longer the chain the better it stays on the ground.

Good luck, we all look forward to some catch pictures next season.

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 04:09 PM

I look forward to taking some catch photos! Planning on 10 feet of #7 chain with 3 swivels, is this enough or should I go for 13-15 feet?

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 04:39 PM

Without looking at your local terrain, I am inclined to say yes 10 ft should work. I often use less but I understand that if I ever manage to snag a lion he might climb on me which would make dispatch a little more sporting. cool
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 06:21 PM

Are you going to be carrying those to your sets on your back? Closed roads and wolf traps with long chains and heavy drags is a tough combination
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 07:37 PM

Super stakes will hold a wolf. I usually catch and release a few each year with earth anchors.

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Are you going to be carrying those to your sets on your back? Closed roads and wolf traps with long chains and heavy drags is a tough combination

No, planning on trapping out of a 4 wheeler and Jeep until the snow gets too deep, and then via snow machine. These things are 90 lbs for a dozen, I’m not about to load up those plus chain, traps etc. in my rucksack and try to snowshoe in!

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Super stakes will hold a wolf. I usually catch and release a few each year with earth anchors.

Good to know, do you just pound the stake in so the #2 chain is buried? How much chain do you run between the anchor and the trap?
Posted By: Machias

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/29/23 10:02 PM

Welcome, I recommend going over to the Idaho Chat section. There is some really good folks there and some great wolf trappers. Those drags look plenty stout enough. Good luck this season and be safe!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/30/23 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by LR5Ranger
Originally Posted by 20scout

Good to know, do you just pound the stake in so the #2 chain is buried? How much chain do you run between the anchor and the trap?

My standard coyote set up is an MB550 with an extra swivel and 16" of #2 chain attached to the Super Stake. I always weld my j-hooks just for this reason.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/30/23 11:34 AM

You can always use #3 chain if concerned about holding strength.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/30/23 11:40 AM

Idea: a guy could do some preseason scouting and drop a drag with attached chain off nearby hidden in the brush where he expects to make a set.
Posted By: jk

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/30/23 12:04 PM

As MChewk said and photo the spot so you can find it easy later. When I hide things I have trouble finding them, even trail cameras......Welcome......jk

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/30/23 03:11 PM

That’s a good idea, I’ve been planning on doing this with my bobcat cubbies but they closed the main access roads to my trapping area due to a fire we have in close proximity. I’ll probably get out there next week, it just makes a 30 minute trip into a 2 hour each way one. 😒 I have kids in sports so it’s been hard to drag myself away for an entire day.

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/31/23 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Idea: a guy could do some preseason scouting and drop a drag with attached chain off nearby hidden in the brush where he expects to make a set.

IDFG will pick them up and confiscate them if they find them. Give you a littering ticket for gear in the woods out of season. They pull that nonsense every year. If they only spent that kind of effort cracking down on poachers.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/31/23 10:09 PM

Sneaky that got to find them first....lol
I do that with some of the areas where I beaver trap every season...big heavy railroad tie plates, truck brake drums. etc...even rebar stakes.
If you don't that that stuff is there ...you don't even know where to start looking.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 08/31/23 10:18 PM

Wow! You got a lot of work into grinding those tips! They'll work!

MB chain stakes will hold just fine. Most ID wolves weigh far less than the internet would have you believe. The #2 chain is unlikely to be the weakest part of the setup, but you could certainly upgrade to larger chain.

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 09/01/23 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Sneaky that got to find them first....lol
I do that with some of the areas where I beaver trap every season...big heavy railroad tie plates, truck brake drums. etc...even rebar stakes.
If you don't that that stuff is there ...you don't even know where to start looking.

You get to trap a lot of private ground too, though. We are mostly on public and you'd be surprised at where berry pickers, dog walkers, small game hunters, and pot smoking hippies show up. Just ask Jumper about them lol. They're the ones who either steal the gear, or turn it in. The wardens have a pretty good idea of who is working in what area. Process of elimination I guess. Like I say, if only they put in that effort for poachers they'd get somewhere lol.

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 09/01/23 11:43 AM

Sounds like speed traps, it's all about raising revenue.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Homemade drags for wolves - 09/03/23 04:39 AM

You’re never gonna catch anything with those.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums