Home

Figure 4 Deadfall Trap

Posted By: Eagleye

Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 10:50 AM

Anybody ever make one? Might play around with some concepts with the Grandkids.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 11:45 AM

Yes. Good to know how to do as a survival skill. Not useful for much other than small birds or mice as far as I can tell. Not legal to use in some states so check your game laws. Even if not legal to use you can still learn how.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 11:59 AM

They're pretty young- I was thinking more cardboard box and survival concepts.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 12:01 PM

They are fun to play with. I messed with them a lot in boy scouts. You can set a pretty decent deadfall with the right trigger arrangement.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 02:48 PM

As a kid my father caught a lot of cottontails. Building info on internet.

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 03:09 PM

Making Meat 2 by John McPherson is a good little book with info and pics on how to do a number of different primitive deadfalls and snares including the figure 4.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 03:11 PM

Made a premade little trigger system of them a while back. Was pretty nifty bad based off of an old design
Posted By: Boco

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 03:18 PM

A treadbar deadfall is a good one.
Will take beaver at a crossover.Gotta load it up good with weight,but lots of material close by at a beaver pond for that.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 03:28 PM

I spent a bit of time trying to catch a bobcat in one. All I got were possums! Had one set for beaver with a 100lb + drop log, ended up with a fairly flat muskrat! I use a Paiute type trigger.
Posted By: mikehunterman

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 04:26 PM

Go to project Gutenberg online and put in trapping and it will pull up several books. You may need to put in deadfalls and snares A. R. Harding to find it, but it has dozens of old-time traps.
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 04:32 PM

yes. It seems a lot of the survival books are regurgitated info by people who have never actually used these methods. The Mcpherson's books are legit.............................
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 09:49 PM

Watch alone. I watched an episode on Netflix. If you really live off the land you need to kill big animals. Small animals are a fine supplement but large animals are needed for the long haul. fortunately KS is chock full of cattle.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/18/23 10:01 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/19/23 07:52 AM

Good stuff.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/19/23 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
Yes. Good to know how to do as a survival skill. Not useful for much other than small birds or mice as far as I can tell. Not legal to use in some states so check your game laws. Even if not legal to use you can still learn how.

Actually you can catch any animal in North America with a deadfall just need to make it larger enough with enough drop weight, even the large bears have been taken with them

Definitely check your state laws not just that little book you get with your license either, I am old enough to remember when it used to be listed in the book you got in Minnesota and not sure when it was taken out but it used to be in there as a specific illegal method of taking animals, you can bet it still is to, if your state has a jaw spread restriction your going to get in trouble setting one as the entire drop log is the jaw, and don’t depend on the advice from your game warden either

My favorite is the Mohave scissor deadfall, as a kid I used them a lot before I had steel traps and they were deadly on coon and muskrats and even caught a beaver in one

Re: Figure 4 Deadfall Trap - 07/19/23 12:25 PM

Great sketches from Wolfie and great video. Thanks for posting. I love the adaptations for larger animals.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums