Home

Antique store find of sentimental value

Posted By: Chuckles84

Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:31 PM

My granda began working at the local Texaco station when he was 16 years old in 1945, he and a friend eventual purchased the station. They ran it together for years before his friend retired in the late 80s or very early 90s. My uncle then became a partner with him. At some point Texaco pulled out of the area and it became a Unocal 76 station. Grandpa's health finally got bad enough that my dad and uncle made the decision to close up shop in 1998. Grandpa worked 53 years at his first and only job. It was the last true full service station in our town. It was my grandpa's first job, my dads first, my uncles first, and my first. He passed in 2000 and even now it still gets to me. So to say I have an affinity for texaco memorabilia is an understatement and I have always wanted to find something from his station out in the wild. Well today it finally happened. The moment I saw it I didnt care what the price was it was coming home with me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:33 PM

congratulations on finding a piece of your familys history. very special find. i had a similar thing happen a few years back too.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:37 PM

Is that from the family station, or close enough? If from the actual station, it truly is a great find, and 'family heirloom' . cool

Charlie

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Is that from the family station, or close enough? If from the actual station, it truly is a great find, and 'family heirloom' . cool

Charlie

Yes its the family station. I check ebay every once in a while to see if any show up and always check local antique stores when I pass through. Found it the next town south of us.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:42 PM

Congratulations on your find, great story too.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/15/23 11:53 PM

Thank you for the reply, Chuckles. I am very happy that you were able to find such a treasure. smile smile smile

Charlie
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 12:27 AM

Im very happy for You!!!
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 12:32 AM

Nice find! great to find a piece of family history. My wife's father owned a Skelly station. They sold off a bunch of stuff when we were not aware of it. We did manage to get a few things for our sons latter on.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 12:57 AM

Great find for sure. Congratulations!!!!!
Posted By: Actor

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 01:08 AM

Being our family historian, I know how much that must mean to you. Congratulations on a great find and addition to your family memorabilia collection.

Garry-

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 01:14 AM

Thanks everyone. Seems like there is always that one grandparent that you get attached to more than the others. And he was the one for me.

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Nice find! great to find a piece of family history. My wife's father owned a Skelly station. They sold off a bunch of stuff when we were not aware of it. We did manage to get a few things for our sons latter on.

Yeah wish I would have saved a few things before the contents were sold but wasnt much of any branded stuff and most of the tooling was well used and out dated. But sure would have kept some of it. The building set vacant after a couple businesses rented it, and I sat across the street and shed a few tears as I watched them tear it down a few years ago. Lots of memories in that old building.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 06:16 AM

That's a great story
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 12:16 PM

Very cool

Wife's family had a dairy in New York. I have found a few things and bought them for my wife. Some of the best gifts I have given her according to her
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 01:46 PM

Congrats, that is very cool. My sister this past year found a couple of items from my family men's and boys' clothing store we owned. Recently my wife found a hat in our upstairs from a local truck and auto repair. His daughter is a good friend and when we sent her a picture she flipped out and couldn't believe it. They have nothing left. Cool stuff.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/16/23 03:36 PM

And the price was more than fair. Great story.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/17/23 12:01 AM

That is a better than bagging a B&C whitetail!

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/17/23 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by proratman
That is a better than bagging a B&C whitetail!

Absolutely
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/17/23 02:48 AM

Chuckles84- Cool story. I'm glad you scored!!

Those WWII/Korea War era guys were cut from a different bolt of cloth than more recent generations. I'm not saying their aren't great MEN in more recent generations but the ratios have gone compared to that generation. Display your Texaco stuff proudly in the honor of your forefathers...
Posted By: micheal

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/17/23 02:23 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/17/23 04:15 PM

Love it! Congrats!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/18/23 06:30 AM

That's unbelievable!
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Antique store find of sentimental value - 07/18/23 11:58 PM

Cool find! Congrats