Home

DP Traps

Posted By: Hornady Reloader

DP Traps - 08/25/23 09:59 PM

I am a fan of a push/pull trigger for dp's. But the FB1 traps are great for setting but a pain to maintain after a catch because a big coon will bend them out of adjustments. And I can no longer get the Coon daggers. Any other dps that are a push/pull trigger?
Posted By: Guss

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 10:03 PM

I use dukes.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 10:05 PM

Z-trap has a push/pull dog proof trap. You might want to take a look at them.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 10:57 PM

Z-traps my go to

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
I use dukes.

Didn't know they were push/pull

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Z-trap has a push/pull dog proof trap. You might want to take a look at them.

I was looking at them. F&T is out with an unknown delivery date. Hoping to find and American made.

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 11:20 PM

Yes totally agree on American made but had same issues you did and started using these and been working great
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 11:30 PM

Never had bait stolen till tried some push pull triggers y’all can have them. Dukes work fine but still like the original grizz trap best.

Re: DP Traps - 08/25/23 11:32 PM

I really liked the coon daggers that you can’t get anymore very little bait robbery with circle trigger

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:30 AM

The only reason I like push pull triggers are because I like to take out as many Racoons possums and skunks I can
Posted By: Ed Patrick

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:41 AM

Midway has Dukes but 15/ea if you buy a dozen plus shipping.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:42 AM

Im a fan of the original Grizz traps.Pull trigger only.I have both Grizz,,and Grizz grenades and have never had a problem with either one.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
The only reason I like push pull triggers are because I like to take out as many Racoons possums and skunks I can

I catch more cats in them so went to pull only.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 01:01 AM

I use pull only DP. I've caught plenty of coons, skunks, and opossums in them. The original grizz and dukes is what I use.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 02:57 AM

You can modify the triggers easily....

1. Cut the rivet with bolt cutters that holds the trigger and discard it.

2. Find a nail or bolt that will fit the three holes the rivet was removed from. (I drilled out the holes a hair and used a 30 penny nail)

3. clamp the dog of the trap into the vice and using the side of a small file, file a notch in the side like so (be sure its on this side of the dog)...

[Linked Image]

4. Clamp the dog in the vice so the hole is just below the top of the jaws and the notch is sticking up above the jaws. With pliers twist the end of the dog straight sideways, like so. (I heated mine with a small propane torch to insure it wouldn't crack) Be sure to twist it to the correct side....

[Linked Image]

5. Grind the tip of the piece that sticks out a little shorter so it can fall through the notch in the dog (not much).

6. reinstall the dog UPSIDE DOWN! If you reinstall it right side up it will not have room to push down to fire.

7. put a nut on (I'll tack weld mine. If you use a bolt, use a lock nut) or peen over the end so it can't go back through the holes.

[Linked Image]

Completed (minus the tack weld on the nut)...

[Linked Image]

The whole thing took like 5 min. and I wasn't hurrying.

~ADC~
Posted By: HayDay

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 08:25 AM

I am a fan of a push/pull trigger for dp's. But the FB1 traps are great for setting but a pain to maintain after a catch because a big coon will bend them out of adjustments. And I can no longer get the Coon daggers. Any other dps that are a push/pull trigger?

For this hard to find, no longer made stuff, know what you want, then keep an eye on ebay. Currently one lot of 10 used coon daggers for sale. Other offers of remaining new old stock of Z traps, which look like they are about to be gone for good. Also keep an eye on Trap Shed on Tman.

Past that, I see two issues at play. With fur market in the tank......sales of new traps down across the board, so supply drying up as trap makers die off or consolidate.......and could be traps with push/pull triggers are no longer dog or cat proof......so that feature may be going out of style as a bad feature to have.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 09:52 AM

Southeastern outdoors supplies says they still have z traps
Posted By: jalstat

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 11:04 AM

I have both but my grizzes and dukes are my go to trap,I haven’t seen much difference in the catch ratio if set equally. ADC that’s a slick modification right there

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:38 PM

Thanks guys. ADC nice work
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 12:46 PM

z traps here
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: DP Traps - 08/26/23 01:46 PM

Dukes are soft enough you can bend the trigger like ADC and cut notch in the lever and make it a push/pull. No need to even cut the rivet like ADC did. Same process just sped up. Isolate on the trigger where you want the bend with pliers and look at ADCs photos for notch cut. Simple and quick.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: DP Traps - 08/27/23 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
You can modify the triggers easily....

1. Cut the rivet with bolt cutters that holds the trigger and discard it.

2. Find a nail or bolt that will fit the three holes the rivet was removed from. (I drilled out the holes a hair and used a 30 penny nail)

3. clamp the dog of the trap into the vice and using the side of a small file, file a notch in the side like so (be sure its on this side of the dog)...

[Linked Image]

4. Clamp the dog in the vice so the hole is just below the top of the jaws and the notch is sticking up above the jaws. With pliers twist the end of the dog straight sideways, like so. (I heated mine with a small propane torch to insure it wouldn't crack) Be sure to twist it to the correct side....

[Linked Image]

5. Grind the tip of the piece that sticks out a little shorter so it can fall through the notch in the dog (not much).

6. reinstall the dog UPSIDE DOWN! If you reinstall it right side up it will not have room to push down to fire.

7. put a nut on (I'll tack weld mine. If you use a bolt, use a lock nut) or peen over the end so it can't go back through the holes.

[Linked Image]

Completed (minus the tack weld on the nut)...

[Linked Image]

The whole thing took like 5 min. and I wasn't hurrying.

~ADC~

Nice work there!
I did those very same mods on a bunch of my DPs 6 years ago, except for putting the dog on upside down. You are correct, the geometry is wrong if you don't do something to change the angle of the dog. I simply bent the dogs to get it right. I wish that I could now take my dogs off and put them back on upside down, but that would put my notch on the wrong side now.
One thing that I also did was use a fully threaded bolt for the trigger pin, and used a nut on either side of the trigger to hold it straight, and relied on the bolt to swivel at the trigger bracket at two points instead of one point at the trigger. I find that the original trigger gets gummed up too easy with sticky bait or rust. That has always been a pet peeve of mine with DPs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums