Home

Move to South Dakota?

Posted By: MNEric

Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 12:38 AM

Has anyone else from MN get a flyer in the mail with the SD Govenor on it saying come move to the land of the free?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:02 AM

Big push for trades workers on the new commercials running over the last few months. Lots of opportunities here the pays not great but no State income taxes the cost of livings is not bad.

I came here 40 years ago with no plans of leaving anytime soon.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by MNEric
Has anyone else from MN get a flyer in the mail with the SD Govenor on it saying come move to the land of the free?

No but given the current state of affairs here I wouldn't mind looking at it. I planned to die on the hunk of dirt but I am rethinking that decision.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

No but given the current state of affairs here I wouldn't mind looking at it. I planned to die on the hunk of dirt but I am rethinking that decision.

If my wife would consider it I’d be there now Good state for a trapper or for any outdoor person for that matter.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:40 AM

No mail but the SD Governor is on tv ad here everyday trying to recruit employees to move there.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 02:59 AM

The adds are so good that it sounds like our governor has bought a place in SD and plans on moving there after his term is up.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:05 AM

Why are they so eager to wreck a good thing? Growth and GDP are not the only measures of success, I wish politicians could understand that
Posted By: Savell

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Why are they so eager to wreck a good thing? Growth and GDP are not the only measures of success, I wish politicians could understand that

… been living the nightmare for some time down here … the politicians recruiting from north south and west… land my kin killed for giving way to californians, wetbacks and yankees… problem is you can’t shoot trespassers anymore due to harsh repercussion from federal law…. Wish they’d at least allow us to stick a lit blackcat firecracker up a few of their butts every now then as a mild deterrent lol
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:25 AM

It all comes down to the almighty dollar. IMO a great state like SD should want to stay such. They need a litmus test for who gets in and who cannot get in. This is where these chamber of commerce republicans fall off the table. Per a Google search 31% of south Dakotas population are registered dems - how long will it take to overwhelm the state?

What are they thinking?? Throw away our quality of life so I can make more $$.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:28 AM

I'd move to western SD in a minute...if I could afford it
Posted By: Seek

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:31 AM

Minnesota is a disaster and some of us are easy pickings for a state that values common sense.

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:33 AM

Watched it here. My most conservative friend is a prime example. "we need growth so I can continue to build houses. Which will add a couple million to my net worth". Ask him who is buying those houses? The answer is always "people who sold their house in CA for a couple million. They can come out here and buy a $750k house 3x the size". Unfortunately they don't leave their politics in CA. And as a result this state blows chunks.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:39 AM

Been here my whole life don’t plan to leave anytime soon, Wyoming or Alaska would probably be the only places I’d consider. We have WAY to many of the wrong type of people coming here!

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ringneck1
Watched it here. My most conservative friend is a prime example. "we need growth so I can continue to build houses. Which will add a couple million to my net worth". Ask him who is buying those houses? The answer is always "people who sold their house in CA for a couple million. They can come out here and buy a $750k house 3x the size". Unfortunately they don't leave their politics in CA. And as a result this state blows chunks.

Yessir … and property taxes will leave you needing to work till the grave to keep up if it’s anything like here

.. I swear a few packs of blackcats and a lighter could solve it
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 04:04 AM

I think about it from time to time but my kind of fishing and trapping lies in the east...But I hate the wind. Maybe I haven't explored enough of the state yet.

Agreed to above who stated MN has become a complete disaster. !00%

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 04:13 AM

… the family size roll of cats… a full butane lighter and some wd40 for the puckerbutts would put a stop to it quick….. tell me I’m lying!

[Linked Image]

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 04:34 AM

Yep the property tax beating just started here. And predictably, here is the chamber of commerce repubs collecting signatures to get on the ballot that any property tax increase larger than 4% would have to go thru the voters. So I guess a 3.99% increase is A-OK per the repubs. Why not collect those same signatures to say any proposed property tax increase requires a vote? Apparently repubs think that's too extreme but in reality they're eating at the same trough as dems are...

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 04:48 AM

Yep the property tax beating just started here. And predictably, here is the chamber of commerce repubs collecting signatures to get on the ballot that any property tax increase larger than 4% would have to go thru the voters. So I guess a 3.99% increase is A-OK per the repubs. Why not collect those same signatures to say any proposed property tax increase requires a vote? Apparently repubs think that's too extreme but in reality they're eating at the same trough as dems are...

… I’m not going to get into political discussion any further than promoting the use of blackcat fireworks as a deterrent ……and once again stating the obvious.. that us Rebs were right

… we’ll all just sleep uneasy in the bed that’s been made until someone with grit gets ahold of some bottle rockets and high octane sparklers I guess

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 05:04 AM

Not saying I don't like your solution. I'm just not sure China will send us that many blackcats.

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 05:27 AM

Not saying I don't like your solution. I'm just not sure China will send us that many blackcats.

… well in that case we could just give ‘em the good old fashion Indian burn

… that’s a deterrent for sure if administered correctly

.. still got a bare spot on my arm to this day from one
Posted By: DWC

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 05:55 AM

SD is a great state, but if anyone is thinking the Sioux Falls area, youll be happier if you look at other areas. Is it better than Minneapolis? Of course. A lot. But, everywhere you look is full of liberal wackos and criminals. There are decent people there, but it’s changed drastically the past few years. High taxes and real estate for the midwest at least. Get an hour away.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 11:46 AM

South Dakota is a great state to live in, was there for 7 years, best hunting, trapping and fishing of anywhere I’ve lived, MN and now WI. Low wages were a problem but cost of living was much lower.

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 12:21 PM

The downhill trend for any city is to be the City of the Year it attracts the best and the worst after that but the worst in there to stay. The meat packing plants attract every minority around for the cheap labor jobs. 95% of the evening perp walks on the news are from our lowest population groups.

Sioux Falls lost a lot of its hometown shine years ago when it won best city in America it was never the same after that. It’s still better any larger city just not what it was at one time before. Less than a million people in the whole state is appealing to some and scares others, if you’re willing to work you can fulfill your dreams here.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 12:52 PM

I can remember when my wife got a letter from SD promising a free house to Teachers who would commit to moving and teaching there. The downfall was the pay.

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:08 PM

So many people are slaves to those paychecks and waste a lot of their lives worshipping the almighty dollar living in places they really don’t want to live in. My buddy lived in Chicago driving a fuel truck until he moved to MO never seen a guy so happy to be there just a shame he did not do it years earlier.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 01:29 PM

We try to encourage our California and other left coast transplants to continue on east to South Dakota or Minnesota grin
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
So many people are slaves to those paychecks and waste a lot of their lives worshipping the almighty dollar living in places they really don’t want to live in. My buddy lived in Chicago driving a fuel truck until he moved to MO never seen a guy so happy to be there just a shame he did not do it years earlier.

Agreed! My buddy sold his metro suburban house on acreage (worth a LOT) and moved to a 14x16 cabin without electricity or running water in Alaska 5 years ago. Never been happier. His only regret was he didn't do it 30 years previous.

Money is a trap. God will provide if you're willing to work.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 03:34 PM

Folks it won’t stop. Every year Millions come in legal and illegal. Everyone of em gotta live somewhere. What’s America look like with half a billion people? Two places come to mind, China and India. If you have decent weather and internet service they’re coming. Bothers me to no end that there’s zero discussion in the government about this. What’s the number? How many can we hold and still be the land of amber waves of grain and purple mountain majesty? Let’s get an idea now before it’s too late. No use shutting the gate if the cows are done out.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 04:30 PM

She probably needs people like yourself to off set the votes of "immigrants" that are being shipped there. Rural Mn. would be a great place to recruit from as I'm sure many are sick of being controlled by MSP. Rural Illinois would be another great place to recruit from for many of the same reasons. I doubt SD wants a population explosion but at least if they have one they would like to choose who it is moving in.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 07:43 PM

You guys are late to the party, Here on the Island we've been inundated by city people since right after WW2, this last pandemic finished us off, about every vacant property is now sprouting new homes. Property taxes are obscene, school tax is worse, traffic is ridiculous, houses are now unaffordable. ...Turned a great farming and fishing region into a borough of NYC. mad
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 08:50 PM

If Noem wants to keep her state great then she needs to stop encouraging people to move there. I'm in Georgia and this state is growing by leaps and bounds and it ain't good old conservative boys moving here. Our state needs fewer people, not more.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 09:25 PM

I am being squeezed out of my place near metro MN by development.

I could go anywhere, and did check out SD on my own. Never got any flyers. We ruled out SD simply because we could not find the kind of property in a suitable location.

We ended up buying a vacant waterfront property in a small WI town.

TX, btw was ruled out by unbearable weather and the potential of drunken loudmouthed rebel neighbors.
Posted By: run

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/03/23 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex

I could go anywhere, and did check out SD on my own. Never got any flyers. We ruled out SD simply because we could not find the kind of property in a suitable location.

TX, btw was ruled out by unbearable weather and the potential of drunken loudmouthed rebel neighbors.

LOL! You win!
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 12:30 AM

I'll be there soon, and you can rest assured, I know how to vote!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 12:43 AM

Haven’t considered moving but as far as people moving here there is an advantage to the state always smelling like hog and chicken manure.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 12:51 AM

Same here , FN wrecked by transplants

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex

… didn’t even have to waste a firecracker on this one lol

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by canebrake
If Noem wants to keep her state great then she needs to stop encouraging people to move there. I'm in Georgia and this state is growing by leaps and bounds and it ain't good old conservative boys moving here. Our state needs fewer people, not more.

Buddy, you hit the nail on the head. Shes more concerned with how many people see her botoxed face with a hat on backwards. She REALLY needs to back off the injections, it’s getting bad. Shes looking beyond the time shes termed out. Ive heard rumors shes wanting NRA president. Fake as fake gets.
Give me a Kim Reynolds of IA any day. Rural Iowa and the people there are Americas best kept secret.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 04:53 AM

SD is a great state, but if anyone is thinking the Sioux Falls area, youll be happier if you look at other areas. Is it better than Minneapolis? Of course. A lot. But, everywhere you look is full of liberal wackos and criminals. There are decent people there, but it’s changed drastically the past few years. High taxes and real estate for the midwest at least. Get an hour away.

I agree with DWC (he'll be surprised ... wink. Soo Foo metro probably has too many people already but there are a handful of cities in the 15-25,000 range where prices aren't as nutty as Sioux Falls and the pace of life is a bit slower. There's nothing wrong with places such as Yankton, Mitchell, Watertown, Aberdeen, and even Pierre if you can stand the politicians and lobbyists during the winter. I'm not sure about Huron, LSS might have diversified that place a little too much. Then there is always West River if you truly want to live in a small town where you can see for miles (not counting the BH cities here). This year West River is even wetter than the east side of the state. Go figure...

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 05:13 AM

I havent checked prices in SF really recently, because no one on God’s green earth could ever get me to move back there. But Yankton seems to think theyre a suburb or something lately, because the prices seem outrageous for some of the homes there. But I do love that area and would move back in a second…Except for the $&%#ing Asian carp….
Posted By: run

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 11:50 AM

There is an old readers digest South Dakota advertisement that I have seen that says children in South Dakota think traffic jam tastes like strawberry.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 12:17 PM

Some of you SD residents are nuts, live in Minn. for a year or two, you don't know how good you got it. Keep complaining about people like Noem and see what you end up with.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
The adds are so good that it sounds like our governor has bought a place in SD and plans on moving there after his term is up.

You can keep that pos right where it’s at. Frankly have it move farther east please, so as not to pollute my air with his idiocy!…
Posted By: Squash

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 02:50 PM

SD probably great, but real estate prices out of reach for most people.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

Real estate property anywhere is out of reach for most people.
Posted By: TravC

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 03:09 PM

We are moveing there in a week.
Ol New Mexico gettin hard to be in

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

Go to a smaller town and see if that’s true, one town is giving away free lots if you build there even. The problem in the country it’s no acre or lots of acres being offered not much in the middle. If you’re a fixer upper type person deals can be made on a house.

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Some of you SD residents are nuts, live in Minn. for a year or two, you don't know how good you got it. Keep complaining about people like Noem and see what you end up with.

Some only focus on what they don’t have not seeing what they do have no matter how much that is. I always think of the people living in IL, CA and NYC plus growing up in Chicago opened my eyes to what’s here.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 06:36 PM

Moved from Minn. to SD a couple years ago at 66 years old, best thing I ever did. Minnesota is lost and will only get worse in every way.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Move to South Dakota? - 08/04/23 07:08 PM

I like that SD is sending mailers to get people to move there for the jobs. MN passes laws that encourage employees to call in sick.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums