Home

MN DNR..??

Posted By: trapperkeck

MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 09:00 PM

So, in their infinite wisdom, the Minnesota DNR is considering a limit on the amount of
"wild" mushrooms you can possess. They are considering a 1 gallon bag limit. Their reasoning, mushroom pickers are depriving the local wildlife of a critical food source... My God, these people are idiots!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 09:35 PM

They're eating bad mushrooms, a gallon per day???They need to rethink a lot of things.Let people enjoy the outdoors other than regulating everything.
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 09:45 PM

Its true have seen the story a few times on the news channels we are over harvesting is what I hear.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 10:02 PM

I thought that was just on state park land...NO?

The MN DNR (and much of the other parts of MN Govt) are high stepping to catch up to California in any way they can. Soon it will be illegal to kill a fish and eat it. Some of the limits are almost there as is.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 10:26 PM

It was a challenge to pick the papinki before the deer got them in the fall. Sounds like another idiot that thinks all the resources belong to the state.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/08/23 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

The MN DNR (and much of the other parts of MN Govt) are high stepping to catch up to California in any way they can. Soon it will be illegal to kill a fish and eat it. Some of the limits are almost there as is.

That is correct Calvin. The proposal is for state parks.

I believe they are considering limiting blueberries and other berries as well
Posted By: MnMan

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Originally Posted by Calvin

That is correct Calvin. The proposal is for state parks.

You are kidding, right? Next thing they will make it catch and release only on mushrooms and berries.
Posted By: thgreenwing

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 12:49 AM

https://kstp.com/fuel/possible-mushroom-foraging-restrictions/

Absolutely insane.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 12:58 AM

Let them go- let them grow...
crazy
Posted By: Mark K

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 01:12 AM

I have more than a gallon's worth of dingleberries they can have. They have to pick them with their teeth though.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 01:40 AM

It's getting really sickening what MN D.N.R. comes up with.
Posted By: thgreenwing

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 02:03 AM

So now the CO’s (cop wannabe's) will have something very productive to do.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 02:29 AM

Trying to limit foraging?? So that you become dependent elsewhere for food?? Like the government?? Control the food, control the masses.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 02:33 AM

The state doesn't want anyone to benefit from any natural resource in any way.
Posted By: DHH

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 03:01 AM

To many yuppies in control
Posted By: Mark K

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
The state doesn't want anyone to benefit from any natural resource in any way.

I have been saying this for years.
Posted By: 160user

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 11:19 AM

It is only a matter of time before they will require us to buy a $20 berry permit and a $30 mushroom permit.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 12:27 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 03:05 PM

I've said it many times. The state bird is the loon. Make the state insect the wood tick.
Then it could be appropriately named, the loon-a-tick state.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 03:43 PM

Like everything else, it's about money.

Sad as it is, there are areas here in MI where folks go through known mushroom areas on public land like locusts and then sell them. If you're picking for your own supply, that's great, but hiring a crew of dozens of folks to pick acres clean so they can be sold online or at local farm markets is a different story.

That said, govt overreach is ridiculous anymore and in most areas 99% of mushrooms are untouched, so I'm kind of a fence sitter on the issue.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 03:52 PM

California of the North.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 04:42 PM

Pick away.Our DNR has some law that if your panning for gold you can keep up to some magical number that they came up with,and that no.is small(can't remember the amount off the top of my head).I guess they expect you to put any extra gold back.You have to wonder about our so called stewards of the resources.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 04:48 PM

There were guys around here that to time off from work to harvest morels because of what the price the buyers would pay for them.if ya wanted any to have and eat just because you liked some made it hard to find any all ya saw was where everyone walked even on private land.The last few years they have been hard to find alot of it is the weather to dry or not enough rain maybe even to cool.Anybody know what the berry crop looks like going into bear season up north in Mn?
Posted By: 160user

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ceelmo.trap
Anybody know what the berry crop looks like going into bear season up north in Mn?

Around here it is terrible. It is incredibly dry with very few berries. We are in a small island of drought here in Southern Itasca county and areas 30-40 miles South of here have been getting far more rain than us. The Ash swamps and many beaver ponds have dried up.

Related to this topic, we could only use bait barrels for bears on private land. I just noticed that they changed this and you can now use a barrel on public land...............but you need to BUY a permit to use it.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 06:00 PM

Where I go blueberries were early this year. It was a good year. They are about done now.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 06:11 PM

49er did you have your blue berry license?
Posted By: walleye101

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 08:54 PM

Where I go blueberries were early this year. It was a good year. They are about done now.

Very good here to. Got my limit almost every day. Not sure what the possession limit is though.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 09:34 PM

Wish we could get one year where everyone wouldn’t buy a fishing or hunting license and watch some of there funds dry up and have them realize who helps pay there bills
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 09:53 PM

DNR wants no one but them making money off nature. Limiting hard working people from picking more than their so called share. Regulate things out of existence. See what they did to turtle trappers who really make no difference in turtle numbers.
Posted By: Clark

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/09/23 11:18 PM

It does amaze me that very few on this thread have recognized that this would apply to state park lands only. Collectively they must make up .01% of the public land in this state? Who cares about this regulation? Or do we have nothing better to do then sit around bicker about rules that won’t affect us. I know of one other group that likes to do the same thing…
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 12:07 AM

Clark, your missing the Big Picture!
whistle
Posted By: rick olson

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 12:08 AM

They said,state park's and state forest,I'd agree I don't really care about the state park's,but give them and inch they take 3'.One thing for sure it's not dead beats out forging you have to know what your picking and most if not all are not allowed to sell unless they are certified for legal matter's.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Very good here to. Got my limit almost every day. Not sure what the possession limit is though.

If it's anything like your fishing regs your daily limit will be your home possession limit.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 12:21 AM

It is an unnecessary regulation, no matter if it applies to .01% or 100%, that's the point. I've never picked a mushroom or a blueberry in a state park, and don't intend to, so I shouldn't care if it doesn't effect me? I don't commercially trap snapping turtles, so I shouldn't care if the few remaining turtle trappers are getting skrewed over because it doesn't effect me?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Clark
It does amaze me that very few on this thread have recognized that this would apply to state park lands only. Collectively they must make up .01% of the public land in this state? Who cares about this regulation? Or do we have nothing better to do then sit around bicker about rules that won’t affect us. I know of one other group that likes to do the same thing…

Your numbers aren't even remotely close. The state managed land effected makes up 11% of ALL land in Minnesota not just .01 of all public land. That's 44% of all public land in Minnesota. This is a a big restriction.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/aboutdnr/publiclands/index.html

Keith

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 01:12 AM

That's the same attitude hunters have towards trappers,a lot of gun owners have towards semi automatics,etc."Who cares"?And I've seen a fair amount of regulation here in Michigan that started with "public land only". And it spread from there.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Your numbers aren't even remotely close. The state managed land effected makes up 11% of ALL land in Minnesota not just .01 of all public land. That's 44% of all public land in Minnesota. This is a a big restriction.

Keith

He's right in the sense. Yhe proposal is only for state parks not all state owned land.

Where I disagree is if this prevails it is a big deal, it will eventually be expanded.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 01:41 PM

I agree if its only in state parks big deal but if it expands to a bigger and broader area it would hard to swallow. State parks are very restrictive on having anything removed and that covers a whole lot of things.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Pick away.Our DNR has some law that if your panning for gold you can keep up to some magical number that they came up with,and that no.is small(can't remember the amount off the top of my head).I guess they expect you to put any extra gold back.You have to wonder about our so called stewards of the resources.

I asked about panning in MN. I was told the state owns all the mineral rights on public land and in some cases private land too.

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

I asked about panning in MN. I was told the state owns all the mineral rights on public land and in some cases private land too.

Nice."The state owns all mineral rights on public land......." Typical.Our DNR acts like its all a privilege and we should be so thankful they allow us on state land to do it.Just don't find too much......

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 03:54 PM

I asked about using a sluice box? I thought they would have a heart attack. Absolutely not!

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/10/23 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I asked about using a sluice box? I thought they would have a heart attack. Absolutely not!

Yeah,ours made them illegal too.I don't know what they're thinking,those small sluices that are made for one guy recreational panning are hurting absolutely nothing or nobody.This kind of nonsense is what makes me despise bureaucrats and democrats more and more.
Posted By: Clark

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/11/23 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

He's right in the sense. Yhe proposal is only for state parks not all state owned land.

Where I disagree is if this prevails it is a big deal, it will eventually be expanded.

Keith, I am well aware of how much public land is here. Thanks for enlightening me. Now, go ahead and read one of the many articles on this subject and tell me how much land is being affected. I’lll make it easy for you, it’s in the first sentence:

https://www.kare11.com/article/news.../89-88903d6f-3982-4f0e-8f56-6786d45ef1f1

49er - I understand your reticence and the desire to squash this before it becomes the MO for all public lands. Turns out, we likely have a friend in our CO’s. Do you think they want to enforce foraging laws on a resource that is arguably more renewable than game or fish? Sneak up on berry pickers in the heat of summer or cruise around a lake looking for drunk boaters? I’m fairly certain the CO’s will oppose any such rule and if enacted, would not enforce it except under unusual circumstances.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: MN DNR..?? - 08/11/23 11:05 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Remember when the death threats were taken seriously, complete with pre-dawn raids?

Me either...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums