Home

Northern Trapping Methods

Posted By: Bigwaterducker

Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 12:01 AM

I moved up to Wisconsin from the South. Have a lot to learn. There any books or videos that cover trapping methods for the snow and ice? I run both water lines and farmland areas.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 12:20 AM

My suggestion is to attend the WTA convention and take in as many demos as you can. Watch, ask questions and take notes.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 12:22 AM

Which part of Wisconsin you residing in?
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 12:24 AM

I have trapped south in state and the northern part there is a big difference between the two lots of farm country in southern and lots of timber in north wood’s definitely attending Wta convention in two weeks would be best
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 12:26 AM

Start making wax sand/dirt for trapping,snow will teach you a lot,tracks don't lie.Good luck and stay warm over the winter.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Which part of Wisconsin you residing in?

This makes a huge difference in dry land trapping. Ag land or big woods. The last few winters have been a challenge. Lots of freeze, thaw, rain, freeze, repeat in the south. Followed by a week or two of bitter cold. Buy good waders, and be very careful on ice. The creeks I trap can have ice from a foot thick to open water in 50 feet depending on current flow and sunlight.

Originally Posted by rick olson
Start making wax sand/dirt for trapping,snow will teach you a lot,tracks don't lie.Good luck and stay warm over the winter.

Yes, snow can be humbling in how it teaches you. Nothing for days then so many tracks you'll wonder how you didn't catch anything.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 05:23 AM

Once freeze up sets in you can pile up the fur in short order.
The land animals really start moving in early winter,they have to to keep up their body heat by eating a lot more.
Make sure you have good bait and lots of it.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 05:54 AM

Snares a good choice in deep snow if legal in WI. Read up on that.

I have a couple of beaver snaring under ice videos in my signature if you get into hard water.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/27/23 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Snares a good choice in deep snow if legal in WI. Read up on that.

I have a couple of beaver snaring under ice videos in my signature if you get into hard water.

Only legal if half the snare is under water.
Posted By: Bigwaterducker

Re: Northern Trapping Methods - 08/28/23 03:35 AM

Green Bay area.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums