Home

Bird Sharing

Posted By: Slick Pan

Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 09:25 PM

These are western tanagers that appear on my property when the berries are ripe which is now. They sure are a good looking bird. I did not take the photo. Though maybe some on here may have never seen them so sharing a bird. Do you have a bird to share?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 09:42 PM

I have those Tanagers too, they are found especially in big trees and deep woods. Here's one at the bird bath.

A swallow launching like a missile out of the nest box...and Pileated woodpeckers , here's a couple at suet.

Excuse the less than clear shots. I had an old camera.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 09:49 PM

Those are beautiful
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 09:49 PM

That's a neat idea, Sharon, putting the suety feeder on a pulley. I'll have to modify mine. That's a great shot of the tree swallow, too. Little motion in there? The tanagers and the cowbird on your waterer is great as well. That's the wolf track waterer/birdbath?

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 09:57 PM

Really like those western tanagers, Slick Pan. Nice shot. We've got them periodically, but not regular.

This year we've got two hen Gambell's quail nesting in the yard, so the male's are on the black sunflower feeder almost constantly.
[Linked Image]

Besides the tanagers, I really like the colors on the lazuli buntings.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 10:56 PM

[Linked Image]

prothonotary warbler

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 10:57 PM

The pileated woodpeckers are phenomenal. I have them here also. They remind me of a prehistoric type bird.
We have quail every year. I have not seen the babies this year as in the past. Not sure they hatched or they moved on. We do not have the Bunting where I live in the forest. I wish we had more verity. Sometimes we have the Clark's nut hatch which are neat. The buntings are real pretty. Never seen some of those.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 10:58 PM

[Linked Image]

Indigo Bunting that flew into the window and regained his senses and flew off

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 10:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Good crop of painted buntings this year

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/11/23 11:59 PM

Love Painted Buntings. They are the reason I got into feeding birds decades ago, when I’d see them in south FLA .

Jack, I have suet on three trees high up on pulleys, to keep bears from stealing them. I’ve had no problems since. In winter, everyone is so impatient they follow the suet on the trunks as I pull it back up from refilling.

That is an old bird bath in that shot. The nice one with your wuff design was just a few feet away. I have three different baths, so everyone can have fun without crowding each other.

Jonathan loved that swallow pic. It reminded him of the torpedos launched from the subs he was on in his military service. “One ping only…”

He would love this thread.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 12:34 AM

In the early mornings, when it was mostly still dark, a bird would start singing a very pretty song. It reminded me of a robin's morning song, but I knew it wasn't. I used my Merlin app to ID the song, and they called it the Dawn Song, which was definitely fitting.

It's a relative of your bird, Slick Pan... (I didn't take the picture either)...

[Linked Image]

.... a Summer Tanager.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 01:20 AM

My favorite bird in this area is the scarlet tanager …. They are difficult for me to get a good picture of as they stay fairly high in the trees ,,,,fortunately they nest around my cabin in the spring so I get to hear their beautiful song ….

Attached picture IMG_0397.jpeg
Posted By: Tray

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 01:57 AM

The wonder of birds is in the striking colors, while all birds have their special features it’s the striking colors of some that catch our eyes.
Here is a little sample from last couple weeks.

Attached picture 8436E709-3C34-487C-886B-52998BF5D631.jpeg
Attached picture 0D86109F-3691-4EE6-92C0-112FFD5FADD2.jpeg
Attached picture 282A1FFA-BAD4-4EA4-9063-95AE686D9715.jpeg
Attached picture CC5A150F-1F1E-429B-871F-9094B5278905.jpeg
Attached picture E14DC236-BD7D-480B-85F7-F798C338DFF3.jpeg
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 02:08 AM

Just Amazing...each and every one.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 02:30 AM

yotetrapper30: this morning when I was out on my property I came across a flock of the Western Tanagers and they were singing. I never have had that experience before. Adding the song bird story to your post made me think about that.

Tray, would you identify the birds in the photos please ? Without me spending hours researching them it would be helpful as I am not a bird expert. Thank you
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tray
The wonder of birds is in the striking colors, while all birds have their special features it’s the striking colors of some that catch our eyes.

1) Dicksissel?
2) Indigo Bunting
3) Scarlet Tanager
4) Common Yellowthroat
5) Yellow Headed Blackbird

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

1) Dicksissel?
2) Indigo Bunting
3) Scarlet Tanager
4) Common Yellowthroat

Well done

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 10:40 AM

That YH Blackbird is something cool

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
That YH Blackbird is something cool

Until you have to listen to their voice...

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 02:48 PM

grin What's wrong, Jack ? You don't care for that metallic engine sound ? laugh
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 02:53 PM

Great pics guys!!

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
grin What's wrong, Jack ? You don't care for that metallic engine sound ? laugh

A lot like my first wife; nice to look at, but once they open their mouths, it's all screeching and grating...

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 04:03 PM

grin Now Ive got a new mental program to delete the next time I hear a YH !
Posted By: Skogmann

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 06:46 PM

Thank you for sharing. Love the colors of birds. Truly God's artwork.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 06:56 PM

The three summer grosbeaks. In winter, we sometimes get pine grosbeaks as well, but I don't have good photos. The evening and black-headed grosbeaks are regulars. The third one is a rose-breasted grosbeak, and this is the only one we've ever seen in Idaho. They are supposedly common a few hundred miles to the east of us.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 06:59 PM

Great Grosbeak pics

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 07:08 PM

Jack.

Now THAT'S a sound that drives me insane ! Those blasted Evening Grosbeaks. All they have is a loud , strident mono tone whistle . One or two is bad enough. But get a flock together, and the peace of the estate flies out the window smile All you hear is a bedlam of noise, that totally drowns out all the other birds. Or if you want quiet. Imagine a whole flock of your ex wife's voice ! LOL

If only they are like the Black-Headed Grosbeaks. Their song is absolutely melodious...a joy to hear. And they're gorgeous. They are here too, but not in near the numbers.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 07:27 PM

rose-breasted grosbeak-never seen one before in Montana. Thanks for sharing the grosbeak photos. Very enjoyable to see.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 07:36 PM

More Grebe Pictures.
The Clark’s and Western Grebes look very similar, and often group up together on large wetlands to nest. Clark’s are identified by the eye being completely surrounded by white feathers while the Western will have the eye in the black. There is also some differences in bill color and body color but the eye is the easiest way to separate. Due to the fact they are closely related and group up together there will also be hybrids (photo 4) where eye is neither in black or white.
Last photo is of their “rushing” dance which is actually a long process of posturing and displaying before the pair suddenly dance across the top of the water for quite a distance.

Attached picture D752A649-CB50-4C27-8520-D46470F1C9C2.jpeg
Attached picture 8168A555-A27F-4685-8A41-BFC672A702AF.jpeg
Attached picture 844B5F04-02AE-4805-87D0-6F6CDF7C0FDE.jpeg
Attached picture D6B66615-AE52-4130-839F-44CFE3193F23.jpeg
Attached picture 465FDB9F-B7EE-40F2-B23D-CC5E89106907.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 08:02 PM

All extremely great photos Tray. The hybrid of the western and Clark's is priceless. Do you see them quite a bit? I've watched the dance many times; never ceases to amaze me.

Jack
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 08:36 PM

Migratory songbirds are some neat little creatures!

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/12/23 09:54 PM

I saw this bird one spring feeding in a wet field. For years I looked and talked to people trying to figure out what I had seen. Then a friend gave me Sibley field guide to western birds which I use quit often. Bingo!

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
All extremely great photos Tray. The hybrid of the western and Clark's is priceless. Do you see them quite a bit? I've watched the dance many times; never ceases to amaze me.

Jack

We are on the extreme eastern edge of the Clark’s range, only see 1-2 a year and they are always paired up with a Western. Hybrids are about as common as a pure Clark’s.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
I saw this bird one spring feeding in a wet field. For years I looked and talked to people trying to figure out what I had seen. Then a friend gave me Sibley field guide to western birds which I use quit often. Bingo!

[Linked Image]u

And just when you think you have it figured out then a Glossy shows up. We have them occasionally mix in with flocks of White-faced Ibis but it takes a lot of patience on the scope to scan thru and look for one.

Attached picture D5B64A72-63E7-45AF-9891-EF48A5B1082D.jpeg
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 12:50 AM

I never get tired of these threads!

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 12:57 AM

Like the Ibis. When I lived in FLA, white Ibis were all over the place. Then I saw my first Scarlet Ibis. I was transfixed.

Sure like the metallic tones on yours, Tray.

I enjoy the Grebes too, here. Same types.

You would take wonderful shots of loons , I’m sure.
Posted By: Range

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 01:25 AM

Great pictures. Good info on the hybrid greebs. I often see ones that I cannot decide which ones they are. Now I am thinking they are hybrid.
I found this good mama in the trail the other day. She was distracting me from her babies.
[Linked Image]
I thought I got video of the babies but apparently I am technologically challenged.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 12:36 PM

Absolutely awesome photos, you guys!!
I am no photographer nor do I have the proper equipment but often see pretty cool wildlife and birds from my windows and snap quick, often blurry photos whenever I see something noteworthy. I thought I might share a few.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't see these very often where I live so I snapped it.
[Linked Image]
This guy was braving a blizzard to get some sunflower seeds.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 01:18 PM

Wow, you really get a wide variety of wildlife from your house.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 01:39 PM

Wow, you really get a wide variety of wildlife from your house.

I get many duck species in the spring and see many beaver, otter, muskrats, bear, and deer from my windows as well. The photos are not of great quality, but I do have pictures of all of those I just mentioned. My house sits about 20 feet from the water.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 01:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 01:48 PM

330 - That's hilarious!

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 08:48 PM

I have these on my property sometimes. Clark's Nutcracker:
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 08:59 PM

I have them pretty regular, but they don't use the feeder. I've never been able to get a good picture. That one is great, Slick Pan! Looks like a banded bird.

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]

That’s cool, do you know the story behind the band?

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 11:26 PM

That’s cool, do you know the story behind the band?

No

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 11:29 PM

Some Least Sandpiper reflection shots. Shorebird migration has already started for the fall and there are usually the earliest sandpipers to come thru headed south.

Attached picture 02E92A44-2D24-4127-9E13-644FF800BD0E.jpeg
Attached picture E84A61A5-C809-49FA-9914-8D13FF7F81A3.jpeg
Attached picture 853C5FD8-BAFF-4046-BD02-E9BEA244617B.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/13/23 11:31 PM

Some Least Sandpiper reflection shots. Shorebird migration has already started for the fall and there are usually the earliest sandpipers to come thru headed south.

Who would have though that. Interesting.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
I have those Tanagers too, they are found especially in big trees and deep woods. Here's one at the bird bath.

A swallow launching like a missile out of the nest box...and Pileated woodpeckers , here's a couple at suet.

Excuse the less than clear shots. I had an old camera.

[Linked Image]

Good picture of a Violet -green Swallow Tachycineta thalassina females have white above their eyes and your shows it.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

1) Dicksissel?
2) Indigo Bunting
3) Scarlet Tanager
4) Common Yellowthroat

These guys have showed up in Manitoba this year, it must be because of the dry conditions south of us
good job yotetrapper30
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 02:36 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 02:52 AM

Nice peaceful shot, Hoss.

N50, correct, I have both violet greens and tree swallows that like my nest boxes.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 11:27 AM

Jonathan would be proud. I just went through the entire three pages again. What a grand collection of everyone's birds! Good job, everybody. Thanks.

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 12:44 PM

Some more blurry ones taken though the windows of my home:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 02:20 PM

Sharron you are good at picking up whatever I lay down. Peaceful is always the mood watching the sunset over Corpus Christi bay with a big platter of seafood and crustaceans in front of me. That night, a pelican just happened to basically pose for a portrait.

I actually love watching them. They are literally the best fishermen I have ever seen. They look awkward but they sit on those poles and when they spot a fish, they demonstrate that God's creation is perfect.
Good watching I always thought.

Re: Bird Sharing - 07/14/23 02:35 PM

Hard to beat that meal and scenery, Hoss.

In FLA, the Brown pelicans would line up on the marina docks and wait for scraps when the fishing boats would come in.

Besides the peacefulness of water, big mountains and rivers are my ultimate peace as well.

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 01:26 AM

MnMan can you tell me what is on that loon head, blackflies, gammarus freshwater shrimp, or lice ?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 09:14 AM

This guy was hanging around the yard looking at the quail pen. Peregrine ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 10:38 AM

Jeff, that might be a sharp shinned hawk. Great pictures of the snow buntings. I hear that they are in my area occasionally but I've never seen one

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 10:44 AM

Jeff, I believe that’s a Merlin. Great pic
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 10:50 AM

Here's a couple of mine. A cardinal, Nuthatch and a Cedar Waxwing

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 01:00 PM

Beautiful pics what a gift of nature and yet some people never witness such magic
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 01:14 PM

I miss Jonathan
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 01:41 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 01:58 PM

Really nice pictures everyone.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 02:08 PM

Great shots from all of you that posted Once again I am amazed by all the trappers who according to the antis All we want to do is kill something Devote so much time and effort feeding and and photographing song birds and other non game species .

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 03:15 PM

Tatiana -

Excellent! Thanks!

Jack
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 03:44 PM

Those Bohemian waxwings are a beautiful bird. Love the crown.

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 04:10 PM

Jack. If only folks could hear the song of the Black-headed Grosbeak. They are uncommon.

I suppose it is like the song of the Varied Thrush. One of my most favorite songs to hear in early spring.

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 04:36 PM

American goldfinch
[Linked Image]

Cassin's finch
[Linked Image]

Lewis woodpecker
[Linked Image]

Willettt
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 06:03 PM

Thanks for posting those pics Tatiana, really like the woodpecker that’s such a cool bird.

Re: Bird Sharing - 10/21/23 06:15 PM

A few warblers from the fall migration.

Ovenbird
Blackpole Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Wilson’s Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler

Attached picture 53169371246_283c7bd8ea_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53153546574_c59bf4c944_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53150373130_306da9df82_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53134386230_dca1e66cb6_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53129037332_18de0cc32f_o.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 11/02/23 03:18 AM

Thanks for posting Tatiana but your sparrow pic is of the European tree sparrow and is quite rare in NA and cross breeds with the English Sparrow, the brown cap is the ID
Tray you hiding the wing patch of the chestnut side
Posted By: Lenny50

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 04:14 PM

And their calls and songs. I can’t imagine one without the other.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
I thought I'd post some of our most common birds. Boreal Eurasia is pretty monotonous ornithology-wise, so they all have actual vernacular English (British) names.

This one should be pretty common in the US, too.
[Linked Image]

Fieldfares are the most common local thrush species. Some years they form big flocks in the winter, like waxwings.
[Linked Image]

Just a pair of great tits. They like human company in the winter.
[Linked Image]

Our biggest and most brazen woodpecker, the black woodpecker. They are very curious and will often follow you in the woods, screaming loudly.
[Linked Image]

The nuthatch is a frequent bird feeder visitor (and bacon lover).
[Linked Image]

Tree pipits are among the earliest birds to arrive from Africa.
[Linked Image]

So are wagtails. They become one of the most abundant insectivorous species in the suburbs because tits and chickadees mostly leave residential areas by mid-May.
[Linked Image]

This is what an actual goldfinch in the initial sense of the word looks like. They are incredibly hardy birds. I often see them flying and feeding at temperatures approaching -40 C (or F) when few other birds are visible. They visit bird feeders, but it's not uncommon to see them feeding on burdock seeds out in the forest-steppe.
[Linked Image]

We have two sympatric species of cuckoos here, that are a bit hard to tell apart visually. This one's the common cuckoo. They become very visible and easy to photograph early in the mating season, in June. They spend winters in Southeast Asia.
[Linked Image]

The most common woodpecker species in boreal Eurasia. As far as I know, Greater spotted woodpeckers sometimes visit Alaska, much to the local birders' delight, but they belong here. They're loud birds, and not too smart. They taste okay, though.
[Linked Image]

Our Bohemian waxwings are a bit different from your Cedar waxwings.
[Linked Image]

they gather in HUGE loud flocks in the winter and can completely strip mountain ash and crab apples off their frozen fruit in a matter of minutes.
[Linked Image]

Very nice shots.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 04:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Im so Jealous. Id love to see them.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 04:51 PM

The cedar waxwings really work the mountain ash and the blooming chokecherries around here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 05:00 PM

Love that Waxwing headshot!

Here's a Gray or Canada Jay. Outside Rangely Maine
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 05:05 PM

Common Loon with a snack. CT

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 05:07 PM

Pilliated Female, Maine

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 05:17 PM

Juvenile Bald Eagle and Otter. I know the pic is not the best but I was 500 yards away! I adj the aperture for more depth of field trying to get both animals in focus but didn't notice my ISO went through the roof in the heat of the moment. Going from shooting Otters in the dark water to BIF Eagles requires fast camera adjustments and I don't always get it right, lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 05:22 PM

Perhaps my favorite Bird. So intelligent, such character.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MJM

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 11:08 PM

On the nest.
[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/06/23 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
On the nest.
[Linked Image]

That’s cool, where was that picture taken?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Jonathan would be proud.

Jack

As is scrolled through this thread again I was thinking how Jonathan would have loved it and no doubt would have participated in it with some of his spectacular pictures. Great captures everyone!

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 01:19 AM

Tray, it was on Tangik Island, in the Aleutian Islands AK. There were 100's of pairs of the nesting on the hill side. We walked up, laid down and stuck our camera down the burrow arms length and took a picture. You would pull it out and look at it, if it was bad, you deleted it and took another. They are neat to watch. They fly laps in a large oval. They would all take off at once and come back in on the same lap.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
Tray, it was on Tangik Island, in the Aleutian Islands AK. There were 100's of pairs of the nesting on the hill side. We walked up, laid down and stuck our camera down the burrow arms length and took a picture. You would pull it out and look at it, if it was bad, you deleted it and took another. They are neat to watch. They fly laps in a large oval. They would all take off at once and come back in on the same lap.

Interesting, thanks. I would love to visit that part of the county some day.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 02:20 AM

I could look at bird pics for hours. Never get old.
Welcome aboard Lenny. Thanks for the pics.
Will have to disagree about the Blue Jay though.
Yep, they are smart!. They seem to know when I'm gone and will come n pluck the baby robins/ doves out of the nest.
Dispise them.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 02:21 AM

Tray There are a lot of neat birds there. Waterfowl we never see here. I really enjoyed my time on the islands. Look Tangik Island up, so you know where to head too.:)
You can fly to Akutan and skiff over. When we left Tangik we skiffed over to Akutan, four of us in two 17 ft inflatables loaded with camo gear. Ran back the second day to get what we could not haul the first day. We flew out to Dutch Harbor on a Goose.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/07/23 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
I could look at bird pics for hours. Never get old.
Welcome aboard Lenny. Thanks for the pics.
Will have to disagree about the Blue Jay though.
Yep, they are smart!. They seem to know when I'm gone and will come n pluck the baby robins/ doves out of the nest.
Dispise them.

Thank you. I was a member here many moons ago but had to re-register due to old email no longer used.
Understood about the jays but many other birds do that as well. Its the hard facts about wildlife. It ain't no hollywood disney show. We all know that so preaching to the choir here. Trappers are the most knowledgeable Wildlife people there are and in my opinion and experience have more respect for the outdoors than many fisherman and some hunters.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/08/23 08:49 PM

Will keep this post going, a few more bird pics. Some I may have posted before but I’m going thru some of my favorites from this previous year.

Attached picture 53015407740_046fd718f3_o.jpeg
Attached picture 52959779197_4a55ee482f_o.jpeg
Attached picture 52966340595_fd2046eeca_o.jpeg
Posted By: k snow

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/08/23 08:52 PM

Amazing pictures.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/08/23 08:54 PM

Good shots, Tray!!!

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/09/23 12:08 AM

Pine Grosbeak-russet Variant I took the picture this fall on my property during a migration. They were feeding on service berry bush. Not a great photo but this is a rather rare bird in our area. Talked to a couple bird guys and they said they had never seen one in the wild.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/09/23 12:37 AM

Pine Grosbeak-russet Variant I took the picture this fall on my property during a migration. They were feeding on service berry bush. Not a great photo but this is a rather rare bird in our area. Talked to a couple bird guys and they said they had never seen one in the wild.

[Linked Image]

We’ve had a bunch of sightings in SD this fall and early winter which is not common. Looks like it might be an irruption year for them. Might be somewhat related to all the fires in Canada this summer that are forcing birds to find new areas.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/09/23 04:01 PM

Ruddy Duck rushing the camera

Attached picture IMG_5327.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/09/23 06:04 PM

Pine grosbeak major food source in winter is ash seeds so they are a bird on the watch list for decline. Our droughts have put the ash on stress and they are covered with seeds this fall.

once they learn what bird feeders are they cue into black sunflower seeds. We had some very interesting band returns 1000's of miles away years later years ago

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/09/23 07:32 PM

What amazing shots, everyone. The angles, too, are magnificent. Well done, everyone.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/10/23 06:05 PM

Pileated woodpecker

Attached picture 53244502306_8261d2000d_o.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/10/23 10:04 PM

American Rough-legged hawk. Newly-hatched youngsters and prey (note the short-tailed weasel). Western end of Brooks Range, Alaska.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 01:42 AM

There are lots of Rough-legged halk moving south now around here with little snow cover. One of the few halks that can hover over their prey for minutes at a time.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 01:50 AM

My Finnish X Siberian female Goshawk. Not sure why it’s sideways, but oh well.

Attached picture IMG_9589.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 02:15 AM

Love the color of your Goshawk. Cool bird

The migration patterns on those Rough-leggeds is crazy, they can really cover a lot of country. We have a lot of voles this year so they are really stacked up around here.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 02:47 AM

I wish we had trees I haven’t seen 90% of those birds and I’ve been in the outdoors since I could walk. The big red headed looking woodpeckers are amazing. Thanks for everyone that posted
Posted By: shanemoss

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 04:10 AM

This thread has me thinking of Jonathan. Miss his post, still.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/11/23 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Raptortrapper
My Finnish X Siberian female Goshawk. Not sure why it’s sideways, but oh well.

That's COOL! Looked into falconry at one time and considered it but I realized I did not have the time to commit to doing it.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 01:02 PM

I few bands, last pic all 6 are banded. Must be a family group that was banded in summer and is still together.

Attached picture 53362970588_821200914e_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53363084734_060d47d2e2_o.jpeg
Attached picture DSC_6494.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 01:21 PM

Good picture there Tray. They are placing more tracking bands on the birds now so they can alter the spring seasons on the resident geese vs the high artic birds with the recoveries.
Those bands record the day light in intervals so they can figure the degrees latt. the birds fly to. Some are still recording 5 years into their use

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 03:32 PM

From previous band recoveries it’s most likely these geese are from the Calgary area. But anything is possible.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 10:16 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 10:45 PM

From previous band recoveries it’s most likely these geese are from the Calgary area. But anything is possible.

our Winnipeg giant Canada geese go to two locations Swan Lake Minn or Rochester Minn. Seems that up to 50% of the Calgary geese do not migrate but feed on dried grass

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 10:58 PM

Gulo, great pic. Not often you find a snipe out in the open, but if you do it’s sitting on a fence post calling. Love the sound of their display flight.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 11:04 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, Tray. Back when I could hear, the winnowing was one of my favorites. My wife, who can still hear (doesn't have 7 thousand SuperCub hours) tells me pretty much every evening when we're enjoying our toddies, that the snipe at our house are winnowing.

Jack

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/12/23 11:13 PM

Love hearing snipe too, Jack. There’s no other sound like them. It adds to the quiet peacefulness of a creek or river.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/22/23 08:23 PM

It’s a good vole year, and with that comes the predators. These Short-eared Owls are fairly active at dawn and dusk and are easily recognizable at a distance from the erratic flight pattern.

Attached picture DSC_6650.jpeg
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/22/23 09:40 PM

[Linked Image]
In between hunting, fishing, and bronzing the wife and I checked out Volcano National park. This bird is called “Nene”. A native Hawaiian goose

Re: Bird Sharing - 12/23/23 01:38 AM

I love owls just such a interesting bird.

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 12:10 AM

[Linked Image]

Not a bird but I figure no one will mind..

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 12:30 AM

Just returned from a trip to the jungles of Belize, so many awesome and colorful birds. Got to experience an army ant swarm moving thru the jungle floor, there is a number of birds that specialize in following these swarms catching bugs that the ants flush out. It’s kinda chaos with all the activity and trying to find and ID all the different birds. One thing I’ve learned about birding in the jungle is it really helps to have a local, guys that bird all the time and know the different calls will help locate and find the birds much faster then I can.
Also found a fresh set of Jaguar tracks in the same location I did a couple years ago when I was there. Really wish I had the time to run a few trail cameras when I’m there.

Attached picture 53529484410_923d7381c5_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53528992085_5edf4fbe77_o.jpeg
Attached picture 53528114557_f7d4b550d6_o.jpeg
Attached picture DSC_7543.jpeg
Attached picture 53529125158_e8205d1b88_o.jpeg

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:18 AM

Tray,Im curious, Does Merlin work there?
That Tucan is crazy!

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lenny50
Tray,Im curious, Does Merlin work there?

Yes it does, but it didn’t seem as accurate as when I’ve used it in the US, and there was a few birds that it didn’t have. I would say it worked 95% of the time.
Sometimes there is so many different birds singing at the same time so I think that confused it as much as it overwhelmed me.

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:26 AM

Yeah that makes sense. Even 95% is pretty good though. Id need it if I went there!

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:30 AM

Tray not many jumping up to ID those 5 birds.
I'm passing the challenge

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Tray not many jumping up to ID those 5 birds.
I'm passing the challenge

LOL

I didn’t figure anyone would try…..but your sure welcome to

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 01:46 AM

Thanks for the nice pictures. I recognize one. grin

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 04:12 AM

Took awhile to find; Forked tail flycatcher[i] Tyrannus savana[/
and 5 minutes later Keel-billed toucan Ramphastos sulfuratus

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 04:30 AM

Thanks for the nice pictures. I recognize one. grin

nope not a Scissor tailed flycatcher T forticatus

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Took awhile to find; Forked tail flycatcher[i] Tyrannus savana[/
and 5 minutes later Keel-billed toucan Ramphastos sulfuratus

Yes….I figured most people wouid know the Toucan from watching cereal ads as a kid.

Re: Bird Sharing - 02/22/24 11:40 AM

Northern Bentbill
Fork-tailed Flycatcher
Tawny-winged Woodcreeper
Keel Billed Toucan
Green Honeycreeper
© 2024 Trapperman Forums