Home

Chupacabra Trapping

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 02:08 PM

Mythical creature threw my trap and then drifted back thru the area a little while later.

Can see thrown trap in circle. There is another set at arrow

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 02:25 PM

Needs taken out
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 02:55 PM

Lesson or two to be learned there for sure

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Needs taken out

I'm tryin' to take him out. Have caught 7 on 400 acre tract. There are at least 2 more regulars, including this poor rascal.

A nearby (about 1.5 miles from the tract) hound running enclosure fence, that has been in use since the early 80s, was dismantled and the owner clearcut the timber (it was a 300 acre pen.) Those coyotes (from all over Ga) scattered to the wind. I have already captured 2 with trap marks on their feet. These last few using my place are delicate. They walk by dirtholes. Pay no attention to flat sets. This is 3rd times since May I tried to catch em. Killed 1 in May and 1 in July...now this one has throwed a trap...uugghh! Other times they leave my place after a few days of walking by traps...stay gone for 2 weeks or so.

Btw...they are eating pears in backyard of home up near highway. That is what I placed at the flat sets. I added Bobcat urine to the one he threw. Other set has a foodcuriosity lure (Slim's WidowMaker) on it.

Gonna mess with them a couple more days...then I have to go up state for a predator/beaver job for a week.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 04:55 PM

Get the snares out.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Get the snares out.

Not legal in Ga.

Can use snares for beaver only and snare must be set in water on within 10ft of water.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 07:52 PM

Years ago I caught one that nice in a 220 bucket. That was probably 92 or 93 up in Saline Co KS
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 07:53 PM

It was down to about 5 above that night and I figured he committed suicide.
Posted By: swampstomper

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 08:18 PM

Swamp wolf try burying carcasses of whatever you catch in a deep hole and leaving a small air hole for the odors to escape. I have seen them dig holes big enough for them to crawl in too get to deer carcass buried five feet deep.. You don’t have to dig a hole that deep but you get the idea. Mr Charlie Dobbin had a set like it in a book he wrote , I think he used a skunk carcass..but anything will work , i’ve even seen fish work for bait..
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by swampstomper
Swamp wolf try burying carcasses of whatever you catch in a deep hole and leaving a small air hole for the odors to escape. I have seen them dig holes big enough for them to crawl in too get to deer carcass buried five feet deep.. You don’t have to dig a hole that deep but you get the idea. Mr Charlie Dobbin had a set like it in a book he wrote , I think he used a skunk carcass..but anything will work , i’ve even seen fish work for bait..

Haha, I read that too. Took a beaver carcass and did that and even left a sapling stuck down through it and pulled it after 3 days. I had two sets there and never caught a thing after a week. I pulled the sets way too soon, lol. Rode back through about 2 weeks later and it looked like a bomb crater. It WILL be on my to do list in the future.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 08:43 PM

Let me guess, you can sell those crappy coyotes for $20 too?
Posted By: jk

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 09:33 PM

two traps at each set!!!!

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Let me guess, you can sell those crappy coyotes for $20 too?

Only to a dumb Canadian buyer...in Manitoba, I think.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jk
two traps at each set!!!!

Should've already been doing that. But was too lazy.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by swampstomper

Good idea. I'll try that next....the burying with ventilation.

I've tossed several beaver carcasses out there in one location since spring. It's hard to believe, but the coyotes stay away from there like it was taboo.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:05 PM

These coyotes are on my property...2 miles from my home. I don't like fawn killers, so being as I'm retired from a real job and sometimes I'm in between paying trapping jobs....so, I'm "working" for myself....lol. These mangy k9s are humbling me a little. They seem to know more about trapping than me......due to the fact that some were caught before and released in that pen.

I may have even caught some of them before. But, it's been about 10 years since I've sold a live coyote, so I doubt those are alive.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:09 PM

Poor coyote he is a prime example of why trappers are needed, keep after it.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
It was down to about 5 above that night and I figured he committed suicide.

These hairless rascals are living in the Tropics down here. No skeeter or deer fly protection, though. Probably no fleas as no hair....lol
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:14 PM

Ugly critter but I think Canadians would pay 40 bucks you give them too much credit lol

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
Ugly critter but I think Canadians would pay 40 bucks you give them too much credit lol

Jalstat,
I agree.....I'm letting em go to cheaply at $20. I could intersort that chupacabra's hide in with these southern beavers and I bet a Canadian wouldn't notice the difference.....the lack of underfur and all..lol

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 10:57 PM

You might be able to sell the meat to a mexican.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 11:06 PM

call him in then do away with him

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 11:06 PM

Not down here. The government takes care of em. They eat better, drive better cars, live in nicer homes, than I do.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
call him in then do away with him

If I had the gear..I'd bet these coyotes would run over a caller. Never heard/experienced it b4.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Not down here. The government takes care of em. They eat better, drive better cars, live in nicer homes, than I do.

You sound hard done by down there,but you got supper anyway,you wont go hungry lol.

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/12/23 11:25 PM

Boco,
But I can't get the Mexicans to buy the coyote meat.

And they ain't all Mexicans.....they're Hondurans, Guatemalans, Haitians, and I don't know from where else...
Posted By: Actor

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/13/23 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Get the snares out.

Not legal in Ga.

Can use snares for beaver only and snare must be set in water on within 10ft of water.

Can you just set a bucket of water close by and say It is close to water??? Just Kiddin HaHa1

Garry-

Re: Chupacabra Trapping - 08/13/23 12:23 AM

Garry,
As you would imagine there are folks here in Ga that interpreted our snaring regulation to say just that. But, the wording specifically states snares may be used for beaver only.

I actually dealt with a couple of folks that argued that with me during my years as a GW. Argument ended when I showed them the actual wording. The snare being in water or within 10ft of water are extra stipulations.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums