[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 06:13 PM

Found a 1852 gold dollar even

[Linked Image]
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 09:04 PM

Gotta love the little holes. I’ve found three trimes, all having holes. And one 1873 Seated dime with the hole right where the mint mark is, or was.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 09:37 PM

Condition is everything. Not to burst yer balloon but those look well used. Top price is paid for fine uncirculated, unless it’s very rare or an error.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 10:20 PM

You might be surprised at how little value a common Indian head penny has when you look it up. But hope springs enteral in getting old coins!!
Posted By: 080808

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 10:51 PM

Dumb question. What’s the coin app?
Posted By: run

Re: Coins - 07/16/23 11:04 PM

Probably a thingie on a smart phone or tablet. Maybe take your special coins to a coin show and see how much similar coins are going for.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 05:16 AM

Yep you scan the coins and it tells you the going rate.

Coins are pretty cool find for me up in Canada
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 07:03 AM

When I was about 14 a friend showed me about 25 half dimes his grandad left
for him. All with holes punched and strung on a wire to keep them all together, frown
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 12:20 PM

The gold coin is a great find. Hope to find one some day. Back in the day, pockets were not that common. The pockets they did have were small. Things fell out easily. That is why they punched a hole in their coins so they could be strung together and tied to their clothing. Sometimes they were sewn directly to their clothes. Those holes give the coin character but unfortunately bring their price down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 12:33 PM

Last week I got a 1930 Buffalo nickel as change at the grocery store. Pretty cool to see
Posted By: run

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
The gold coin is a great find. Hope to find one some day. Back in the day, pockets were not that common. The pockets they did have were small. Things fell out easily. That is why they punched a hole in their coins so they could be strung together and tied to their clothing. Sometimes they were sewn directly to their clothes. Those holes give the coin character but unfortunately bring their price down.

[Linked Image]

Thank you for the information, animals only.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 02:54 PM

Without a date on them, those buffalo nickels are worth a nickel, maybe a little more as a curiosity item. Without the date, it cannot be determined if they are rare. The only exception is if the Indian has what they call a "double die" error which causes the Indian to have an extra feather by his ear, or if the buffalo is missing a leg.
Posted By: Jediknight

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 03:07 PM

Nice set of coins. Remember, no matter what an app says or who you talk to, your coins are worth what someone that day is willing to pay for them. It is correct that a "no date" coin is worth face value with a few exceptions. The gold coin is a great find. Any time you find a hole in a coin it ruins it and, in some cases, makes it worth literally nothing unless some one wants it for jewelry purposes. Always many exceptions out there.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Condition is everything. Not to burst yer balloon but those look well used. Top price is paid for fine uncirculated, unless it’s very rare or an error.

That's true. On some of those Buffalo nickels the dates are not very distinguishable. Still great finds. I love metal detecting.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jediknight
Nice set of coins. Remember, no matter what an app says or who you talk to, your coins are worth what someone that day is willing to pay for them. It is correct that a "no date" coin is worth face value with a few exceptions. The gold coin is a great find. Any time you find a hole in a coin it ruins it and, in some cases, makes it worth literally nothing unless some one wants it for jewelry purposes. Always many exceptions out there.

Jedi said it best. I forget about the gold coin ,it has value if for nothing else the gold. I don't know how the coin app gives a value for the buffalos with the dates worn off. The Indian head could have some if it has an s mint mark. We need to see the back of the coin for further analysis.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Coins - 07/17/23 08:20 PM

The weight of your coin is 1.672 grams minus 10% copper weight .1672 = 1.5048 grams of gold. So you can take todays gold price per gram $63.23 and times that by 1.5048 = $95.14 and that will be the gold value of your coin. You may get a little more if someone really wants it for their collection. The market is good for gold coins. I'd still try to double that price. The hole hurts the price.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums