Muffler bearings?

Posted By: WI Outdoors

Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 05:22 PM

How often do you change yours out?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mando

Every other leap year during a full moon phase. Otherwise the warranty is null and void.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 06:07 PM

I repack mine and with grease from a blue bucket only.
Posted By: white17

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 06:08 PM

Here's a true story from Vietnam.

Part of my job after every flight was to fill out two forms. A dash 12 and a dash 13. On the dash 12 I entered the names and service numbers of those operating the aircraft and the duration of the flight. On the dash 13 I entered anything that seemed out of the ordinary about the way the aircraft performed or any malfunctions. These forms then were turned in to the maintenance psgt at the end of the day.

This maintenance guy was almost smart enough to tie his shoes and certainly didn't belong in the slot he was filling.

One day I wrote an entry on the dash 13 that read......."pilot relief tube, anti-ice inop".

First of all there was no pilot relief tube. Secondly, at 90 degrees it would not have mattered if the "anti-ice system" was operable or not.

This moron spent weeks trying to track down a new anti-ice heat element for this non-existent system.

You can imagine that a helicopter has a lot of moving parts with odd names as well as generating lots of centrifugal force in various directions.
It is common for grease and oil mist to get flung around and land on various areas of the aircraft. Next, dirt and dust start to stick in the oil and grease.

Eventually, it really does start to affect performance of the aircraft by creating "parasite drag" through disruption of airflow over control surfaces.
So.........I complained to this same PSGT maintenance guy about how the filthy aircraft was suffering degraded performance.

I told him to order 5-10 gallons of rotor wash and to clean up all surfaces of the bird.

Again he spent weeks trying to get a bucket of rotor wash. We finally got rid of this guy when he was caught falsifying the dash 12 forms so he could collect flight pay.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 06:23 PM

grin

At least he wasn't trying to be crew chief...."Jesus".......as in the rotor nut wink
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 06:57 PM

Excellent white17. I guess I'll need to order up some "prop wash" to get rid of that danged parasitic drag.

On the muffler bearings, it seems like for the newer vehicles, my mechanic told me they're easier to replace using a left-handed crescent.

Jack
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 07:07 PM

I Change my the same time every year on February 30th
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 07:32 PM

I change them the Same time I changed the spark plugs on my 7.3 diesel.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 07:32 PM

I change them every time I change the blinker fluid..
Posted By: Average Joe

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Excellent white17. I guess I'll need to order up some "prop wash" to get rid of that danged parasitic drag.

On the muffler bearings, it seems like for the newer vehicles, my mechanic told me they're easier to replace using a left-handed crescent.

Jack

You fool, everyone knows it has to be a METRIC left-handed crescent wrench….
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 07:52 PM

I change them when they start squeaking. Not very often.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 08:01 PM

Same time I swap the tires' winter air gor summer air.

Usually buy a bucket of steam.at the same time, clean everything up.good.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 08:08 PM

I change em when I grease the windshield pistons.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 08:13 PM

I guess I wasn't aware vehicles had them. Where are they located and how often do they need serviced?
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 10:28 PM

I knew I forgot something. I was going to grease them when I got done changing my piston return springs.
Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 10:33 PM

Jack

If this idiot had been just a bit smarter I would have told him about the parasite drag and told him to order some Ivermectin. He still be there trying to figure that out !
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/16/23 11:37 PM

I worked at a large paper mill. One of the machines had a problem so the machine leader called one of the electricians who worked there to fix it. The electrician found the problem and corrected it. The machine leader asked the electrician what the problem was he replied he changed the flux capacitor ( back to the future )
The machine leader bought right into it. He wrote it down in the log for the machine. Word got around very quickly that he had fallen for that trick. BTW the machine leader was not very liked by all so everyone got a laugh out of the incident , except for some of the bosses who had a talk with the electrician....lol.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 01:31 AM

My muffler bearings are sealed and can't be greased... so I pay extra for the marine grade ones.

And I replace them at the same time I replace the BA 1100 NST ring on my tires... Don't want them leaking air and going flat.

Mike
Posted By: Average Joe

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 01:48 AM

Don’t forget to adjust the Fetzer valve while you’re at it,
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 01:59 AM

My 2002 Chevy S-10 came with a lifetime exhaust system and believe it or not, even after over 200,000 miles, I've never had to replace the muffler bearings. Can't say that for the flux capacitor though. It's starting to oscillate when I get her up over 100mph.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 02:12 AM

We used to send the new kid down to the parts store for spark plug gaps. One called back and asked how many cylinders.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 09:07 PM

You also better check the muffler belt, if that breaks the exhaust will fill the car.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Stake
You also better check the muffler belt, if that breaks the exhaust will fill the car.

Wait?
Don't we WANT it to fit????
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 10:12 PM

Don't forget the smoke grinder.......
Posted By: Mainelogger

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 11:32 PM

Make sure your muffler bearings are greased as well. I worked with a gentlemen when I was in the logging industry who swore he greased his machine daily but everytime a repair was needed and we had to punch out a pin it was bone dry and had looked like it had never seen grease gun. We knew the man was honest as they come because he swore on God and his family that he greased every day. Only thing we could come up with was this gentleman's machine was obviously invested with grease worms!!!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/17/23 11:49 PM

Hey, 20 years ago the phrase "Exhaust Fluid" would have fit in here but now it's an actual thing I guess.

About 30 years ago we told an annoying new kid to go to the Missoula airport and pick up "Mr Heaters" that were coming in on a flight. I guess the kid spent an hour running around asking people if they were "Mr. Heater". I guess we should have clarified that "Mr Heater" was cargo, not a passenger.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 01:15 AM

You can greasen the Muffler Bearings but make sure you put them in right and not Backwards!!! Make sure when you Rotate the tires that you only rotate them half a Turn not a full turn otherwise the trad will all be wore off on one side.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 01:19 AM

I don’t change mine because I don’t own a metric crescent wrench.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 02:52 AM

I'm cheap so I just repack mine with hi-temp grease. Only every other year when I clean out the Hydraucilator.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 09:46 AM

Im sure coonmans bearings are out and need repleced.
Posted By: run

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 04:03 PM

Just need to apply fluid film on a regular basis.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 04:24 PM

mine are brass and guaranteed to last the life of my ford
Posted By: hippie

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 04:25 PM

Just rotate them once a year and they'll last forever.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 04:31 PM

I contracted a very large and expensive home remodel 20 some years ago, cost plus on everything. I had my Supt hire a laborer, nicest young man on the planet but not really “with it”.
Every day he was kept busy with lots of explanation on what exactly they needed him to do. Some days they ran out of work for him.
On those days my Sup would send him to the hardware store maybe 20 minutes away. He would send him for left handed wrenches, vertically threaded screws, cans of compression etc. My Sups buddy owned the hardware store and was in on it so he would ask our guy what about the other hand wrench, how hi were the threads on the screws that were needed, what color can of compression etc.
The young man had no cell phone so whatever the item of that day the two had him driving back and forth all afternoon. The young man was always the happier and it only cost me some fuel to keep him around.
Those guys were really creative and I always enjoyed the next episode.

Osky
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 08:55 PM

We sent guys for sawdust pumps and board stretchers many times at the Mill
Posted By: TC1

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 08:58 PM

Blinker fluid is always a good one..
Posted By: WI Outdoors

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Blinker fluid is always a good one..

There was a thread on that. That's why I started this one. Lol.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/18/23 10:42 PM

Sorry, missed it..
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 03:14 AM

I solved the problem by removing the muffler.
Posted By: Mike C

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 05:00 AM

I replace mine at the same time I replace the piston return springs.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
We used to send the new kid down to the parts store for spark plug gaps. One called back and asked how many cylinders.

We'd send new kids to the neighboring dealer to ask for fallopian tubes...
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 12:00 PM

I can't see anywhere on my extended car warranty where it covers muffler bearings. I have never had to replace mine so no biggie.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 01:26 PM

I'm dreading my next check-up. I imagine I'll have to replace the warn hubs.

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 05:52 PM

I'm dreading my next check-up. I imagine I'll have to replace the warn hubs.

That made me winch.......er I mean wince !
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mando

Same time I change the upper and lower radiator hoses on my 1968 VW Bug.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/19/23 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
I can't see anywhere on my extended car warranty where it covers muffler bearings. I have never had to replace mine so no biggie.

They are not covered by the warranty because they are a wear item.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/20/23 12:47 AM

I am going to ask the new fella I hired, tomorrow))))))))!!!!! He is the correct age to ask that ???
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Muffler bearings? - 07/20/23 12:48 AM

He will
Probably ask Alexa)))). Or YouTube it)))))!!!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums