Home

Trap Tag requirements

Posted By: randall brannon

Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 12:49 PM

In WV we do not have to put our Name and address on our Traps or Snares. We can use our DNR ID number. I know that makes us safer from Tree Hugger Fanatics. What about other states. I think Wisconsin where I am about to move to allows the ID Number as well.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 12:54 PM

Idaho is either/or...

Jack
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by randall brannon
In WV we do not have to put our Name and address on our Traps or Snares. We can use our DNR ID number. I know that makes us safer from Tree Hugger Fanatics. What about other states. I think Wisconsin where I am about to move to allows the ID Number as well.

MD just went to this for WCO only.
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:03 PM

WA allows use of Wild ID number ( number assigned by WDFW ) in place of Name, saves be harassed by tree hugging bunny snugglers
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:05 PM

We had the requirement to tag our traps and snares, but it was removed a number of years back. If I recall correctly the tags were to have either make/address or your DL #. I went with my DL#.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:32 PM

Either/or in PA.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:55 PM

Nevada was once 4 digit numbers, now it’s Name and address, but you can use a PO Box address.

Utah and Arizona were still numbers a couple years ago when I last trapped there.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 01:59 PM

We have had a trap tag requirement here since early 1990s. We worked with G&P through meetings and education. Same with NFH state members. I was very good friends with the then fur bearer biologist Frank Andelt. Frank was a great guy. When we invited him to the fur harvesters convention. I was helping host the convention that year with my friend Terry. That year it was in Crete NE. Frank came and talked about the trap tag issue that was being considered at the commission. Other states had it in place then. We were new to it.
The room was very divided. Many were against it for whatever reasons. Some didn’t like their personal info on a tag. Some didn’t like it who were long liners working bridges and ditches. There were questions about trapping public land with personal info. Bill Rudy I remember was adamant against it and really laid into my friend Mr. Andelt about it too. I personally was very OK with tags, and let Frank know that I’m front of everyone. It might help a CO help me ID a trap thief if caught. My landowners liked it because of the found a trap in their field and it had my tag on it, no problem. But someone else’s tag who didn’t have permission, that’s an issue. Traps with no tags would be illegal sets.
I ended up walking out of the room and hanging out with Ludy Sheda while that meeting churned on. Didn’t like my friend being grilled over something that everyone was going to get like it or not. FYI was last year I was a member of NFH after that too. Thought about rejoining now that the old regime is no longer running the show. Need to be convinced it won’t turn into that again though, I was disappointed in that.
Long story short we got trap tag laws that year and have had them ever since. No issues that I am aware of. I tag all my traps and snares. My landowners like the ID system. Don’t break the rules and it won’t be a problem, right?
Lots of ways to attach them. Copper tags are way more durable than the cheap zinc write on tags. But where you install them matters. Some states require them to be visible. Some do not. I riveted mine to bottom of frame on some coon traps…and those live on the trap a very long time. Not much chewing goes on the bottoms of the frame. Loose attached to a chain they get mangled sometimes have to be replaced. CO told me once if he can’t read it, it’s not a legit tag in his mind.
Happy to answer questions via PM.
We are either DL or a state ID.
Jim
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 02:10 PM

Since the 1920s I believe name and address
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 02:42 PM

I believe either in NY.
I've always had all my info on my tags and never had a problem.
I can see putting just your trapper ID# in case you move within the same state, that way you don't have the wrong info
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 02:46 PM

MN is either or also.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 03:03 PM

Mississippi is a number assigned when get your first license and remains with you for life.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 03:46 PM

Name on tag here...
tree huggers win
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 04:02 PM

You are correct about Wisconsin. Let us know when you get here. Welcome!
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 04:13 PM

Thankfully we are not required to tag traps in Louisiana except for nwco work
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 04:18 PM

Is this new for WVa?
Thought it was always name and address.
Thx
Posted By: Guss

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 05:11 PM

In Wisconsin and you can use you dnr # on your traps.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 05:23 PM

Either/Or if n VA. Eric
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 05:26 PM

Name and address here. mad

Trap tags are NOTHING but a money maker for the DNR. They are not good for anything! They should not be required in any state. They do not prove ownership. They do not prove who set the trap/snare. None of that. No one needs to know who's trap is set anywhere legally. No one needs to EVER touch any legally set trap. If they are set illegally then the DNR needs to be called and they need to deal with it. Like I said the tag doesn't prove who set the trap and the DNR either needs to confiscate the trap or set on it until someone comes to tend it. Until they see you, with the trap, there is no way to prove you set it there. Many times traps are stolen and relocated with your tags on them. Thieves aren't smart. No way the DNR deserves any revenue for this.

We have to even have tags on traps in the truck while in the "act of trapping". Another crock. I've had them dig through piles of traps in my truck looking for one that lost it's tag so they can write me up. More BS.

Add to that the anti wackos out there getting your name and address and it's clearly a stupid law to require their use.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 05:49 PM

If you are allowed to have ID tags on them do it. Here in Idaho, a fellow picked up a trap illegally and brought it into the Fish and Game office and said he wanted something done about it since it was illegally set. Man was he in for a surprise when a Conservation Officer showed him the Idaho Fish and Game tag on the trap. The trap was actually set on his neighbors property for a beaver problem. The fellow got an ear beating but no fine. Wish I could have heard that conversation.
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 06:00 PM

No tag at all here in IN
Posted By: bad karma

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
[

WCO's have had to do this since forever. All trappers must tag now except on your own or rented land.

"Furbearer Trapping
Regulations
• NEW–Anyone who uses a snare, trap or
another similar device to capture wildlife must include their DNRid number
either stamped on the device or affixed
by metal tag. Any trap placed on private
property that is owned or rented by the
person placing the device, is exempt from
this requirement"
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 07:22 PM

No requirements for tags in SD.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Mississippi is a number assigned when get your first license and remains with you for life.

Same in Georgia, five digits. Can be tag or stamped onto the trap. Got a Northwoods #2 here that the previous owner stamped the pan.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 08:20 PM

In Michigan it's either name and address, or MI driver's license #, or DNR Sportcard #.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/26/23 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Is this new for WVa?
Thx

Been like this for 6-7 years.

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by bad karma
[

WCO's have had to do this since forever. All trappers must tag now except on your own or rented land.

"Furbearer Trapping
Regulations
this requirement"

Guess I'll be ordering tags with both MD and WV ID#s.

LOL, going from none to 2.

Hmmm, wonder if I can get by with one tag with both states' ID numbers.

Say, MD XXXXX on.top.line,
then WV XXXXXXX under it???

Both on.same tag?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 01:15 AM

WI all you need is DNR#

I have mine , sons and my cell# on my tags

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 05:31 AM

Is this new for WVa?
Thx

No the manual states that you can use your WV DNR ID number.

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 11:04 AM

Is this new for WVa?
Thx

No the manual states that you can use your WV DNR ID number.

I know the WV 2023-2024 says you can use ID, but something I saw last season, 2022-2023, said name and address. That's why I was asking if it was new.

[Linked Image]

Looking at it closer, not official DNR publication, but WV Sportsmen website, so may have been.dated/ wrong info.

Either way, since I'm going to.have to.start using tags here, will add WV ID # and maybe VA too, since Im.getting them.made up
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 10:52 PM

ADC is right. Tags don’t prove anything. Great way for anti’s to frame an otherwise legal trapper.
No requirement in Alaska.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/27/23 11:20 PM

Having tags with ID numbers on them has been a help to me on several occasions.

Trespassing dog-walkers are a big problem here in southeast PA where I trap. They all seem to think it's perfectly okay to walk with their dogs down any farm lane they feel like walking on. None have ever had permission, most don't even know the landowners name.

It leads to non-target catches. Traps get smashed and stolen. The usual nasty notes get left; "I'm calling the cops and the Game Commission and reporting your illegal traps." "Your paying our vet bills" even though no non-target has ever been injured.

One one occasion I left a note for the trespasser suggesting he use the ID number on the traps he stole when he reports my "illegally set traps" to the PGC. I told him they would know who I am. The moron did it and the next day a game warden and deputy showed up at his house, retrieved my traps and issued him citations totaling almost a thousand dollars. They returned my traps to me.

On another occasion I had a knock on my door one evening. It was my local game warden and deputy and they had one of my traps. Another trespassing dog-walker couple had called them. The first thing the LEO's did was go to the landowner and asked if the dog walkers had permission to be there. He told them they did not and ask would they please prosecute them. They ask him if I had permission and he told them I was the only person with permission to be on his property.

There have been several other such incidents where tags have worked in my favor.

I understand the potential for tagged traps to be used against you by anti's and Johnny Sneakums. I don't think that could happen to me. The local game wardens and deputies have known me for a long time. They know I am a legal and ethical trapper and would have my back in a scenario like that.

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bad karma
[

"Furbearer Trapping
Regulations
this requirement"

Is this found in the Hunting and Trapping 23-24 guide?

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 05:27 PM

Yup to above

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 05:44 PM

Love the exemption. lol

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 05:57 PM

Love the exemption. lol

Figured you'd appreciate Sponge Bob!

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 06:15 PM

Love the exemption. lol

Figured you'd appreciate Sponge Bob!

Actually I figure I can rent the 25 sqft I’m gonna put the traps on pretty cheap. lol
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 07:25 PM

It's either/or in Missouri.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/28/23 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
It's either/or in Missouri.

I've heard that too. whistle

Re: Trap Tag requirements - 08/29/23 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by BigBob