Home

.300 winny mag

Posted By: Wolfdog91

.300 winny mag - 08/10/23 11:01 PM

Riding over my 14 days off so they're throwing me on another boat for some reason instead of keeping me on mine. Well that involved me getting off and driving 5hr to New Orleans to get to my new boat for the next two weeks. Fortunately though that too me right though my usual stomping grounds so was able to have lunch with my lady, pick of some odds and ends and swing by the shop. Honestly just to chat with everyone there as I've become pretty friendly with most of the employees. Did my usual looking over the new stuff , nothing I really wanted ( that and I'm not buying anymore projects till next year when I get these home improvements and some other "important stuff" out the way but couldn't help but be ticked by this lill girl.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Temptation was there but idk , never really been much for the really big stuff , that and the amount of powder the big stuff eats up. I LIKE TO SHOOT ! Brass is plentiful though I'll give it that !
Will say though it miffs me to no end that I can find decent big boomers dirt cheap all day but takes a friggen miracle to stumble upon a nice lil .223 or something... Especially when you actually have the money for it ! ... But hay the fun is in the hunt and the waiting.... Just like how I'm waiting for Brownells to get some more barrels actions in stock that I want smirk
Anyhow rambling pretty gun yadda yadda
Posted By: John C

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/10/23 11:10 PM

You’ll be fine. Put a brake on it and the recoil will soften.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/10/23 11:18 PM

One of the best calibers, hands down!
Posted By: James

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by John C
You’ll be fine. Put a brake on it and the recoil will soften.

I hate muzzle brakes. I'd rather be kicked in the shoulder than blasted in the face. And brakes are so loud.

I think you could get used to the recoil from a .300 WM just by shooting it, brakeless, for a while. Sure, it's a lot more than a .223, but in the world of rifles, the .300 magnums are considered no more than medium rifle cartridges. Another good medium round and vastly underrated today is the .30/06.

Jim
Posted By: BigBob

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:14 AM

Interesting stock, but I hate that shiny finish. When I did a stock refinish, I would use Spray Poly and then take the shine off with auto rubbing compound, gives it a beautiful deep finish that was very tough and would really show the grain.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:31 AM

Grizz and moose gun.
Posted By: Posco

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Grizz and moose gun.

All day long. Good sheep round as well.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:36 AM

And elk
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 12:54 AM

I like mine. Wife likes hers.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 01:25 AM

It will knock the snot out of anything roaming this continent. I loaded 180 gr. Nosler's and they worked great on everything from moose to deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 02:06 AM

that gun didn't sell for that much new

the stevens 200 was the budget pre axis gun from savage about 300 was new in the early 2000s

I would say you don't need any more projects for a while not much need for 300 win mag where your at , little that 270 won't do in MS

now I am not saying don't buy anything before some one jumps on me but figure out what you want and go deep on that and not just everything you see.

I know it has been weird for me going into shops , say hi maybe buy something little , been mostly buying ammo and components and enjoying the shooting more than the building for while
Posted By: hippie

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 02:12 AM

I just rebarreled a model 200. Looked like a savage 110 to me.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 02:17 AM

Some folks just buy because.
Some folks buy for practical reasons.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by hippie

all the parts are the same , like the axis short or long action cartridge the receiver is long
as I understand it when the 110 with accu-trigger came out in 2002-2003 they started using all the old parts up as Stevens 200 with an internal box mag and most had about the cheapest plastic stock they could mold at the time and the fastest bluing job they could get it out the door with.

MSRP was $316 in 2005
it was a lot of value in a rifle at the time street price was 279-299 depending if there was a sale or not

a bunch of them became donor rifles for builds

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Because a guy always needs another rifle.

Jim

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by James

Because a guy always needs another rifle.

Jim

at least for collectors

for shooters who collected a little
Right up until he said I never have time to shoot this one this one , that one , this one .......................
then you start purpose building for the game you want to chase or the game you want to play and builds get more expensive and your more interested in sending rounds and your and the guns performance and building you skills and your purpose driven gun and proof of concept trying something new.

it is a little like the 5 stages to sportsman , not every one stops or gets to every stage
SHOOTER STAGE. For many who are introduced to hunting at an early age, our satisfaction can be as simple as just being able to see game and get a shot. ...
LIMITING OUT STAGE. ...
TROPHY STAGE. ...
METHOD STAGE. ...
SPORTSMAN STAGE.

although I think sportsman means different things to different people but it should likely have some teaching and passing it on component

shooter or collector means different things to different people

I don't consider myself a collector really , I have some historic guns and I like them but my rush isn't in having a pretty or historical thing on the rack it is in experiencing shooting that historic piece so I know what it was like to shoot in that year.

a collector can buy a gun , never buy or own ammo for it and never shoot it.

that is a foreign concept to me as a shooter everything has to shoot and be shot.
some guns don't get out very often but ammo for everything and everything shoots.

merely seeing a deal on something at some point stops being a deal when you won't shoot it and you could be buying more ammo or components and shooting more if you bought ammo not deal guns.

I may really like a gun but I don't need 20 of that one gun 2 or 3 so that their is a spare or two will do

from watching Wolfie over the years with , I saw "I found one!" to pushing the performance of those guns and loads to purpose built.
it seems like he falls into the experience of exploring a new gun , and has begun passing on the love of shooting to his little brother , GF and friends.
and is now starting to fight the I found a deal , with is it a deal if I really want to build this other gun.

this could be me projecting.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by hippie

all the parts are the same , like the axis short or long action cartridge the receiver is long
as I understand it when the 110 with accu-trigger came out in 2002-2003 they started using all the old parts up as Stevens 200 with an internal box mag and most had about the cheapest plastic stock they could mold at the time and the fastest bluing job they could get it out the door with.

MSRP was $316 in 2005
it was a lot of value in a rifle at the time street price was 279-299 depending if there was a sale or not

a bunch of them became donor rifles for builds

Good info.

Fella had a Douglas barrel in 7mm that I chambered in 284win. and threaded. Same threads as Savage and if it hadn't said Stevens on it I would've figured it a 110.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 02:05 PM

I never psycho analyzed it. I like to hunt. I like to shoot. When I see something I like and have a few extra bucks i figure its better than the sorry interest I get from the bank. No rhyme or reason to my choices now. I have the proper firearm for any hunting or trapping I want to do. For some reason I am getting more interested in the firearms of my ancestors. Black powder. Don't have a 45-70. A nice rolling or falling block might could end up in my kids trust too. grin
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 05:41 PM

Got to say I'm a bit more partial to the 7 RM. Plenty enough energy for anything I might shoot at any range I might shot. Just a bit easier to shot at the range for fun. It has a muzzle break, though louder it is nice when your shot 30 rounds at the range. Doesn't blow stuff in your face and I'm wearing hearing protection so the added noise isn't an issue.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 06:27 PM

I load 165’s in my 300 mag and it shoots fast flat and flat out hammers deer. I love that gun for deer. Shot the odd moose and bear with it but usually use my 338 for them instead

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 06:43 PM

I’ve never bought anything just to buy it. It either has a purpose or it’s not needed. When I buy rifles, they are for a purpose and needed for that purpose.
Recent purchase was a Ruger Predator in .308. Why? Wanted the threaded barrel for a suppressor the ATF is holding hostage, lol. Why .308? Mainly because all my other rifles are .308 and set up with optics for their purpose.

This particular rifle has my thermal on it and the one I’ll shoot subsonic ammo out of.

I’m now debating whether I want a .300BO in AR or a bolt gun. Probably add another thermal to it as well. May hold off and see what my son puts together first. He’s gonna have an AR in .300BO and move the thermal off the AR10 to it. We’re trying to get some lighter weight hog guns set up that can be carried and shot offhand or with a tripod. These will also double as guns for kids deer hunting. A soft recoil gun with a suppressor will have everyone wanting to shoot it.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 06:47 PM

Ha, most of the guns I have I bought....just because.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 08:59 PM

Who ever dies with the most guns in their safes is the winner.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 09:22 PM

Starting to believe I’m the poorest person on this site, lol.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/11/23 09:29 PM

Starting to believe I’m the poorest person on this site, lol.

Dont worry I'm right there with u. Only gun I've bought without a legitimate use for was the 300 WM and that was because I thought it was under valued. Recently I've got a tiny bit into shooting my hunting rifles at longer range for fun other than that my guns are just tools for a job. Until I needed more guns for the kids I could count how many guns I've bought on one hand. For me it's the hunt not the tools.
Posted By: Trappeur Gunny

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/12/23 12:02 AM

[Linked Image]

A couple of years ago I bought a Sako S-20 in 300WM and put a Zeiss 4x16 on it. It’s whole purpose was just for long range hunting. Now my other rifles are collecting dust. I can’t believe I hadn’t gotten one years ago now that I’ve been using my Sako. This trophy Catalina goat was hammered at 297yds. If I was using my normal deer rifle I wouldn’t have taken shot. It really has given me an advantage and expended my hunting opportunities. Can’t say enough of how much I love the 3002WM.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/12/23 09:35 PM

Honestly a lot of what I do just boils down to having fun and tinkering. I got practicality covered 5 different ways already with over lap lol. Heck practicality wise all I really need is my one of my .22lrs. Especially with all the various optics I can't set up for it. I. Good for out to 150 pretty easy. And I come from a line of poachers so Ii don't need a 300 ultra wisbang to kill a deer or hog. Heck I really don't even need a 12ga like eveyone says.

But like I said most of what I do is fun and exploration. A gun honestly isn't any different to me then a fishing pole or pair of shoes or something

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/12/23 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trappeur Gunny
[Linked Image]

A couple of years ago I bought a Sako S-20 in 300WM and put a Zeiss 4x16 on it. It’s whole purpose was just for long range hunting. Now my other rifles are collecting dust. I can’t believe I hadn’t gotten one years ago now that I’ve been using my Sako. This trophy Catalina goat was hammered at 297yds. If I was using my normal deer rifle I wouldn’t have taken shot. It really has given me an advantage and expended my hunting opportunities. Can’t say enough of how much I love the 3002WM.

Beautiful animal

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/12/23 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trappeur Gunny
[Linked Image]

Curious what your normal deer rifle is if you can’t shoot out to 300yds?

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/12/23 11:37 PM

X2. It's a goat not a moose. If your other guns just aren't accurate enough I get it but as far as power I wouldn't think it would take too powerful of a rifle to tip a feral goat over at 300 yds.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 12:58 AM

I just sold my 300WM Browning A Bolt. Love the cartridge, hated that rifle for over 20 years. Killed a pile of animals with it. Picked up a M70 Winchester Extreme Hunter in the 300WM last fall. Completely different rifle. It is actually pleasant to shoot at the range. Not the harsh B-slap that that Browning would hand out and I figure that I will most likely die owning the one I just bought. First deer hunt with it was a proving ground and that rig will run circles around that POS Browning all day long.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
I just sold my 300WM Browning A Bolt. Love the cartridge, hated that rifle for over 20 years. Killed a pile of animals with it. Picked up a M70 Winchester Extreme Hunter in the 300WM last fall. Completely different rifle. It is actually pleasant to shoot at the range. Not the harsh B-slap that that Browning would hand out and I figure that I will most likely die owning the one I just bought. First deer hunt with it was a proving ground and that rig will run circles around that POS Browning all day long.

You got me drooling, I didn't know I needed another gun until I looked at those. The .300 WM is a great round.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

You got me drooling, I didn't know I needed another gun until I looked at those. The .300 WM is a great round.

I am here to help!
Posted By: Trappeur Gunny

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
X2. It's a goat not a moose. If your other guns just aren't accurate enough I get it but as far as power I wouldn't think it would take too powerful of a rifle to tip a feral goat over at 300 yds.

I’ll answer both your and Wanna Be’s questions/remarks…my other deer rifle is more than capable of making a 300 yard shot. It’s a Tikka T3 Hunter in 30-06 with a Sig 3x9 on top. The picture was taken of the animal when it was already removed from the mountain. The goat was killed across a cross compartment canyon after spending three days stalking it. The reason I would not have used my normal rifle is as follows:

After climbing and crawling I needed a gun that was heavy in the front to settle quickly as the animals was constantly moving and my heart rate from climbing in the heat was not settling quickly to make a steady shot on a moving animal.

Next is the stock on the Sako S20, thumb hole Hunter model, has amazing ergonomics for shooting moving targets.

Since I has to deal with wind at the target and with a rolling mirage moving at a different angle coming out of the canyon I wanted more speed and a higher BC to reduce the effects of the wind.

The 300 also allowed me to use a heavier bullet with a higher sectional density as if you look at the picture closely that is not a backyard goat. I’m 6’1”, 215 pounds, look at the girth of the animal. I needed to make sure I dropped the animal dead in it’s tracks as due to the terrain I couldn’t risk it running as if it went into the canyon I wouldn’t have been able to retrieve it.

So, I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 07:53 AM

This thread makes me sad because I had to sell one of my .300 Wes, a Nosler Heritage, before our move to Idaho. Orders from She-who-must-be-obeyed.

But the new gun safe I got, now planted in my garage, has slots for a few more rifles...

Jim
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/13/23 01:10 PM

Over the years I've had a few 30 cal mags ( 300 wm,300wby,308nm,300rum). They all would reach out and touch things and do it with authority but I found each and every one to be ignorant in the recoil department. Surprisingly my 338 wm is a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) cat compared to those 30 cals

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 01:31 AM

I found that the .300 RUM has a fierce kick. I sold that rifle because the cartridge gets just ten percent more velocity than the .300 WM for twenty percent more powder.

Jim

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 01:41 AM

[Linked Image]

Spent a few days with a friend in NM working up a load for his 375 RUM. It packs a wallop.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
[Linked Image]

Spent a few days with a friend in NM working up a load for his 375 RUM. It packs a wallop.

Haha. I had to try hard to not derail the 300 winny thread with discussion of the .375 caliber. The two are my favorites, with the 375 being preferred, especially for deer hunting in SEAK.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 11:24 AM

Buddy has shot Oryx with his. Got it from the wife of a friend of his who had passed. Its a beast.

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 11:29 AM

Haha. I had to try hard to not derail the 300 winny thread with discussion of the .375 caliber. The two are my favorites, with the 375 being preferred, especially for deer hunting in SEAK.

I had a Winchester Model 70 stainless/synthetic in .375 H&H. I killed three whitetails with it but weighing around 10 pounds, it was just too heavy for carrying around in the Maine woods. The recoil off the bench would set me back but it was manageable. I sold it and I wish I hadn't.
Posted By: trapr

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 11:55 AM

H-1000 powder was made just for the 300 wm. more like shooting a 308 or similar. Paired with a 180 grain bullet was good medicine
Posted By: sneaky

Re: .300 winny mag - 08/14/23 06:50 PM

If you had put a different stock on that Browning it would have made it a completely different acting rifle. But, it was also a good excuse to buy another rifle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums